1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi guys, do you get rejected more by men or women because of your sexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dwelefan, Jun 5, 2015.

1. dwelefan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Do you get turned down for dates more by women or men? Which would you say is more unaccepting of you being bi?

2. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm far too socially awkward to have much experience in dating, but the patterns I've noted seem to indicate that straight women and gay men are pretty even in their refusal to date bisexual men.

It would also seem very common, unfortunately.

3. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I dated a gay guy, and he just had bi-erasure and kept "forgetting" I was bi. So, whatever... Never dated a woman in my life.

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Going by numbers, there are more straight women than gay men, *but* the percentage who are turned off by the idea of dating a bi guy seem to be larger, due to insecurity, bi/homophobia, fear of catching HIV.

Gay men might have their hang-ups, but at least they're no stranger to queer culture, even if a lot doubt the validity of bisexuality, using their own experiences as a measuring stick. A lot of misconceptions, but a lot more empathy, being in the same (or a similar) boat.

I've had more negative experiences dating straight women, but this was before coming out and discovering the world of bi/pan folk of either gender. I'm sure that would level the playing field a bit, especially since I feel more comfortable dating someone who "gets" me.

5. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. My sexuality hadn't been a factor in acceptance or rejection so far, I'm pleased to say.

Happy days :slight_smile:

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Women. And I don't know if they know more so than suspect. And they're accurate if they do. Most of the ones I know are fairly conventional, like me, and that would not fly with them at all. Some have shown an interest and then backed off rather quickly when they see that I've been a free agent for most of the duration. Men who are looking for something shorter term don't seem to be troubled by it much at all.

I think the seriousness of the relationship being sought was the issue ... and not the gender of the person of interest.