1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think dating in high school is a waste of time?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PastGrey, Jun 7, 2015.

1. PastGrey

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've dated someone not long ago but it wasn't serious and it only lasted a few days. But from what I've gathered from that relationship it was kind of a waste of my time. We were both invested with each other too much. Also she had her moments of being "clingy" and "needy" so it drove me nuts too. All those days that I've spent with her I could have studied for my test and be productive (I know that kind of sounds "cruel" and inconsiderate). But it did have its "pros" too such as having a new experience. It gave me a new perspective for what is a "desirable mate". Also the feelings were new and I enjoyed having a company. Lastly I found out how really young and immature both of us were....

But what is your opinion on it?

#1 PastGrey, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  2. Baldrick123

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's not a waste of time at all, if you enjoy spending time with your partner and being in a relationship then go nuts, but maybe let them know that you will need some time alone and you don't want to spend every minute of your life with them.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not a waste of time, you learn about yourself and how other people work. It just shouldn't be taken super-seriously: enjoy spending time with somebody and if you want to stay with them, awesome. If not, your life isn't over and you should be thankful for the opportunity to have shared their company.

About the "coldness" of focusing on school: high schoolers do themselves a disservice by committing to each other over school, in general. You only get a short amount of time to get skills and qualifications to get a job; there will be time for focusing on relationships.

#3 Argentwing, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's worthwhile in that you get experience with dating people.

5. Lyana

Relationships are rarely a waste of time. In the worst cases, they still teach you something (not to do it like that again).

I never had a relationship in high school, but my parents started dating in high school (maybe even the last year of middle school, I forget) and I doubt they think it was a waste of time.

I have had relationships that didn't last long, that didn't turn out so great, but again, I learned something from them. It would probably be a waste of your time to actively seek out a relationship in high school (rather than focusing on just having a good time, and your education), but if things just develop... why not?

6. Epoh

I think it really just depends on the people in question. There's a lot of factors that can go into that sort of decision, such as emotional maturity, circumstances, just where they are as a person, etc. But it's really down to the individuals to decide whether or not they're ready for a relationship, whether they're in high school or not.
    For me personally, despite my crushes, I don't think I'm ready for a relationship, even if I could have one. I'm just not ready as a person, though that's taken me a good year and a half to realize.

7. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It would seem to me that gaining experience in dating early in life is never a bad thing, as it will help you better deal with relationships further along in life.

8. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in middle school, I think relationships aren't a waste of time, because they give you good experiences. My relationship has helped me learn many things, and the two of us are still going strong. We both know to put studying and homework as top priority. Sometimes, there are exceptions to that, but we do manage our time well and understand the need for alone time and stuff. I think it's a good experience, and have learned a lot from it, as did she.

9. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    As a 24 years old, who had never had a relationship, i will tell you: no, its not a waste of time.... Because you learned about dating when everyone was learning about dating, now you are on par with your peers, i on the other hand, im capable of doing stupidities that where ok at highschool but not now, im ikely to be on a inferior level of dating experience compared to my peers and whoever i try to date. To me its a scary place to go, also there is some feeling of shame and anxiety. Of course, its not entirely fair to say im as inexperienced as a higschooler, as i have had the opportunity to see others doing stupid things in gheir relationships, with have its usefulness... But i would love to have the experience, to know what to expect. First time are scary and awkard... Be thsnkfull for going throught that early.

10. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It depends on who you date, same as with any other stage of life.

To take care of your studies is your own responsability, so don't go and blame it all on her. Learn to say 'no', and get somebody normal who won't trip when hearing you saying 'no'.

11. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not a waste of time. I think they teach valuable lessons of how to negotiate a relationship with another person. I regret the relationships I didn't have far more than the one I did. I certainly learned a lot from that one relationship, mostly what I didn't want and how not to break up with someone.

12. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Explore, discover thats how you learn.

13. Aria11

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    It depends on both you, and your partner, or crush. There isn't anyone at my high school I'm interested in dating, so it's not really a problem for me. I did have a boyfriend for about three months, but we live in different states, and never got to see each other. Your partner should understand when you tell them you need some time to yourself to work on school.