1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Mom Calls Forums Evil

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Justinian20, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Justinian20

She hates forums a lot, today she went crazy in the afternoon saying that all forums are evil. She reads too much into the media and believes far too much of what the media says, when the media always overexaggerates. She seems to take it way too seriously.

I do not take it seriously as I know the media overdo a lot of stories and they always seem to make note of all the bad things happening in the world and that is easier to exaggerate in comparison to a story on someone helping someone else. I think this may be due to me watching Good News with Russell Howard and comedy shows that make fun of the news as to why I don't take the news very seriously.

2. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds quite ironic that your mother hates forums but listens to too much media. lol

Maybe that is why she hates them?

3. Justinian20

Yes that is why she hates them because of media telling her. She also hates anything that goes against society. She is a complete sheep, following everything and she tries to make me dress how she wants me to dress. Like I brought some tight jeans that fit very tight against my butt and she is disgusted by it even though I'm like "Shut up, it's none of your business what I wear." She also compared me to an older woman who was dressed in one of those really tight fishnet things. I was like, "It's completely different to me, she is way older and I'm a young boy who is finding his fashion and is actually sexy as well."

She hates forums because the media says that the ISIS terrorist group target people on forums and that's why she thinks they be evil cause the media says.

4. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh dear... She needs to learn a little bit more about the internet.

I can understand the dress thing - My Mom isn't a sheep of much anything but she usually compares whatever I wear to older people, even when I'm not trying to be fashionable. lol

Does your mom know you're on a forum? :O

5. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha, do I know a thing or two about that. A certain person I know loves to call things "evil" just because. I do agree that media certainly has a tendency to over-exaggerate, which is another annoying thing because this certain person also tends to believe that too much.

Not much help, but yeah, I just thought I'd say I'm all too familiar with this and it's so frustrating.

6. Justinian20

She has caught me once but doesn't know I'm still on one

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Gays united under the banner of jihad.

Makes total sense.

8. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Forums can draw some very stupid trolls, and you really see, on a forum, how pig-headed and monotone some people are, in their opinions. It is depressing to know someone for several years, on one of these things, and that person's views never change. That person never evolves. That person seems to have intelligence, but that person's shiftlessness makes him or her really seem depressingly one-dimensional.

So forums are really what you make of them. If you obsess over trying to change people who have made up their minds they're not going to change, then you'll find yourself turning into an ugly person. That really just leads to you eventually also becoming entrenched and ceasing to grow, and all for what?

What really helps you learn how to be a good person, though, is to focus on what you can learn from others. If you learn how to evolve and learn how to see ways that you could shift things around, in your mind, and really be able to say, a few weeks later, "I'm really a different person, now," that, to me, is making forums into a good experience, rather than an unhealthy preoccupation.

9. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mother believes almost everything my father says. She also believes almost everything I say, if I make it sound fancy/sciency enough. I've pointed this out and even lent her a book and told her to read the chapter about overcoming people pleasing behaviour. It kind of scares me how overly trusting she can be. I think it's the main reason why people bully her and guess who has to listen to her complain about it.

My father is more of a rational thinker, but he believes in some strange things... even when I explain to him why they're hoaxes or incorrect. I try to be understanding because it can be difficult for some older people to update knowledge they discovered in school.

Some forums are more dangerous than others. EC is well moderated. However, you already know that "evil" is a silly term. At best, your mother is concerned about you and she can't really think for herself. She would benefit from questioning the media. I guess it's one of those "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink" situations.

If I were you, I'd tell her that I'm an adult and I'm smart enough to avoid danger on the internet. Bonus points if you carefully praise her in the process by saying something about how you learned to be vigilant from her. I might also demonstrate my knowledge about a common scam and say I like to keep on top of such things.

10. floridagal1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Some people see as evil that which they do not understand. What a shame.

11. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Your mom is evil...

12. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I burst out laughing when I read your comment Kaiser.

Forums, like many things are not inherently 'evil'. She is just afraid, and fear drives us to do and say strange things.

13. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

Your mom obviously needs to LURK MOAR

14. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

To be fair, some of us are actually pretty evil.

*looks at ryu*
    *looks at kaiser*

*crawls back into Coffin and takes nap*

15. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh. It sounds like she might benefit from seeing a psychologist or therapist, as she seems to display an undue amount of paranoia, and one might even say delusional behavior.

Have you suggested she goes and talks to a mental health professional? Probably not an easy thing to do, though it sounds like she'd benefit from seeing somebody.

Well, good luck, and at least you're not consigned to live with you forever.

Is there any way you can move out soon?

Despite my parents being liberal, I was so much happier at 18 when I left home, words can hardly explain.

16. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    One day I was talking to my mom on the phone and she's like, "Did you see what those liberals did in San Francisco? They passed a law allowing people to marry their pets!" Of course that was followed by a rant about how this was bound to happen after gay marriage was legalized, and how the gays and liberals are ruining America, yadda yadda.

I'm like, "Mom, that can't be real..."

But she insisted it was, and that she had seen the article on her Facebook feed. So I go look it up, and there's a link to an Onion-esque site with an article about a man marrying his dog in San Francisco, with a picture showing the man in a tuxedo, the dog wearing a white veil, and a priest officiating. It looks like the original link was taken down, but the story and picture are shown in this video:

https://youtu.be/1L2Efj5RuNw

I don't think I've ever laughed harder in my life, not only because the picture and article were hilarious, but also because my mom and her dumb conservative friends all thought it was real. So now you can see why I haven't come out to my parents. :dry:

Anyway, what's the deal with your mom, Justinian? She thinks all forums anywhere on the internet are evil, or just the ones with "teh gheys"?

17. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well of course I use forums to force my agenda on everyone and they all become gay. Be quiet don't tell anyone. lol

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

The Onion and Facebook statuses are how a lot of people, around here, get their news. It's ridiculous.

But I like that about the Onion. It means they're doing exactly what they intended to do. If you want a really amusing reaction... when somebody finds out an Onion piece is satire, ask them, "If they could make you think something was real, why can't you think the same about [insert news channel here]?".

Folks blow a gasket, but it makes for a good chuckle.

19. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm confused by your mom's sense of "evil", actually. They have downsides, sure (such as exposing you to truths that she'd rather have you not encounter, and exposing you to lies that she'd rather have you not encounter). But by that measure, everything is evil...especially that "society" she seems to love so much.

20. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    If only she knew what type of forum you were posting on. I don't think she'd have to worry about ISIS recruiting here...yet... :wink: