1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - how do u manage your time ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nikky DoUrden, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Nikky DoUrden

Hey folks !
    Would anyone help me with tips about how you manage your own time with doing work/homework/projects/free-time and stuff like that ?
    Would be very appreciative and will give a virtual hugs :grin:
    Thanks ya'll (*hug*)

2. Foz

Foz Guest

How do I manage my time? Badly, that's how!

3. Nikky DoUrden

U still get a hug !! (*hug*) :grin:

4. guitar

The important thing is to get stuff done. If free time is occupying most of your time when you have stuff to do, you're not utilizing your time well.

5. Simple Thoughts

My job makes it feel like I have no time to get anything done.

Seriously...

I get off work and I have 5hrs, that's it. After that if I want 8hrs of sleep it's bedtime, and the weekend comes and goes in like 10 seconds...

I have so much to get done and it feels like there is no time to do any of it.

I made it worse by getting Pokemon X cause now there is so much to do in that game that it's sucking up all my time >.<

6. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Arfff

for me i have several stuff:
    1. Major Outline/Long Term Plan : i made a 10 years plan of myself (currently i'm on period 2013 to 2023); target schools, careers, degree, pending/to-attend courses etc... All of which have detailed expected enroll time, finish time and personal/institutional limit time

2. Moderate Outline/Intermediate Term Plan : Yearly plan. Mostly contain information about ongoing classes, mid terms and final exams, expected grades, important notices and deadlines, motor vehicle maintenance, monthly grocery shopping etc.

3. Short Term Plan : Monthly plans. Detailed this month schedule of day-to-day activity : school shifts, mentoring session, skills labs, part time job as TA schedule, weekly gorceries

4. Unplanned / Immediate actions : Usually during activity i obligated to do something that previously unplanned (mid course quizzes, essays, sudden opening at an intriguing program). If i have limited time, i usually do that with simple rule "If the task is finish-able in less than 30 minutes then do it now"

Any spare time i used by studying, washing my car, doing laundry, filling up gas on my car and bike, and exercising/working out

so far it worked for me
    it reduce my probability of procrastination because i'll know if one task/goal is not finish then the consequences will affect my whole outline (10 years plan)

7. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I procrastinate.

8. Hiems

I have an app on Windows 8 called Power Planner, which allows me to put in due dates for assignments, exam dates, work schedules, appointments, etc.

It helps for me to visually see all of my duties on a calendar, so that I can adjust my time accordingly. If I'm working the weekends, for instance, then I have to study earlier in the week, because by the time I get home from work, I'll be too exhausted to study.

9. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Manage my free time?!
    No way...

My work... I take fist the heavier tasks, then the lighter ones. Sadly my job is unpredictable (computers and humans), it's impossible to come with a perfect workplan.

I don't know, try to be ready for the unexpected, and control the amount of time you procrastinate.

You can use alarms to get stuff done. Or leave papers related to the task lying around.

10. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I've never been good at managing my time. I just hope that doesn't become a major problem later on or I somehow learn to gain the self discipline to care enough. For now, it's just smooth sailing.

11. Foz

Foz Guest

What I do rhymes with that, except it starts with 'M' :roflmao:

12. Nikky DoUrden

Wow thanks everyone :grin:

@sartorious - that seem very commited way! i'm gonna implement it :slight_smile:

@Hiems - i searched for that app but it seem complicated to install it on my windows then i remembered i have Microsoft Outlook which is somewhat the same so im gonna use it :grin:

And yay i learned a new word, procrastinate !
    Sounds like something tobias would say though ..
    (He just blue-ed himself!)
    [​IMG]

13. robclem21

Managing time is all about prioritizing. Sometimes there is enough time to get everything done and then time management is easy. Others, there isn't enough time and you can only get a portion of the things done that you want to. This means you need to prioritize what's important to you and recognize limitations of the day. Also, it is important to realize that these priorities can change over time.

For example, school is almost always a top priority for me, then work, then volunteering, then exercise, then sleep. Also, finding time for my boyfriend and family and friends is important too. After a few days without seeing my boyfriend, he goes right to the top of my list and nothing else is important to me. While, it may take a few months for my friends to jump over some of those other things. When everything else is too important, sleep and exercise get cut out until I need those again. Things are constantly getting shifted around to meet the needs of that day or week. Otherwise I would be entirely run down.

14. robclem21

Managing time is all about prioritizing. Sometimes there is enough time to get everything done and then time management is easy. Others, there isn't enough time and you can only get a portion of the things done that you want to. This means you need to prioritize what's important to you and recognize limitations of the day. Also, it is important to realize that these priorities can change over time.

For example, school is almost always a top priority for me, then work, then volunteering, then exercise, then sleep. Also, finding time for my boyfriend and family and friends is important too. After a few days without seeing my boyfriend, he goes right to the top of my list and nothing else is important to me. Meanwhile, it may take a few months for my friends to jump over some of those other things. When everything else is too important and needs to get done, sleep and exercise get cut out until I need those again. Things are constantly getting shifted around to meet the needs of that day or week. Otherwise I would be entirely run down.

#14 robclem21, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  15. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have an Excel spreadsheet. It has fourteen tabs, but the only really relevant one is my to do list. I keep a list of things that I need to do today, a list for this week, a list of general things to work on a chunk at a time, and a list of things that need to be done but aren't time-sensitive.

Motivating myself to actually complete the to do list was a lot easier when I was at school and free time was limited. Now that I'm at home and have all day, it's a lot easier to procrastinate. Sometimes I use rewards like "No Netflix until everything is done."