1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Senior Privileges

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MtnFr3sh, Jun 2, 2015.

1. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So what are some of the privileges that you have as a senior in highschool? Like, sanctioned by the school or otherwise. We have one that everybody loves, and it's your own personalized parking space in the student parking lot that you can buy for $30 and paint it however you want (within set guidelines of relation to drugs, alcohol, and sex) I'm a senior next year and already have my design picked out.

[​IMG]

It is Rose Quartz's flag leftover from the Gem War in Steven Universe, I'm not big on pink but I love this show, and even if it's pink, I'm paiting it because the show has grown on me SO freaking much! (ugh, it's going to take a lot of painters tape and different shades for this one though...)

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We didn't really have much, other than upperclassmen (Juniors and Seniors) get to park closer to the school in the parking lot. We also had these events called Mini-Olympics the weeks of homecoming and courtwarming where we get to take on the underclassmen in things such as dodgeball, tug-of-war, and things such as that, and we pretty much won about everything. We're also guaranteed to have a senior candidate win Courtwarming King and Queen as we're the only ones put on the ballot. We also get much more coverage in the school's yearbook. I don't know, as an underclassman I always thought the seniors got many more priveleges than usual, but this past year I kind of felt like there wasn't much other than what I listed.

I will say however, that this past year of high school was the most fun one by far, especially since I got to take classes I enjoyed such as higher level College Algebra, Psychology and Sociology, and also because I was able to get really close to a bunch of people, including two of my best friends who are also going to the same college I am. So yeah, definitely try to enjoy your Senior year because it only happens once and it can be really enjoyable if you try to make it enjoyable. :slight_smile:

3. photoguy93

That is an amazing idea! Oh my gosh!

At my school, we got to park closer to the school. Also, once a month, we got to leave and go out for lunch. That's all I can remember. It was nice but nothing that I couldn't live without!

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For the most part, there was little benefit to being a 12th grader at my high school: we were still basically prisoners serving a sentence, although unlike most prisons, we were allowed to go home each afternoon.

The only real benefit I can recall, in fact, was graduating. Even better: we graduated before the official end of the year for 9-11 grades. This was standard, although I now wonder why.

One benefit that did exist was Senior Hill: a hill on campus which "belonged" to the current 12th graders. There were also hills for more grades--at least 11th, and maybe all the way down to 9th grade. I don't know if the school ever endorsed this, but it was strong tradition.

Perhaps bad attitude, perhaps cynicism, perhaps something else... But I don't recall ever setting foot on any of the hills. One year, I went as far as stating that if I became superintendent of the schools, my first act would be bringing in bulldozers to level those hills.

5. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I don't remember the seniors having certain privileges other than bragging rights :/

However, the hierarchy the students created created a system where more stress and less freedom on the Freshmen, and that all reversed as you went up.

6. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Other school system but our older ones are allowed to use phones in school (if we don't make photos etc.)

7. DMark69

When I was a senior, many, many, many years ago...
    We didn't get special parking spots, but permits for the spaces that were available were issued in a priority order. Seniors in Co-Op work programs got the first ones, then the rest of the seniors. They usually ran out of spaces before all the Juniors got spaces though.

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, I can't recall any, accept being closer to getting out of there.

~~~~

Actually, it was kinda a drawback now that I ponder it, as it meant being one year closer to death.

9. CandyKing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Being constantly presented with the failure of the poor eductation system in Baltimore.

10. The seniors at my school don't have to take standardized testing like Common Core. Also, they get to skip class for the last two days of school because the school throws them a party.

Also, they get to turn in their textbooks earlier than the rest of the school

11. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    Common core.. LOL
    what a joke that is.

12. LOL Ikr? That's why I called it a privilege that the seniors don't have to take it! :lol:

13. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The only thing that I can think of is that if you got a spare/study hall then you could leave then school.

14. Hiems

If you have an A average for any non-AP course, then you are exempt from the final. For any AP courses, you need to sign up for the AP exam to be exempt from the final. The latter rule applies for students of any year actually, but I added it for completeness.

I was exempt from all of my non-AP courses, so I had zero stress on the final week of school :slight_smile:

We also had Project Graduation, which was a party hosted by the school for all graduating seniors. There was free food, prizes, and whatnot. I stayed there from like 7 PM to 5 AM. I won a GPS! However, I was pretty jealous of the people who won PS3 and TVs >_>

15. Gen

Gen

Absolutely nothing. I can't even believe some of you actually got benefits.

There was only one teacher in all my high school years who offered this exemption and he handed me dropped my grade to an 89.4% the day before because of a coloring project. It was a biology class! You could tell it was personal too because he looked me dead in my eyes and told me that he would only consider a 89.5% an A. Granted, I ended up setting the curve on the final and moved up more than enough, but I will never forget...

You really can't tell how a professor feels about you until that last week rolls in.

16. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I'm not a senior yet but in my school, seniors get their own offices (since there are only like 10-20 seniors). Also, they don't have to take finals and are hardly coming into school for these last couple weeks. Today, they had a senior skip day and did stuff together (with TWO of my teachers :slight_smile: ). I can't wait till I'm a senior!:slight_smile:

17. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

That's... interesting...

I had no idea New Jersey and Kentucky had similarities, especially in their education system.

Other than what I've quoted, seniors were allowed to use the parking lot, and even had their own section. You didn't have to pay to get the parking spot, but if you wanted to, you could buy a pass that allowed you to leave 30 minutes early, before the other seniors did, as it cut down on traffic.

18. choirsmash

If you apply for a parking space early enough, you get into our west lot. You don't have to wait for all of the busses and stuff. I ended up in the east lot because I got my license in January, but all of my activities were on that side anyway (that's our fine arts wing) and I never left right after school. Most of the teachers for senior classes don't care and you can wander the halls and use your phones and stuff. We end school a week early and have finals before everyone else. Right now, we're in the process of rehearsing for everything. We have baccalaureate tomorrow night and commencement rehearsal tomorrow morning. Commencement on Friday. So we can wander the halls and visit teachers before and after rehearsals. There really aren't that many senior privileges...but teachers are definitely more lenient for seniors

19. Foz

Foz Guest

Not many official privileges, we had a 6th year common room for us only and we had a coffee machine and microwave some of us bought. Out of ~75 people in 6th year only 5 of us had cars so parking wasn't an issue. But we got heaps more respect of the teachers and you could just not turn up to class and no one really cared, so in the first few months I spent more time in Subway than I did in History XD

20. KayJay

None that I can remember. I suppose you got to pick more electives and if you hadn't failed any courses before 12th grade you got a spare each semester, if you wanted it. Since taking those two courses would give you extra credits that you didn't need to graduate.

Also it isn't really a privilege in anyway (I'm not even sure if what I've already said is a privilege) but seniors just got to feel like role models of sorts while walking through the halls, especially compared to the 9th graders. The age gap is actually a bit insane. Feeling like the younger kids were looking up to you, waiting to be where you are sort of gave a nice, weird feeling.