1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

compliments and critique

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by randomly me, Jun 5, 2015.

1. randomly me

randomly me Guest

What's in the title.Do you like compliments or do they make you uncomfortable?
    How well do you react if someone criticises you?

Also general thoughts on the topic=P

2. Lyana

I like genuine compliments. They make me smile and thank the other person. They're sweet. Lots of people are uncomfortable with compliments, though -- but I dish them out anyway, and most people seem to appreciate it deep down.

Criticism? If it's well-deserved, it will sting a little, but I'll accept it without resentment and be grateful for it. Now that I think of it, I don't get criticized to my face very often...

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can take both well, but I can also take both very badly. If it's fair, reasonable and justified and delivered with due care and consideration, I'm fine with both.

It's often not what you say, but how you say it that counts.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love a compliment, like most, but I am grateful for constructive criticism as well, as I learn more from it.

5. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I appreciate compliments and will thank the other person, assuming it's genuine and not flattery.

I am open to receiving constructive feedback that is specific, actionable and presented with care. I don't respond well to criticism that is random, vague, unjustified, inactionable, or presented poorly, the kind of feedback that often appears on performance reviews. More often than not I will start to drill down until I reach specific and actionable feedback. "Thank you for the feedback" presented early in my response means that I appreciate the feedback. It can also mean that I think you are full of it, now go away.

#5 SiennaFire, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  6. nohalos

I love compliments, but I kinda don't know how to properly respond to them. Like, someone comments "Nice hair!" and I'd just get caught off-guard, touch my hair and smile awkwardly.

I hate getting criticisms. However, as much as I hate them, I try to make myself see them as something that could help me become better. I don't really react violently or anything, I just keep it to myself, probably saying in my head "This bitch." But yeah, never do I really react that much. I don't like critiques, I don't know why, but I try to kill the unpleasant feeling it brings and see if I can use that criticism to my own growth.

7. Eiji

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I hate receiving compliments, mainly because it makes me uncomfortable, because I don't know what to do or say to it. I usually tend to just grimace and give some sounds and just joke the whole thing away. I've never learned that.

I also don't like criticism, if it's bad it's bad, and I will take it deeply to me, and I'll dwell on it a lot. Even constructive criticism is dreadful for me, but I just accept it, try to better myself the ways I can. Smile and nod seems to work as well, and a well placed "I understand" - and then go home and cry a little.

8. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find it hard not to take criticism personally. It's something I need to work on.

When people compliment me, I pretend to be annoyed so I don't appear big headed, but I really do appreciate them. So, if someone says I'm good looking, I'll tell them to shut up (not nastily or anything), but will feel quite flattered.

#8 imnotreallysure, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  9. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I sometimes don't really like to be complimented as it just makes me feel uncomfortable and a bit upset. Usually though, I just smile and say thank you and carry on.

When I get criticized, most of the time I start to feel really horrible about myself depending on what they're criticizing me for. It takes me quite a while to just accept it and think that what they may be saying might be right and I should listen to it.

10. ms24601

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not particularly fond of either one. I'll take compliments, but they can make me feel uncomfortable at times. As for criticism, I won't say I like it, because who does really, but I think it is important for personal and professional growth, if someone criticizes something I do in a constructive manner I don't mind it and even if it upsets me at first I let it go rather easily, but when it's just criticism for the sake of it or to put me down I try to ignore it and not give it much thought (doesn't mean I always succeed though).

11. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really care what people think of me so I happily take a compliment and don't mind criticism, especially if I feel the point is valid. I don't like false flattery though nor do I think much of criticising just to be arsehole, so I just dismiss that out of hand as a character flaw of the other person.

Happy days :slight_smile:

12. Beebop

Beebop Guest

I'm not that fond of compliments because most people base them on my physicality and I think that's not all that important. It's the least interesting part of me. I readily accept constructive critism, but other types will most likely start an argument.

13. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love compliments as they make me feel appreciated.

Criticism is necessary, but it depends on how it's said.
    For example
    "That looks weird" at a drawing or something
    I think that's mean and not appreciating the effort someone put into it. However, if they said
    "It's pretty good for your first time, but you could've made ___ a little more ___"
    That's considering feelings and helping someone improve.

14. White Rose

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I like compliments, I might feel a bit uncomfortable but if they're sincere and not mere flattery I do appreciate them and feel really proud.
    As for criticisms, I tend to take them too bad, but I can recognize constructive advice and, maybe after a bit of complaining, I take note of them.
    We usually grow more for good critics than compliments, after all.