1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We need more kids like this

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pret Allez, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Trying to research what school this is so I can send them hate mail for being unethical pieces of shit. This is pretty great though.

[​IMG]

2. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good job, Chloe~ whoever you are.
    School dress code I find is kinda ridiculous sometimes.
    I mean, don't show up to school in skimpy lingerie please. But no leggings? That doesn't make any sense. I'm pretty sure the teachers are the only ones disrupting class, well this teacher.
    My school has a dress code, but they are lenient on it, and it's great.

3. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well it's rather great that this girl seems to care about her education but she did break school rules and the teacher was only enforcing that. It's true that you go to school for an education but it shouldn't be a fashion show and wearing whatever you want. Rules are rules and she broke them, plain and simple.

4. ApexxShadow

This is honestly perfect

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, she broke the rules and is now being a little shit about it, but still funny. XD

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like her.

7. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hehe, that brought back some school days memories...
    Breakin' the law, breakin' the law...

8. Sek

Sek

When will society stop blaming women when they are the victims? Women are not to blame for the male gaze. Expecting girls to wear certain clothes because boys get distracted is so illogical to me -- it's like believing the way to stop a kid drowning in a pool is to remove the water. No, you teach the kid to swim.

The enforcement of these rules only passes an underlying message that it's not wrong for boys to look at girls sexually. It's sickening.

9. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Over leggings!! They cover the body so how would it be suggestive unless the teacher had a deep traumatic experience of them or a fetish. She's a funny girl.
    Dress codes are ridiculous. A group formed in my school over this and seriously, they got hell because they were making a "ridiculous protest".

---------- Post added 9th Jun 2015 at 03:00 PM ----------

The "male gaze" applies only to straight and bi men, but I've wondered if it's because that gaze leads to distractions elsewhere *cough* boner alert! So then, would this public boner be more offensive than the woman showing their skin? It could be ill-formed rule to deal with ignorance and prevent offending anyone because they are uptight prudes.
    We can't win that battle if we desperately suppress our natural bodily reactions.
    And also, the idea that woman are sexually loose and slutty, undisciplined and un-ladylike because they show skin is laughable. It's ironic that these traits woman display shame them as "mentally weak" and yet the "distractions" of men are patronized when they show their own inability to be mentally capable to ignore them.
    I don't know, just some thoughts:confused:

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

"Nothing. I'm still going to wear leggings."

[​IMG]

11. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^^Exactly

12. Sek

Sek

The male gaze refers to the way in which society views things from a male perspective. These rules of appropriate dress code are set from a patriarchal perspective which sees women as sexual objects belonging to men. It's not about only being applied to straight or bi men, it's about society as a whole.

Natural bodily reactions being suppressed is not the issue. We are allowed to feel what ever we want, but we are not allowed to act however we want. Even if suppressing 'natural bodily reactions' was the issue at hand, I don't think subjecting women to ridiculous rules and standards is the solution.

13. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that's a wild conclusion to jump to given how little you have to go on. I doubt this school is enforcing a strict dress code on the basis of boys ogling over girls in skimpy clothing. My high school enforced a similarly strict dress codes for both boys and girls because mini skirts and shorts were deemed unsuitable for a serious academic environment, or such nonsense. Plus, we had set uniforms - so even turning up in a pair of sneakers would be enough to get you sent home.

You might be right, of course, but given the only thing we know is that a girl was sent home for wearing leggings, because it goes against their school's dress code, I don't think your claims that this girl is a 'victim' of any sort holds up.

14. The Wallflower

My school has a dress code and uniform, but it's not because they worry about guys checking out girls, it's mostly because they "worry about our safety." Plus, our uniform identifies us in case of emergencies.

We occasionally have "Casual Days" where we have to pay $1.00 to wear colored clothing. Not kidding.

Props to the girl. We have girls at my school who get called to the principal's office every day for wearing jeans. If I ever get sent to the principal, you can bet I'm gonna come up with something like this.

15. Sek

Sek

I don't think my conclusion is unreasonable or wild given the story at hand. After all, your school is guilty of the same thing - controlling people through dress codes. Why should dress affect your ability to study? It doesn't. Just look at universities which have no dress codes.

This is a conformity thing. The more aspects of students lives that are controlled, the more they will be used to conforming to the expected standards. Your school is doing just that.

16. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think dress codes are relevant to the academic performance of pupils, but I don't know if this particular incident is a result of the patriarchy like your earlier comment implied. That's all. It might be, but there is no reason to assume that is the case.

17. Sek

Sek

Well, can you offer an alternative explanation for it?

18. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well there's a catch to your first statement. Gay men will objectify other men, but not woman. Assuming I'm correct in saying that, it's not really about the patriarchal perspective, because a patriarchy objectifies the woman as property. I agree with that. What I'm trying to get at is why these rules exist in the first place. Whether they serve to ascertain woman's status as property or acquiesce the possessiveness of men. These are very archaic rules and their reason serves no purpose today.
    I mention the natural reactions, most notably men's erection, because I considered it the equivalent of females showing skin. Their shoulders and legs are sexualized, men's genitals are as well. Male genitalia is censored and so are woman but they are expected to avoid revealing clothes. The rationale being that woman are tempting to these men, and woman to the other. The clothing would be the solution because it eliminates that.

19. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly don't understand why so many schools have a problem with leggings. My school doesn't let students wear leggings but it lets them wear ridiculously short skirts. :confused: What's with that logic? Some dress codes are pretty bizzare...

When I was in junior high I got in trouble for wearing leggings and it was so embarrassing because I was forced to wear my gym shorts the rest of the school day, so everyone knew I broke the dress code and laughed at me for it. O.O

At my current school we can't wear sweatpants or leggings, which meant I had to get an entirely new wardrobe when I switched schools. My mom was so frustrated. :lol:

20. Sek

Sek

Assuming what you say here is true, gay men are a minority so it has little impact. Plus it doesn't mean women are any less affected by societal rules. Women face patriarchy and that's a fact.

These rules exist with the aim to serve men. They enforce women's submissiveness towards men for a few reasons: women become a method for the release of men's anger through domestic abuse; women act as a reserve of cheap labour; when women are employed they are also expected to maintain domestic work; some women have paid employment outside the home while still remaining responsible for the majority of household tasks and care for children.

Women's subordination absolutely serves purpose today. The reasons I've given here are just the tip of the iceberg.

Can you really equate male genitalia to female skin? That seems extreme to me. I don't know exactly what your point is here - maybe that women being revealing will lead to men having public erections that are offensive? I can't see the appeal of that argument. Women should not be forced to adapt their clothes to stop men having public erections. If having a public erection is a problem, then those men should change something about themselves and not someone else. I don't know, castrate yourself or something.

#20 Sek, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015