1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "Dad Bod" - sexist or liberating?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 741852963, Jun 8, 2015.

1. 741852963

So as I'm sure most of you guys are aware, the "Dad Bod" trend has been sweeping the web over the last month or two.

Basically the term refers to men who are neither muscular or drastically out of shape - just somewhere in between or average.

Now this seems to have provoked quite a reaction from people. Some men claim it is liberating as it is celebrating the option not to conform to current male beauty standards. Some women claim it is a sexist double-standard. Other men and women simply appreciate the aesthetic. Others brand it "disgusting" or lazy.

For me personally I think the Dad Bod is just the male equivalent of the "curvy" female figure which has been celebrated for years, you even have mass-market campaigns like Dove's "Real Women" (which highlights both curvy and obese women). Interestingly whilst Dove has moved to a more average figure women for their female product advertising, the advertising for the mens range still feature male models and athletes with enviable figures.

One trend I have noticed is an idea that "men have no right" to discuss body image. There seems to be a persistent thread that because women have faced difficult to obtain beauty standards for longer, this somehow invalidates any body image issues men face. I think this is baloney. Personally I think we can only look at the "here and now", the actual body image problems our actual generation are facing. An 18 year old girl and an 18 year old boy today will both face a tremendous amount of pressure to look a certain way; it is pretty much irrelevant to them how one sex experienced more pressure in the 60s or 70s.

Penny for your thoughts.

2. Eiji

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think that it is ridiculous to think that men can't discuss body image, because some women think they have the only right to do so. body image issues is a people problem not a one gender problem. I think there is too much this or that side in society.

As a person who is male, and struggle with body image, I think it's high time that there is light shed on the fact that men struggle with their body just as women do. It's not about who's had what fight longer.

As for the people that say it's lazy and disgusting, well there is a difference from having a few extra pounds, and being morbidly obese. Though that doesn't mean it has to be disgusting or related to laziness.

3. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My only problem is the term 'dad', in that it implies this sorta middle-age, hetero-normative male image. I don't mind the discussion, but I don't see how it's tied in with having produced offspring.

4. Sek

Sek

There's definitely a double standard between men and women's beauty standards and conversation. But although I recognise men face unfair standards and expectations, I think there's a more serious implication for women. It leads women to become sexual objects which place limits on them that are difficult to break. From my own experiences I have not encountered many men whose lives are hugely limited based on looks because there are more attainable redeeming factors. I am certain it goes both ways, but from personal experience I have witnessed more of a struggle for women so I tend to be on that side.

However I think 'dad bod' is a liberating trend. Giving it public praise and attention is a way to help alleviate the burden of societal expectations. How your body looks should not be dictated by pleasing others in an aesthetical sense but by being a reflection of good health.

5. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Men do struggle with body image.

Men do not struggle with body image just as women do.

This doesn't make male struggles with body image any less real. However, to say it's on the same level as women's struggles is simply not true.

The male struggle with body image should definitely be talked about more. I would say that one of the biggest obstacles for this is how it would involve men sharing their vulnerabilities, while talking about something society relates to women.

I would add more to this, but I had to make this quick.

#5 Phalange, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  6. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Apparently gay men are obsessed with their image and strive for the Adonis archetype so they can't look average, and God forbid they do! Gay men are impotent and can't have kids.
    The simpler and nicer explanation: heteronormativity is the default state of mind. People are quick to make assumptions and imbibe labels.
    Personally, this "Dad Bod" looks nice. All people can look good regardless of their weight. I can see why women claim sexist double standards when house wives are expected to be fit and attractive while their men are slobs, but this should not cause for reason to invalidate the body image struggles of men. In men, it manifests itself differently as with the obsession with hyper muscularity and is still as problematic as women's obsession with thinness.

7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd also add that problems with body image are higher among gay males; for example:

Gay men are thought to only represent 5% of the total male population but among men who have eating disorders, 42% identify as gay. (more on eating disorders on the LGBT population)

There does seem to be a lot more pressure among gay males to have certain body types; they almost become like a currency of sexual exchange.

I'd also guess gay males are more prone to having plastic surgery, but I've not checked any studies...just a hunch.

Edit:

Gay men are said to be the fastest-growing client base in the cosmetic surgery industry, with liposuction being a common request. (Full Story)

And I will have to say that among the 'gay community' and in the 'gay' part of the city, I see such attitudes very much in evidence; all these guys trying to look perfect, like some sorta Abercrombie & Fitch zombies...it's sorta sad.

#7 HuskyPup, Jun 8, 2015
  8. 741852963

I would disagree with that.

Male and female body image issues are different, but I think they are fundamentally equal.

For example you often have anorexia rates compared to highlight how women are more affected, which completely and utterly fails to take into consideration that the male ideal requires eating excessive calories, not dieting.

Likewise you hear arguments "well men don't use makeup" or "men don't get cosmetic surgery at the same rates" - again being completely ignorant to the fact male beauty standards call for natural "effortless" beauty.

-Women are expected by society to look a certain way through the use of cosmetics, push up bras and spanx.
    -Men are expected by society to look a certain way without using any products.

Both are equally damaging. For women it means they are expected to spend money and time to achieve the norm, but at the same time for men it means those who do not meet the standard are expected to essentially hide out of sight (for it is often neither socially acceptable for them to be ugly, nor socially acceptable for them to do something about it).

9. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

It actually is difficult for men to discuss body-image, mostly because it seems sort of effeminate to worry about appearances. The thing is, it's not about your image, but it's about your health. If you are noticing that you can't walk three blocks without getting out of breath, that is a problem. You need to fix that. It's not cool, dude.

Focusing on utility and your actual ability to use your body for the means that you intend for it, that actually is masculine. Your body is a tool. It does things. Being in shape makes it possible for you to have the option of commuting by bicycle when the weather is good enough for you to enjoy it. Being in good shape means that you don't have to spend an extra half-hour, at the store, driving around looking for a spot near the door to keep you from collapsing on the way in. Being in good shape means that you can focus better on the job. It's not just how you look. It's not about having a "six-pack," and it's not about having huge biceps. That crap isn't even good for you. Too much strength training increases your blood-pressure. It's about not being crippled.

The whole "dad bod" thing is ridiculous for the same reason as excessive "curve-appreciation." It's just more treating our bodies as things to be seen, rather than as vessels that we have to actually live in.

#9 Christiaan, Jun 8, 2015
  10. Simple Thoughts

Two things

1.) Who cares how someone else looks? Seriously, why is it so important? It's the single most superficial thing about a person ( well maybe second most if you consider money ). Now, if someone is way overweight and are actually at a serious risk to their own health that's a whole other story. I'm not in support of "being nice" and "beating around the bush" when it comes to someone who's life is literally at risk because of their weight. Some people need a harsh truth to slap em in the face before they wind up six feet under. Your feels being protected doesn't mean much if you're worm food.

2.) Does it matter who has it worse?

I'm so tired of this one. There is always someone, somewhere who has it worse. Everytime you'll always find something worse than the last thing. What is the deal with this pitty pissing contest the world has devolved into? Bad things are bad, and it doesn't matter if someone else has a worse problem. What matters is whether or not anyone is willing to do something about the bad things going on.

To me a good person who helps people get their life on track at home is a good person. A person who flies to third world countries and risks their life to take care of the sick and hungry, is a good person. A person who works at a soup kitchen for homeless people is a good person. Does it really matter how they rank? They're alll good people, and they're all doing something good.

11. Gen

Gen

As someone who doesn't even abide by the male beauty archetype, I will still have to disagree with this. Female standards of beauty are unquestionably more damaging as a result of the fact that female beauty is the basis of female worth.

Psychology, both men are women are equally capable of forming insecurities and feelings of inadequacy as a result of the standards that are set up by society.

However,

It is a tried and largely proven fact that female beauty standards have a far great sociological impact. Both men and women can be psychologically effect by not living up to beauty standards; however, men are not economically disadvantaged by not living up to the standard of what an attractive man is meant to be. The stance of a women in modern society is directly tired to here adherence to present standards of beauty. Men in society are absolutely praised for being stereotypically attractive and there is absolutely emotional backlash that comes with that; however, the beauty of a man has never been the key factor in the determining of his worth in the workplace or in general society.

Even in the field of psychology, it has been proven that on average both men and women unconsciously compare men based on their social status and women based on their physical appearance. Both can be damaging; however, the stress that is placed on the beauty standard couldn't be further from equal between genders.

12. The Wallflower

This is all Buzzfeed's fault. They tried to make dadbod happen.

It happened...

Sigh, I don't know what to think about it. If you want to have a hunky body, go for the hunky body. If you want to have a 'dadbod', go for the dadbod. I couldn't care any less, really.

Now Buzzfeed is trying to make mombod happen. It's not going to happen.

13. 741852963

I disagree. Studies indicate that on average the more handsome, tall or well built a man is deemed, the more money he will make.

