1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you afraid of death?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Jun 8, 2015.

?

Are you afraid of death?

Poll closed Nov 12, 2017.
  1. Yes, very afraid

18 vote(s)
    18.6%
  2. Afraid but not overly much

11 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Just a bit/somewhat

8 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. Sometimes/depends on my mood

21 vote(s)
    21.6%
  5. Not at all

34 vote(s)
    35.1%
  6. I am dead

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll have to admit I'm very afraid of death. I'd like to believe in an afterlife, but I've never been able to. I had a close friend die at age 29, and it was really horrible, he did not seem happy at all as he slipped away, but more or less terrified. That moment has stuck with me a long time (died of liver cancer). I see him in my dreams often as if he hasn't died; perhaps so long as I live, he'll be there,in some sense. (we were best friends since 13, went to college together, shared a room, it was hard)

But back to the main point, death scares me. It's silly to worry about because it's going to happen anyway, and yet, I sit up nights sometimes in terror of it: Of me passing away, or my boyfriend, or my cat, or my parents who are getting older, and it dawns on me:

I'm terrified of death, and no attempt at spirituality has been any help.

How about everyone else?

2. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    afraid of death? I'd rather it not be painful and/or premature.

3. Stripe101

Every time I ponder this I always think of what Roger Ebert said three years before he died:

"I know it is coming, and I do not fear it, because I believe there is nothing on the other side of death to fear. I hope to be spared as much pain as possible on the approach path. I was perfectly content before I was born, and I think of death as the same state. "

I don't care about what happens after because I will cease to exist, only living on through my ;oved ones and my legacy.

4. The Wallflower

Hmm... I WONDER where you got the idea to make this... :lol:

Yep, definitely afraid of my own demise. I understand death is inevitable, but as much as I want to believe in an afterlife, you just can't be sure, and that freaks me out.

Not to mention the times I've just stared at the ceiling wondering whether or not I really will go to hell. ._.

5. Simple Thoughts

I fear death.

I don't have any phobia about it, but when I really sit down and think about it...it's a terrifying thought.

As much as my life is kinda meaningless and hollow, I prefer having this empty existence to nothing at all.

6. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No.

I fear suffering, but not death itself.

7. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

Dying? Fucking terrifying. Being dead? There's literally nothing to fear.

I'm more afraid of being on the precipice and looking back at a life wasted, the one shot blown.

#7 Miles16, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2015
  8. Doppelganger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Weirdly enough, not really. I don't mind much.

9. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I suppose that's true.

10. June Cleaver

Death is nothing to be afraid of. I once died for over three min with my mother present and two more times since and all three events I had no knowledge of my life here, but I was still me if that makes sense. All three times I went somewhere else and the last time I got so far then stopped and had the feeling I was not to be there and came back instantly to my body. All three times I was pulled back to my body from something in the middle of my back. Before that first time in 1994 I also was afraid of death. What scares me now is the thought of being reborn and having to live another life here. 12 more years of school, than college! YUCK!!!!! Childhood shots! LOL My advise is don't worry about what you cannot change and enjoy each and every day with those you love. Also do the things you want young enough to enjoy them such as traveling places you always wanted to see or buy that Supra turbo you always wanted. I thank God every day I still have my parents living a mile away and my elderly dog Dweebees and I get to spend one more day together. I guess I am saying do not miss out on today worried about tomorrow! June

11. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes! Exactly :grin:

12. Leanest

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not afraid of death, or maybe that's what I'm fooling myself by thinking. Life is ten times scarier compared to death. If I die a painful death, well, I'm not going to feel anything afterwards so why should I care? Nothing else happens in my opinion.

13. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, it's too bad I won't be reincarnated though...

14. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I voted "Afraid but not overly much." I might be confused sometimes but I really do value being alive. I'm taking care of my health now so that should help when I'm older. Sickness scares me more than death.

I wish I could live at least several hundred years in decent health. Hopefully humanity progresses in a positive manner. Maybe when I'm older I'll be glad to get a "good rest"... who knows.

15. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's the process that is often pretty ugly. I recall reading this book called, "How we Die", written by a Dr. and a NYT bestseller, and it wasn't comforting at all, as in the majority of cases, people don't just die peacefully in their sleep, but more slowly/painfully. So it made me wanna always have the right combination of meds on hand, for if I had a terminal disease, so I could go peacefully, passed out and floaty.

@June: Thanks...I am worry-wort, your post was very uplifting.

#15 HuskyPup, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  16. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most people will say they aren't afraid of death, but when push comes to shove, I am entirely certain that everyone here would be shitting themselves if they confronted it in the face. For centuries, millennia, mankind has conjured up ideas of an afterlife, or something similar such as reincarnation, to cope with the inevitability that every single one of us will die at some point. The thought of our consciousness simply fading away, as if we never existed in the first place, is pretty unpleasant. The concept of nonexistence is something we can't possibly imagine. It's quite scary.

So yes, I am very afraid of dying. Hardly a day goes by where the thought doesn't crop up at least once. I would do anything to stave of my own death. It has nothing to do with accomplishing nothing, nor the potential pain and suffering involved with the process - I just don't want to die. Not now not ever.

I've gotten better over the years at dealing with this though. When I was younger, I would cry at night just thinking about my eventual demise. I remember once that I had convinced myself that I had a life threatening illness and would be died soon, I was bordering on panic attack and booked an appointment at the doctors because I was do convinced that I was going to die.

#16 imnotreallysure, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  17. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

that's one perfectly accurate statement.
    Nothing to be afraid of death except the suffering on the process towards it

18. JessRae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    No, I think it is much better to be dead than live on life full of pain and suffering at least when your dead you don't have to worry on such things nor feel anything.

19. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    ^

20. MouseKeeper

Slowly but surely, I'm leaving the fear stage. It's not as scary as it used to be. But everything I enjoy, every person I know and love, every memory I currently have with them, I know, that someday, that's all I'll have of them because someday, my family will be gone. It makes it worse because one of my aunts died of a massive stroke last year, and it wasn't until I saw her laying in the casket, that I realized I'm never going to see her again. So, no. I'm not afraid of death as much as I used to be. It's just depressing to think about because of it being the finality of life. Once you're dead, you're dead. There's no second chance. So, I try not to think about it so much, I do my best to try to make the world a better place, in addition to trying to live it to the fullest and enjoy life while I can.