1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

marriage rights

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sam, May 30, 2007.

1. Sam

Sam

why should anyone care who people love or want to marry? I don't see how it's anybodys business but our own. I don't see why people are making a huge deal over gay marriage does it matter who we marry no it doesn't and its not going to affect straight peoples lives if we can marry, so why are we still struggling to make gay marriage legal? why can't people just realize that its none of their business and let gay marriage become legal? I don't know just a rant it just really bothers me because you would think after fighting for it for so long that we would finally get somewhere with it but obviously not and it really is sad that the U.S. is so far behind other countries on this issue other countries have come to their senses why not the U.S. :bang:

Sam

2. Because for our country its a similar issue that happened in the 1800's with nullification. If it were made legal on the Federal level, states who are anti gay would either 1) flip out and protest or 2) simply ignore it. It really is up to the states because things would turn very ugly similar to the secession over slavery (ok probably not THAT drastic). But if it were implemented without the say of individual states it simply wouldnt work. That's why for now, its up to the voters in the states over whether they want it or not. On a similar note, my state is the only one with legal gay marriage but it seems we will be revoking it this November because it wasnt passed by voters it was passed in the government without the people's say.

3. ampthejazz

I'm actually writing a research paper on same-sex marriages right now. I'll post it when I'm finished with it.

I honestly don't understand why people think that they can legislate the marriage rights of others. I cannot fathom why some people believe that they have the right to deny rights to others. In the words of comedian Bill Maher, "Fuck you, we're all equal or we're all not." (Or something like that)

For my research paper, I've been looking at a bunch of resources, and this particular quote stood out to me as being EXTREMELY hypocritical and annoying:

http://www.boston.com/news/specials...04/05/20/mrs_bush_welcomes_gay_issues_debate/

4. aprilblue426

wow. yep, looks hypocritical to me. but i really have nothing else to add. u guys said it all.

5. GuitarGirl1350

Some think God will smite america and/or the sanctity of marriage for heteros will be ruined. sigh.

6. Jim1454

I tried to find it on youtube and couldn't, but Stephen Colbert did a great segment a while ago on this topic. In his typically sarcastic way, suggested that same-sex marriage must mean that hetrosexual men would have to start marrying other men. It was funny. Not to make light of this situation - but I find his approach to mocking these rediculous right wing poisitions is quite refreshing.

I've said in another thread - I'm not sure either why hetrosexuals would concern themselves with this. It seems very odd to me that they'd be so consumed with this issue when I don't see what difference it would ever make to them personally.

7. SadConfusedBandGeek

Ya u guys said all i wanted to say
    But i do think it shouldn't be called marriage? maybe something else. Because marriage is the joining of a man and a woman??

Maybe it would still be the same type of thing except joining a man and a man or a woman and a woman?? Not sure

8. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From Encarta's (I know, Microsoft is Evil) dictionary:

marriage: a legally recognized relationship, established by a civil or religious ceremony, between two people
    [doesn't specify gender] who intend to live together as sexual and domestic partners

9. (E V I L isnt how you spell good)

Yes but marriage shouldnt be gender specific

10. Steam Giant

I see no reason why two souls who wish to be joined should be bound by physical limitations such as gender. Those who wish to specify a gender for marriage don't understand the meaning of the union at all.

11. darkness

I believe that gay marriage is suppressed because if it were ever to be legally mandated it would mean that the US is excepting of homosexuality and then would invite Public Displays of Affection amongst same sex couples. Society in America is not ready yet to admit that marriage is not the problem it is ignorance and unfortunately the ignorance out populates the educated:icon_excl

12. thommthomm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are right darkness, but we must not just conplain about it. We must start doing all we can to fight for it. I am lucky, because I live in Massachusetts were gay marriage is legal...for the time being, because there is a vote soon to see if it will go before the voters in 2008. I for one will not sit by and allow others to determine who I can marry!

"HAVE FAITH AND THINGS WILL BE ALRIGHT":thumbsup:

13. ampthejazz

Here's an article I'm using in my research paper. I think it's worthwhile to read it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/30/o...8e4934f7182000&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

The Washington State Supreme Court's logic is completely twisted and fucked up.

14. Jim1454

Cool article - where Canada allowed same sex marriage but the Toronto Blue Jays lost to Seattle... :icon_wink

15. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think marriage is an archaic institution and I doubt I will ever get married, but I have no quarrel with any person who wishes to do so with whomever they wish.