1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does religion have to die out before homosexuality is universally accepted??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SubZero, Jun 2, 2015.

1. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm a Christian, myself and I'm not going to let being gay get in the way with my relationship with God. I'm a firm believer that God made me the way I am and I'm not going to let any other religious person tell me that I'm not a Christian and that I'm living in a "sinful lifestyle" because I am gay.

I have noticed that most people who are against homosexuality are overly-religious and they will point out the same 6 or so verses (out of THOUSANDS) in the bible to say that homosexuality is a sin. I am aware that the bible was written by MAN, not God himself, and I refuse to listen to people who point out those verses. These types of people cherry-pick the bible and I'm sure that they don't follow every word in the bible either. Most of these verses are under LEVITICUS in the Old Testament, which also forbids eating shrimp, getting tattoos, etc...which a lot of people do anyways these days. So, why only focus on homosexuality?

Anyways, I believe that back in the day, Christians also claimed that being left-handed was a sin and I've heard stories about how the teachers at catholic schools forced my grandmother and uncle (who are both left-handed) to write with their right hand because it was considered "evil", "unnatural", and a "sin". Nowadays, I don't think we hear about this that often. Maybe Christians eventually realized that being left-handed isn't the sign of the devil :evil: and that it's not a sin. Who knows?

So, my question is: will religions have to completely die out before homosexuality is considered normal and not a sin or will religions, such as Christianity, learn to adapt to homosexuality and no longer view it as a sin? I know that the older generation tends to strongly believe that homosexuality is morally wrong because of religious beliefs, but I have high hopes for the younger generation...I just hope.....

#1 SubZero, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  2. Yosia

It's not just religious people who are unaccepting unfortunately.

3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suppose it'll be like left handedness; they'll just change their minds and decide it's not a sin after all.

4. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    maybe just until all the people who use their religion as an excuse for their homophobia die out?

I have no problem with homophobes, but at least back up your opinions well. :dry:

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Not really. There are plenty of christians who are accepting, and plenty of atheists who hate gay people.

Also, we live in a sexist society and a lot of homophobic beliefs are based on sexism. For gay men this means that they are seen as performing a "woman's" role (liking men, being penetrated, etc) and this is seen as shameful to one's manhood which angers patriarchal society. It's not just religion, we need to get rid of the idea that men are supposed to be hyper macho and aren't allowed to deviate from any "masculine" norms that society sets.

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Religion does not have to completely die out for homosexuality to be universally accepted. However, as long as countries continue to grow more secular in how they govern, homosexuality will become more universally accepted. :slight_smile:

7. mangotree

I think the human race would have to disappear for religion to disappear.

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's atheist who hate gays so I would say no.

9. Sek

Sek

The answer is no. It's already had its impact. You would have to go back in time and stop those views becoming widespread to change how things are today.

10. MysteriousMadam

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm an atheist. I'm on another forum for ex-Christians. Most of us are atheists on that site, I have yet to find someone who isn't. There are a lot of users with very patriarchal and bigoted views on feminism, race, homosexuality, and transsexuality. I was pretty surprised but at the same time I really shouldn't have been. As a lot of people said here, there are accepting Christians and unaccepting atheists.

11. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not saying it has to but it would certainly help.

12. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think religion has to die out first (even though it is in many western countries). There are signs of shifting attitudes, even amongst the more conservative denominations of Christianity and the same is true of Judaism. Islam is rather more conservative and may take some while longer, but I remain hopeful.

Unfortunately, screeching fundamentalists in all religions will always attract more attention than the moderate mainstream. As time goes on I do believe those crazy elements will pass and give way to more rational thinking.

13. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

It doesnt but it would be nice

14. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope! Religions can (relativey) easily evolve to accept homosexuality, like many have done already.

15. floridagal1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Religion is not the problem. The problem comes from People use religion to justify hate and bigotry.

16. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No it doesn't.

17. floridagal1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    However...some churches should be ashamed how they have persecuted us in the name of 'religio'.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Eventually, homosexuality will be tolerated then, maybe, accepted. Something else will become the societal scapegoat; that's how it's always worked, just some individuals/groups/ideas stay there for a much longer time than others.

Everybody gets a turn on the Wheel of Bigotry. It's just a matter of, when is your's?

19. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it would have to die out totally, but it sure would be a big help. Especially Christianity and Islam, but also Judaism and Hinduism. And even Buddhism, to a much lesser extent.

Maybe the current major religions could be replaced by something that celebrated sex, instead of made it taboo; that would be a big help to have a religion that did, and embraced and celebrated the sensuality and fun of gay sex. But I doubt Christianity will ever do that,'cause they use that same old book, and it's pretty down on sex, the earth, and tends towards making the spiritual (whatever that is) superior to the horrible, corrupted body. Which is chief among the reasons I reject it; not for this or that Bible or Koran passage, but it's general take on the world and the flesh in relation to things like the afterlife and the spiritual.

So I would like to see such religions die out, personally.

They don't have enough nice to say about sexual pleasure, and they lay on the guilt and rules and regulations, big time. I find them to be a drag.

#19 HuskyPup, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  20. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't necessarily think religion as a whole would need to die out, because some religions do allow same-sex relations. Though, certain religions that take a staunch stance against LGBT people may have to go for universal acceptance.