1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phonophobia - fear of loud noises

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by XenaxGabby, Jun 6, 2015.

1. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've mentioned this before but I'd like to know if any of you suffer from it.

I think part of the reason is because I have extremely sensitive ears. I can't be around fireworks, when walking in a busy part of the city I have to wear earplugs AND sometimes earmuffs as well. Same with movie theatres and concerts.

Balloons terrify me beyond belief! I try to avoid any place or event where they might be present. When I am around them, my ears turn red and become sore, I start to breathe heavy, and I want to cry (but don't).

Example: I was walking to catch the c-train last week and I soon became surrounded by balloons. I don't know what was going on exactly but I started freaking out so I did the only logical thing I could think of. I ran three blocks to the taxi pick up area and spent $50 to get home.

I get made fun of a lot because people think my fear is stupid.

2. ms24601

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I wouldn't say I have a fear, more like low tolerance to certain loud noises. I hate fireworks, especially the ones on New Year's, I usually cover my ears until they stop and I hate party balloons too because there's always someone who thinks that popping them is fun. As for movie theaters, theaters and concerts I like it as loud as possible.

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it really a phobia? Or do/could you have a condition such as hyperacusis? Either way, if your ears are really sensitive, and its painful for you to be around loud noises, it doesn't seem like a phobia, but a legitimate fear/avoidance of pain. However, the balloon thing makes it seem a bit like a phobia either way -- the odds the a balloon will pop are very small and evenso, the pain will last a fraction of a second.

I don't enjoy REALLY loud noises. I'm not really afraid of them, but I don't want hearing damage (legitimate fear, so not a phobia). Even moderately loud noises can be uncomfortable but I am not sure anyone enjoys their eardrums constantly being vibrates by loud noises. However, recently (2 years ago probably) I developed a lovely little condition that doctors could not figure out -- I will get pain, discomfort, and a crackle-y noise in my ear when there's rapid changes from silence to noise, even soft noise, and it will affect my coordination to a degree. One song I like in the beginning has rapid beats from quiet to loud and it was torture for those few seconds... It got so bad for a while where I tended to hate speaking or listening to others, and avoided that. Learning to ignore it, reducing anxiety, and preventing neck strain from schoolwork seems to help it...

4. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No it's because I have above average hearing, so I think loud noises affect me more than other people. Yes it is an actual phobia though it's more common in children.

5. Lazuri

[YOUTUBE]z2QIyNwcS9E[/YOUTUBE]

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't have a fear but I get scared a lot from them.

7. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I guess I must have it, 'cause I can't stand certain noises, and such noises are usually (physically) painful. I never had a panic attack, but I was verbal about the discomfort in quite a few occasions.

Not sure it's phonophobia, or what it could be, I never gave it much thought, I just avoid loud noises or I just... Take the noise, even if it's painful, 'cause wearing earplugs in the middle of the city is the last thing I need.

Don't feel like getting killed at 32, you know...

8. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't have a phobia but I've definitely been sensitive to and anxious around loud noises all my life. I have a habit of plugging my left ear whenever I turn the shower on so that the loud noise is dulled, then slowly take my finger away from my ear to ease myself into hearing the loud noise. Same with vacuum cleaners. Or loud toilets that flush really loud and fast, I plug my ear for that, too. Loud noises in general make me flinch any time I hear them.

9. Spacetime

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do. I'm also very easily overwhelmed by sounds. I carry around ear buds and ear plugs because sometimes I get hyper aware of sounds and get upset.

10. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^ Nice to know I'm not alone:slight_smile: