1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biggest disadvantage of being a gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonybg, Jun 8, 2015.

1. anthonybg

anthonybg Guest

What do you think is the biggest disadvantage of being a gay? To me, the rejection and the negative comments you have to deal with way too often. How about you?

2. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Worrying how people who don't know about my sexuality would feel about me if they were to find out. Would they feel uncomfortable? Disgusted?

3. guitar

There are a lot of negatives to being born gay. Just off the top of my head:
    - Persecution in many countries around the world, including some stoning / killing you for being gay
    - Having to hide your true self depending on who you're around
    - Feeling ashamed in certain circumstances for loving someone of the same gender
    - Feeling ashamed / having to hide public displays of affection with a partner
    - Dealing with awkward moments over your sexuality
    - Getting disowned by friends or family
    - Having religious people hate you because of a vague passage in a 2000-year-old book
    - Gay males, the threat and stigma of aids
    - Overcoming major hurdles having kids
    - Being looked at suspiciously in a locker room or when around children

Biggest advantage of being gay: getting to love who I really love and being able to clear a massive hurdle in my life which was impeding my own happiness and sense of self-worth.

4. mangotree

Disadvantage: Having a MUCH smaller dating pool
    Advantage: Having an excuse and opportunity to challenge stale and boring social norms

5. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The huge number of people in the world who think I deserve to die.

6. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't had to deal with many negative comments, but it's just the knowledge that I'm "not normal" that I hate. There there will always be people who think my very existence is "wrong".

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Definitely the sinning.

LOL.

8. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being gay is fantastic, just awesome. Sure there may be some downsides. There are to anything in life. But who would actually want to be straight? Not me. I feel a bit sorry for straight people. They can't help it, of course. They were just born that way, I guess.

9. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    lol @ "a gay"

My grandpa used to say that in a way that made it sound like we were cryptozoological creatures only rarely seen out in the wild. "Vinny told me that his friend's cousin knew about a gay! Can you believe it? A gay...here in our town!"

What he didn't know [DRAMATIC MUSIC!!!] was that a gay had even infiltrated his own family. The lesbianis feminas is a particularly deviant and tricky gay who can blend in with the population and give noncommittal answers when asked about boyfriends! If you think you've spotted this elusive creature, keep your distance and wait for her to check out another woman's posterior to confirm your suspicions.

10. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmmm... Salary and glass ceiling, definately. :slight_smile:

11. anthonybg

anthonybg Guest

Thank you all for the answers! :slight_smile:

12. Emmanuella

For me, the biggest disadvantage is not knowing if the women I'm interested in are even into women. The odds are usually stacked against me, and they usually aren't!

Mais, c'est la vie!

13. anthonybg

anthonybg Guest

True. It would be so cool if we could read other people's thoughts. What if the guy (girl) you have a crush on turns out to be gay? That would be so cool, if he/she has the same feeling for you, of course.

14. PeacefulWarrior

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hate when outside, on the street or among other people I must predict we're friends with my gf. In this country, you can't hold your same-sax parter's hand on the street because you're disgusting.
    I hate when people say: "I don't care if you're gay, but do it only at home." But every time I go out, couples almost eating each other or having sex on the streets and people like: "Oh, how cute youngsters!".

15. anthonybg

anthonybg Guest

I know right! The same thing goes to Bulgaria as well. We're not respected. We're "the trash" of the society and have to face negative comments all the time.

Something off topic: I'm going on a holiday in Hungary this summer! I was wondering if you could tell me where can we go sightseeing in Budapest? I'm going to stay there for two days, I've never been abroad and I'm really excited! I want to see all the famous sights of the city Any suggestions? :slight_smile: Thanks in advance.

16. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The closet was awful, truly awful. But as far as now that I'm out and settled in to be honest there aren't a lot of disadvantages. I realize I am truly fortunate in that--there are still a lot of places where gay people face truly awful discrimination. But for the most part I haven't experienced much at all--and I've been out for over 20 years. That's one of the things that I feel made my experience of the closet so awful in retrospect--all that fear and warping of my soul over the fear of a bunch of things that never really materialized.

17. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The closet was definitely living hell for me, and a lot of other people I've talked to. The whole "Silence = Death" thing of the 1980's and 1990's when it was about HIV/AIDS? I think that's also accurate when it comes to the closet, even if you do not physically die from the closet, it eats away at you bit by bit, and you feel like a part of you is either dead or barely breathing. At least that's what it felt like for me.

18. anthonybg

anthonybg Guest

You see, that's why I want to move to the States. You guys are much more tolerant toward gay people and live a quite a peaceful homosexual life rather than the people in Europe. I'm glad you can be yourself without facing much discrimination! :slight_smile: Hope the things remain the same, buddy! :eusa_danc

---------- Post added 9th Jun 2015 at 03:37 PM ----------

I'm so happy for you! I'm glad you can proudly say you're gay and that it's easier for you to talk about your gay problems without feeling ashamed or uncomfortable! :slight_smile: And that you got over your "death", haha. :eusa_clap

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The biggest disadvantage, as you may have deduced from the above comments is the need to come out of the closet. In a sense you have to be "born again" to use a well-known phrase (in an entirely different context!).

In gay life there is BCO (Before Coming Out) and ACO (After Coming Out), and these are two entirely different ways to live. The misery is in the closet....

20. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Rejection, Disowned and Death Threat

and yeah
    public whiplashes and jail time

Suck being me
    arfff~~