1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something I really liked from a book...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BeautifulStranger, Dec 3, 2008.

1. BeautifulStranger

Okay, many of you know my views on using words like 'gay' or 'faggot' and stuff like that. I have no problem with it, unless it's used against me by a 'friend' (example: Sal yelling at me and calling me a fucking faggot, even though he too is gay).
    I'm reading the book 'Am I Blue?' which is a collection of original short stories all centered around kids who have either come out or are coming out. It's absolutely wonderful. I highly recommend it.
    Well, I was reading the story 'Am I Blue' and the character's Fairy Godfather, Melvin, put things so wonderfully... Here's what he said.

I don't think a fictional charcter has ever said anything better!

2. Ronnie92

VERY NICE! I seriously was uncomfortable with the word truly, I guess I should take the word back now

3. Paralyzer

Sure I guess, but I don't really feel like saying it 'takes the word back.'
    I'm not saying it doesn't.. it's probably really effective

I just don't see how it does

*thought*
    We should change the ending vowel and deem the correct spelling of the word 'offensive and oppressive.'

4. davo-man

Hmmm, I'm not entirely in agreeance. I simply don't like the word fag/faggot...As I so eloquently put to my mate last night, "When people use that word, either insulting me or anything else, I feel like bashing their brains in". It makes me feel like they're putting me (personally) down, regardless of whether it's even directed at me.

I guess one way to stop this is to use it our selves, but I think it's just so ingrained in my brain that it's offensive that I couldn't even stomach it even if my best friends used it jovially towards me.

5. Psychedelic Bookmarks

That's why I'm OK with 'dyke' so long as it's used in that context. But when it's just used by a straight person in the original context, then, no.