1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating a vegetarian

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by potofsoup, Jun 6, 2015.

1. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Hello guys :slight_smile:

I have a question for non-vegetarians.

Will you date or be in a relationship with a vegetarian person?

Provided:
    -He/she respects your choice of diet/food.
    -He/she never forces you to become vegetarian like him/her.

Do you feel there might be problems in the relationship due to the difference of food choices?

Will you refrain from dating them based on them being vegetarian?

-------------------------
    As for me, I'm a vegetarian and I'm willing to date/be in a relationship with another who is non-vegetarian.

I won't force him to become vegetarian like me and I don't mind cooking meat for him. :slight_smile:

How about you?

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sure, I'd date a vegetarian. As long as they can respect that I'm not one and are okay with me eating meat, we're good. I'm not sure if this is a problem people have, but if they couldn't handle the smell of meat cooking it probably wouldn't work long-term. That's the only thing I can really think of. I wouldn't mind eating "more vegetarian" but I could never give up meat completely.

3. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm mostly vegetarian~
    I eat chicken sometimes, mostly Asian though. Any type of Asian chicken is great~
    If I was living with a non vegetarian, they'd not have to change their diet for me. They would have to cook a little more vegetarian or I'd make my own food separately. I don't think it'd be a problem for anybody, as long as we don't criticize each other's food choices

4. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As long as they don't have to tell me how I'm destroying the earth and killing animals with my diet at every meal, I am fine with it. I was vegetarian myself for several years.

5. Lyana

The two "provisions" you gave, potofsoup, are my only requirements. The same answer goes for whether I'd date someone religious, for example. Respect me, and we're cool.

I have a vegetarian friend (several, actually, but this one comes to mind first) whom I would never date, even if I were into her and she were into girls. She's cool, but she would drive me up the wall with her little... barbs about how irresponsible we meat-eaters are. I know why it's good to cut down on eating meat, and I'm a "three days a week" vegetarian hoping to soon up that to five days a week. I respect her choices, but I don't want to be a vegetarian.

I have a friend who's vegan whom I would totally be okay with dating if I were into her, because she's never once made any sort of comment as to the superiority of non meat-eaters. It's just her diet, and it doesn't have to impact anyone else.

I'd totally learn to cook vegetarian, even vegan recipes for a significant other, and if I seriously dated a vegetarian, I would definitely eat less meat (for example, during meals together... I wouldn't go out of my way to cook meat for only myself). I'd be okay with that, so long as I could eat meat whenever I chose to, without feeling the other person's disapproval.
    I wouldn't expect a vegetarian SO to cook meat for me. ^^

6. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, they being vegetarian would have zero influence on my decision to date them.

Happy days :slight_smile:

7. RainDreamer

I am not sure what my partner's diet has anything to do with my attraction to them.

Unless, of course, they have the same taste as Hannibal Lecter.

8. 741852963

Sure.

I think the only issue would be me not wanting to make them uncomfortable, or feeling like I was disappointing them by eating meat. I'd be a bit paranoid that on some level they were judging me.

Plus I'd hate to feel they were any way repulsed by me if I'd eaten some meat then tried to kiss them.

9. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    sure why not? I would even go to Veggie restaurants with them. I would have no problem coming home to or cooking a vegetarian meal. but when I want meat, its either going to be on a plate next to my potatoes, or expect a fork stuck in your arm. The fat man is feeding.

10. White Rose

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I wouldn't mind at all if this person respects my own tastes (really like meat), I don't want to force anybody to do something they're against to.
    Also, it wouldn't be such a problem because, despite really loving it, I don't eat meat so often.

11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ummm ya as long as they don't get mad at me for ordering bacon for breakfast and steam for dinner than its fine.

12. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that would be very easy. I grew up in a household where we all kind of ate different things (brother who's lactose intolerant, sister who's a vegetarian, mom who's obsessed with health food), so as long we can eat together, it doesn't matter if we're eating different things. Besides, I like a lot of vegetarian food. As long as they don't judge me for eating meat.

13. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes I would

14. timo

Yes, of course. As long as I can keep eating meat though, there should be mutual respect.

15. Gabby29

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have dated vegetarians before, so yes I would date a vegetarian again. I think it's hilarious cause this one gal I use to date would give the weirdest looks every time I cooked bacon or steak lol.

16. Foz

Foz Guest

Well, so long as they're content with someone who shoots deer, hangs them in the garage and then eats them, then yeah :lol:

17. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I would not be able to date a non vegatarian, I would get sick.

18. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been a vegetarian on and off, and I have no problems with dating one at all. This is of course, they don't force me to do anything or whatever.

19. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I would be completely fine with it. I mostly just eat things like bacon and hot dogs (and chicken occasionally). I won't force them to eat it and can make other things they might like.

My sister is vegetarian, and she co-exists nicely with the rest of the household.

20. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you don't have a problem with me eating cow, pig, or chicken then I don't have a problem with you not eating it.

Everyone has a few things that would be an immediate deal breaker in a relationship, though if it takes more than one hand to count them, you can expect to be single pretty much forever. I think I'll save mine for something more important than my boyfriend not stealing my hamburger. Now if my boyfriend was constantly giving me crap about me eating meat, yea, that would be a deal breaker.