1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Police Brutality/Respectability Politics

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ZenMusic, Jun 8, 2015.

1. ZenMusic

[YOUTUBE]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R46-XTqXkzE&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE] First of all, I hope the parents sue the hell out of the police department for this because there is no way he should get away with swinging a girl around by her hair and putting his knee in her back, and then pulling out a gun on two boys. Black people need to stop deluding ourselves with this idea that if we "pull ourselves up and respect ourselves" that racism will magically disappear. It doesn't matter if you're driving a Benz, people see dark skin and they see a threat. It doesn't matter if you're walking around with Louie XIII's, people see dark skin and they see a threat. It doesn't matter how many gold necklaces or rings you have on, people see dark skin and they see a threat. This woman then has the audacity to tell the black people to go back to their Section 8 housing when the government put them there via redlining. And I'm just waiting for the "it's not about race" comments on the video....

2. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is definitely about race as the cops completely ignored the fat white guy walking around the place. There was no reason for the girl to be thrown to the dirt nor the gun being waved about. The barrel roll was a nice touch too. *sarcasm*

HOWEVER, there is conflicting info/opinions as to why cops were called in the first place:

https://www.tumblr.com/search/benet+embry

#2 QueerTransEnby, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not enough context to make a judgement really. He was kind of rough with that girl but that's the only issue I see. The rest seems to be that he was outnumbered and nobody was listening to what he said. What events led up to this? I also noticed a white kidforced to sit too. Interesting that the big white guy is just walking around though... lol... wtf.

---------- Post added 8th Jun 2015 at 04:16 PM ----------

It's propaganda.

4. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally though, that cop was running around like he was out of Super Troopers or something. I would be interested in knowing if the camera man is white or not. I am guessing he was white, being he wasn't harassed.

5. Foz

Foz Guest

While yes there is a racism issue in policing worldwide, it is hugely overstated and making people think there's problems where there are not does not help in any way, as it diverts the resources which can help away from the genuine cases. In the UK a white man died in police custody the other week, it ranked as the 17th most popular news item.

There seems to be this presumption that anything against black people is blatant racism, when the fact is it is often not or at worst poor policing and procedures which happens to black and white people alike.

#5 Foz, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  6. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I can't believe this stuff even goes on. I can't imagine what the hell was running through that cop's head when he found himself fricking kneeling on top of an innocent 14 year old girl. Throughout the whole video I was just waiting for him to realize "wait, I'm being a little rough. I should stop." or perhaps some of the other police officers trying to stop him and handle the situation more calmly, but that didn't happen. Right now, I'm doing a history project on the biggest challenges the US will face in the next couple of decades and I'm probably going to do it on police brutality and intimidation. I seriously hope that people can get their shit together and realize this is not okay and we can't just suspend cops. There need to be more consequences for this kind of behavior and anyone who acts like the guy in the video should not be allowed to be a cop in the first place.

7. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is definitely a problem of institutional racism within the American Justice System. There's a reason why the war on drugs in America has been called the "New Jim Crow". White people and black people use drugs at effectively the same rate, yet black people are arrested four times as much for nonviolent drug offenses. There is also a noticeable disparity between the sentences for cocaine powder (a drug more used by white people) and crack cocaine (a drug more black people use). Mandatory minimum sentences also effect black people more than they do white people.

Now, when it comes to the current event, the one officer definitely reacted very terribly to the situation, and the first mistake he and the other cops made was not letting all of those kids scatter and leave the premises. That would have made their job a lot easier. Drawing his gun and then pinning a teenage girl to the ground were also both uncalled for, and I do think this goes into what goes on in police training. Police are trained to always respond first, and ask questions later, with devastating consequences. I'm going to let more news of this story roll in, but the officer put on administrative leave was definitely a part of the problem.

8. kaotyc

I beg to differ about poor policing happening to black (or even Hispanic) and white people alike. I'm half-Puerto Rican, half-white. I pass as white, but I have friends who are more obviously Hispanic. I have witnessed and been in situations where racial discrimination HAS happenened.

Not to the extent of beatings, etc. But once, I was chilling with my friends who happen to be all guys. We were driving around and the cops pulled my friend over. They then proceeded to ask them why they were out so late at night (it was 9pm on a Saturday night, not that late) and then they notice me in the car. They immediately made everyone get out of the car. They then began to ask me if I was okay and if they took me against my will, etc.

Another incident, me and my mom (who is white) were in the car with my dad who is a dark-skinned Hispanic. He was driving the car that was registered to my mother. A cop pulled him over and started questioning him about why he was in a car not registered to him, etc. Then when my mom said she was the owner of the car, the cop asked her if she was okay.

I do agree that racially motivated police brutality is unnecessarily publicized. Because I'm friends with people who are cops and they are the coolest people ever. And when a cop does something good, it is overshadowed.

But racially motivated police brutality DOES happen.