1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Documenting your relationship on YouTube

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Anongirl123, May 31, 2015.

1. Anongirl123

What do you think of people who document their relationship on YouTube?

I noticed that two popular LGBT YouTubers (Ally Hills and Stevie) recently got together, and everyone is flipping out with excitement. Only recently though, another big YouTube couple (Matthew Lush and Nick Laws) split up, and people were heartbroken.

Do you think it's a good idea for people to put their relationship on the internet? On one hand, it can be an inspiration for young people who don't have any real-life relationships to look up to. Not to mention that it can also be really entertaining and fun to keep up with an online couple. But when they break up, it's such a downer. :frowning2: When a YouTube couple is together, all anyone says is "omg, relationship goals, my otp, this is the greatest thing ever!", and when they break up, it switches to "wow, thanks guys, I don't even believe in true love anymore..."

Opinions?

2. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is something to be said about maintaining a public and private space. I have a Youtube Let's Play couple that I follow that I think have the right idea. They focus on doing what they like to do, but they don't go into nitty gritty details about their relationship. I really admire them for being able to have a life in the eye of the public without airing their dirty laundry.

3. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it can lead to people on Youtube being jealous and possibly compromise the relationship. I don't think it is a good idea.

4. Rainbows~Exist

On YouTube... I wouldn't say that it's a good or bad idea thing to do. It's basically up to the YouTuber. For vloggers I think it's a good idea as their particular fanbase feels as if they're included in their YouTubers's life, plus as a vlogger you would almost be expected to share a lot with your viewers.

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it's okay with both of them, I don't see anything wrong with it.

6. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't really appreciate the "look at us" attitude of YouTube couples out there. I've watched some of the videos... it's all very pretentious. Where do these people get off thinking we give a shit about their lives? They are not real celebrities yet the Internet gives them the idea that they can broadcast their mundane lives into actual stardom. I think using social media to publicize every aspect of your personal matters is very unhealthy and gives so-called youtube "celebrities" a false sense of self-importance.

7. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on the profile of the youtubers. In the eyes of the fans and viewers they kinda tend to become one person, so if they were both successful before on youtube one or both of them might suffer because of it. The other unpleasant side is that people can be obnoxious about someone else's private life, especially if they see signs of the relationship failing.

So, yeah, it has its ups and downs, but it mostly depends on the type of viewers you have and how you handle your relationship in public. Young youtubers who are obviously gay, wild, sexy, and not out tend to gather very young female audiences, I don't know why but for some reason they really like gay guys, which is awesome for business but horrible if you want to build something more sustainable. So, when they publicly declare their relationships things quickly get sour.

My personal opinion is that many youtube couples (and youtubers as well) are too young or mentally unstable to cope with the pressure and consequences of a public relationship (life). Youtube is reality TV and should be treated as such.

#7 pinkpanther, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
  8. Lyana

I really think it's up to them. I like several youtube couples -- Rose and Rosie's wedding brought tears to my eyes, and Kaelyn and Lucy's LDR was amazing (still the R, not LD anymore), and Alex and Jake are so inspiring, to name a couple. I doubt I could do it. I can barely broadcast my relationships to people offline, let alone the entire internet. But if they're comfortable doing it, why should I judge?

People fall in love, and sometimes they break up, and that's okay.

9. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'd never do such a thing, and I'm not interested on that kind of stuff.

10. Okayokaayyy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

I like it. It definitely does give younger people a positive outlook on life, and yeah at the same time when they break up, it does become hectic, but I think the most important thing is that it could save others from harming themselves. It sucks when they break up but at the same time we have to realize that they are people as well, just like us. Yes they are definitely an icon but that still doesn't mean their feelings can't change. I really like these types of channels because it lets others know that there are others like them out there and they dont have to be alone. There are some channels that seem a bit pretentious, and its unfortunate, but whatever. I just don't watch them. What I really love about this type of situation is that, even though they're not an "important figure status", it gives LGBT a look at the numbers and gives them people to look up to and we really need that. Maybe that's why it is so much of a downer when we see the perfect couple in our mind break up.

Edit://
    On the other hand, I wouldn't put myself in that position. It is definitely up to the individuals involved in the relationship. It's all a matter of preference, but I LOVE my sense of personal space.

11. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's fine if people want to do it. It can be inspirational and bring awareness but if the couple breaks up then what becomes of the channel? It gets shut down obviously. Personally I could never put my relationship up on the Internet.

I love me some Bria and Chrissy:slight_smile:

12. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I do not have any idea why anyone does this. Who cares about who someone they don't even know is dating?