1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe in Zodiac signs?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sek, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Sek

Sek

I am someone who is incredibly sceptical about things like this and I usually think they're a waste of time. But growing up I noticed I had a knack for guessing people's birth months based on their personalities. This led me to believe that there's something in Astrology. Maybe not so much shifting planets and cosmic forces determining our lives, but I definitely think that the time of year you're born has effects on your personality and signs are a real pattern.

Although there are some exceptions to the rule (as there always is), I'd say the descriptions of zodiac signs are pretty accurate. I definitely match the Aries description to a tee: independent, enthusiastic, a go-getter, yet impulsive, impatient, self-involved.

What's your sign?
    Do you match the qualities associated with it?
    What are your thoughts surrounding this stuff?

2. ZenMusic

I don't believe in it, I'm a Capricorn and my element is Earth but I only match some of the characteristics of this sign and of Earth signs. I also find it silly that there are two signs in the Zodiac I'm supposed to get on with two other people (in my case, it's Taurus and Virgo, the other two Earth signs.) I had an English teacher in Year 8 who I could not stand who was a Virgo, and my worst enemy is a Taurus. And some of my best friends have been Cancers.

3. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't think they're real at all, it's more of a confirmation bias if you find your personality fitting with your zodiac description. Still it's fun to read about and laugh at sometimes when you are the complete opposite of your horoscope sign.

4. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe Zodiac signs exist.

I don't believe they hold any significance to a person's personality. I think the alignment of the stars and planets are irrelevant to the outcome of a person's life, and people who rely on them for good luck or lead their life expecting bad luck on the basis of Mystic Meg, need a reality check.

Whether being born at a certain time of year influences your personality is another question though - but that is unrelated to made up signs.

#4 imnotreallysure, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Mystic Meg told me you'd say that!

6. Sek

Sek

I DIED. :roflmao:

7. Hizaki

I'm not even sure what my personality is supposed to be, based on Aquarius, but I like at least reading about these things. That is to say I'm interested, but if you put a gun to my head for the truth, I'd say I don't believe it pretty easily. Just like ghosts; they're fun/cool, but I usually say that "I don't claim to know anything about anything". > <

8. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone is a psychic though - you just need to tap into your dormant abilities. Maybe Mystic Meg can help you.

9. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nah, I'm supposed to be a Virgo and no- that's just not me. My creativity and emotion-ness is too much for "Virgo" though horoscopes are pretty fun to read~

10. The Wallflower

11. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Yes I believe they exist, but people usually don't believe in their accuracy because they don't understand how the lineup for personality works.

It's not just your sun (zodiac) sign that determines who you are but also your rising, moon, venus, mars signs, etc. And those can all have different zodiac signs which is why no two people of the same signs are alike.

I'm technically a virgo which mostly fits, but I have the inner emotions of a libra, the romantic feelings of a leo, and the anger/sex drive of a taurus according to my chart. And I would say all of those things fit me 100% in regards to where my emotions go.

12. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a Virgo, and I'd say it certainly suits me more than any of the other signs.

My best friend's sign doesn't suit her at all though. :lol: Or her little sister's. Or my dad's.

For many people I know, their sign describes them very well. But yeah, I know some people who are totally the opposite of their sign. So I can't believe in them 100%. They're right more often than not though, from what I've seen.

13. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What I've been saying this whole time,everyone is psychic, some abilities just lay dormant or others are in denial(!)(!)(!)

14. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Not really, although I'm a Pisces and the description of a Pisces is actually pretty spot on for me. But personally I think that's the same for most people just because if you're looking for similarities, you'll find them.
    I don't believe in horoscopes either but sometimes I read them just for fun.
    Anyway that's just me. Who knows? I think it's still pretty interesting.

15. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't believe in horoscopes or the efficacy of astrology, no. I think a lot of it is nothing more than the confirmation bias on a grand scale.

16. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's certainly something to be said for applying descriptions to oneself when persuaded.

But I do think Taurus fits me somewhat well. Besides, it's all in good fun. :slight_smile:

#16 Batman, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  17. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    aquarius, whatever that means

18. MrSecret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Did you see that Buzzfeed video where people had their horoscopes read? Well basically they were all given descriptions of themselves, but it ended up being the same thing for each of them. Same with the zodiac, their vague enough that anyone can relate to them.

That being said, there are a few that have me spot on (Usually my attitude and skills) but a lot of the time they say I'm very social, which I'm not.

19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Probably more coincidence than anything but, wow, do I ever have a lot of fire sign friends, being one myself.

If I read the basic descriptions of the 12 signs, I'd probably pick out mine. The ones I am least like are Scorpio and Cancer and, IRL, I'm not close to anyone in those signs.

I think it's more coincidence than anything and one which has built in confirmation bias, as was suggested, because of how broadly the descriptions are written.

20. bajel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't know if I believe in it but I know that it's fun. In the grand scheme of things, it truly doesn't matter if it's true or not.

I totally identify with my sign though (pisces) like just everything about it. I think a lot of times it's true for my friends too. I don't really believe in horoscopes though. I love the kind of posts going around on tumblr that are like "the signs' reactions to someone flirting with them". I think the time of year you're born in kinda influences who you are but I don't think that translates to how the future will be.