1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much do you care about what other people think about you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by randomly me, Jun 4, 2015.

1. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Since there seem to be a lot of people with social anxiety on this site i thought it would be interesting to ask.

Do you change your appearance/behavior to influence how other people view you?Who would you like to be seen as?Has it changed from when you were younger?Is it influenced by how you view other people?

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

inb4 2 C0LD-BL00D3D 2 CAREZ.

3. MORTAL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The ugly truth is that your appearance and looks are significant and play a vital role in the way people perceive and treat you. It's unfortunate because many people are ostracised, bullied and avoided because of their appearance but it's reality.

I do care to an extent but the people who are in my life are the ones who I'm concerned with most. I'm normally a bit s*****y and recently I grew my hair down to my shoulders. My mum would incessantly nag me about getting my hair cut short comment about how nice it would look if it were "neat and trimmed." Needless to say, I became sick of it so I wanted to try something really different and decided on corn rows. Subsequently, I received so many pleasant compliments, however, the difference in the way people treated me (very positively) was quite surreal.

The point is, looks really can make a difference and can significantly alter people's perception of you.

4. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I unfortunately care a lot and sometimes I even get paranoid about it. I don't change my appearance or behaviour to fit what is desired, instead I take it out on the inside and blame myself for being undesirable but in the privacy of my own space.
    Still, not being accepted by society makes it hard to accept yourself both on the outside (the way you look) and on the inside (who you are). Sometimes I would like to change both and sometimes I think I'm fine and that all I need is confidence, at least that's what my friends tell me, but sometimes I feel that's just words people say out of pity. (Obviously being an overthinker doesn't help either haha)
    But that's only issues I have with myself and I get really mad when I hear people judging others - No matter how one looks or acts they should be given a chance instead of being excluded from the outset. Now that I'm at uni I feel that people are still pointing fingers, only they do it in a more discreet way.

5. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    I dont.
    I am who I am, you can like me or carry your backside on to the next person. Im not changing for anyone.
    And, I dont get butthurt over every little thing

6. CyanChachki

I don't really care all that much. Negative comments hurt but they only hurt for a bit and then the hurt is gone. The only opinions I truly value are mine and my younger sister's. Everyone else is entitled to their own opinion about me but I'm not shaken by it.

7. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To an extent, yes. I care if someone thinks I'm a nice person. I hate it when I'm not liked and I will go out of my way to make people like me. But based on music, movies, and TV show tastes, I don't care what people think.

8. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Such truth in this answer (except I don't care that much about appearance, but I do sometimes get paranoid about it). Altogether, I have little issues about accepting my personality - I've quit caring about that.
    Especially truthful is that example of university you use. I know people are still judging because in my lectures, rather than get annoyed at people talking, I listen to what they say. They still judge, albeit quietly. Sometimes I've even heard people talk more jab in a lecture than some of the kids who went to my high school, in the entirety I was there.

9. FoxSong

Less and less each day. It's kind of liberating :slight_smile:

10. atoadaso

atoadaso Guest

Sometimes I care more than I'd like to admit. It's strange, because while I know that what people think doesn't matter as much as my anxiety tells me it does, & while I know no-one is thinking about me half as much as my anxiety tells me they do, I can't help worrying. How I want to be perceived by others is constantly changing. My idea of what is "cool" & what is "corny" has changed so much just in the last year. If I think someone else is cool, I won't try to copy them, but I will pay attention to them more for inspiration. The only time I change my appearance to affect how people view me is when it's necessary or a good idea, like if I'm going for a job interview or meeting someone I want to make a good impression on the first time.

11. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I care way too much. It's how I was raised, especially by my mother.

12. BelleFromHell

Too damn much.

13. Psaurus918

Friends- somewhat

Strangers- very little

14. The Wallflower

15. biggayguy

I would care more if I were looking for a partner. My Ifamily already knows that I do my own thing. The general public do treat better if you are well dressed and well groomed.

16. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The comments about my appearance don't affect me anymore (I'm aware I look like a science experiment gone wrong, but I appreciate your feedback nonetheless :grin:), but comments about who I am, or just why I'm just in-ideal really do get to me. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: This is why, although I love her dearly, I don't visit my grandma as much as I should.

Things like that often keep me up at night, but I suppose it's good to be knocked down a few pegs every once in a while :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

--
    edit: Sorry, OP, didn't see your questions.
    Do you change your appearance/behavior to influence how other people view you
    nah. except with telemarketers.

Who would you like to be seen as?
    sum1 2 cool 4 skool

Has it changed from when you were younger?
    Depends how far back we're talking.

Is it influenced by how you view other people?
    I don't really think so. Who knows:lol:

#16 Batman, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  17. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I care too much for the fact that I pretend not to care at all... :S

18. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not as much as I used to. The only slight regret I ever had was thinking i needed to be popular in High School which I was not and thinking it was this great thing when it really is not cut out what it is to be. It would of been better to just be me.

19. Sienrar

Somewhat.

20. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This, my dear lady, is the first principle of The Cool.

Ask Miles... Or Trane... Or Monk... Well, at least imagine their answers...

Or... People?! Do you mean they are still around?! I thought they were extinct long ago...

I do have to be very careful at work, but I'm still well known for my frequent use of the 'f' word when something goes wrong.

I try to become a fluent speaker of corp bullshit 'cause it's where my cash is comung from right now, but that's all.