Tall men earn more than shorter colleagues, research claims. - Telegraph

Interestingly in the below study it was found that there is only a "beauty premium" for men, women do not earn more for being beautiful.

Being good looking can earn you 20 per cent more - but only if you're a man - Telegraph

I was a little unsure on the latter studies findings, although in a way it makes sense. In women beauty is not typically seen as related to intelligence (think "the dumb blonde" or "bimbo" stereotypes) so these biases may impact career progression. Almost the reverse to what men experience.

Regardless though, I think it is a bit silly to say that looks have no impact on male career progression or worth, but do for women. Both the sexes are affected by this.

---------- Post added 8th Jun 2015 at 02:10 PM ----------

How are we measuring this stress though?

We have women starving themselves to death because they have eating disorders, and men committing suicide because they are losing their hair.

It does seem pretty belittling to suggest examples like the latter are somehow less important or less to do with real world stressors.

14. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Debates like this make me glad that I am fairly removed from the "social scene" of the internet. EC is really the only way I hear of them.

To call it an inherent double standard is total bs in my opinion. The idea itself affirms "feminism," if anything.

That being said, an individual both promoting this idea yet also holding women to unnecessary standards of beauty would indeed be creating a double standard.

---------------
    In reading through the entire thread, I will say I agree that these "standards of beauty" are pushed much more so on women. This does not take away the fact that removing such standards for men is also a good thing, however.

#14 Browncoat, Jun 8, 2015
  15. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    -cringe-

Anyways, I don't think it's sexist at all for men to reject society's beauty standards. How could it be sexist? It doesn't even involve women. The only way it involves women is when people choose to compare it to women's struggles, and play the "who has it worse" game. Women may have it worse, but it does not negate the fact that men also can have body issues and are brainwashed by society to need to conform to unattainable beauty standards. It actually seems fairly unrelated to women's struggles unless you make it that way. Men have their own issues they need to work on as well. So, I would say it is liberating, I guess.

16. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's fine. We have similar movements rejecting traditional ideas of female beauty by embracing curves, plus sized models, etc.

17. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bless you, Gen. (With the exception of a few typos that I corrected above) I couldn't have said this better myself.

The worth of women in our culture is judged primarily based on our appearance, and specifically, to our adherence to standard norms of beauty. Women aren't obsessed with clothes, shopping, shoes, hair, and make-up because we're weird Venusian estrogen-based beings. We have these interests in large part because how we look is the basis of how we are valued...both in terms of finding partners, but even in terms of landing jobs or being listened to in a meeting. And where do these expectations originate? Mainly they come from men.

So yeah...forgive us if we feel a little *yawn* about men feeling pressure to conform to appearance standards. YES, it is wrong. YES, it is damaging. YES, you do have a right to talk about it, and it is in *all* of our best interest to have it talked about. But I can't blame any woman for being a bit shrill on the topic, after she's found herself getting turned down for jobs or promotions that are then given to less qualified men or less qualified but more attractive women.

18. 741852963

I think that was my thoughts on the subject:

The mere labelling of "Dad Bods" is pretty unifying between men and women, due to the shared ideas of being "curvy"/rejecting traditional norms. It props up feminism in that respect

Obviously though a person embracing Dad Bods but holding women to a higher standard (i.e. expecting a Size 0 woman) would be being hypocritical.

As you'll have seen by now I think we will have to agree to disagree here.

However I do agree with you on one thing. It is wrong for people to say just because they view one group's cause as lesser than their own it a. does not deserve to be worked on, or worse b. that other group "deserves" the problems as some form of recompense for their own issues (as is commonly seen in discussions re objectification).

I am firmly of the opinion that two wrongs do not make a right.

19. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Except in SanFrancisco.

And among gay men, where body-image causes a host of psychological and health related issues, compared to men in general.

#19 HuskyPup, Jun 8, 2015
  20. Simple Thoughts

I have a question.

How do these women know that looks was what lost them the opportunity. Are they just assuming that's the reason or is their some kind of proof?

How do these women know that the person hired over them is 'more' attractive ( which is subjective as a concept anyways though I'll yield there is a general guideline for it ) and how do they know these other women or men are less qualified?

Like this stuff is kept confidential unless the other person tells you themselves.

Your potential employer is under no obligation to explain why they didn't hire you, and the people who do get hired over you are generally strangers to you, so how do you know?

Also what I've learned in life so far is that it's "Who you know" that really matters.

The boss' golfing buddy will get the good job every time.