1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I may have made a mistake ^^"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Simple Thoughts, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Simple Thoughts

Today at work ( because apparently something about me screams Gay ) one of my co-workers asked me straight up if I was gay, and I tend to pretty much answer that question honestly. So without thinking I just answered it, but now that I'm thinking about it I'm starting to worry.

I mean I work at a place where our boss gave one of the workers the indian name "Twofagsfuckin" so it may not be in my best interest to have that going around, and I have only known this guy like 2 days so I don't even know a thing about him *Sighs* I really hope this doesn't turn into some kind of trouble for me.

2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know how things work where you live but if a boss or manager here gave someone such a derogatory and homophobic name, they could face disciplinary action. It could even be construed as sexual harassment.

3. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Maybe you should talk to this guy and just explain to him that you're cool with him knowing, but that you wish he wouldn't tell a lot of people because you don't want it to lead to any trouble with the boss.

4. Simple Thoughts

I live in a kinda rural area and people being like that isn't exactly uncommon so I can't imagine there is much that can be done about it.

The guy seemed alright, so I'm hoping he won't saying anything to anyone. If he does though I guess it's whatever. Hard to say what people will do/think.

Besides apparently something about me screams gay anyways so I'm sure many of them already think that I am.

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Idk if they have discrimination protections in Ohio but I hope they do because I wouldn't be out at your work.

6. Simple Thoughts

I honestly don't know, but I don't believe so.

Does it really matter?

I mean unless someone wanted to deal with a lengthy legal battle and a blackmark for future employment opportunities ( as in who wants to hire that person who has sued an employer before ) but I'd say most people don't wanna deal with that.

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Living in Ohio, we do not have protections in this state. Right now we have a Republican majority, so it's not happening anytime soon. I think that Columbus does have protections, but it is hard to prove that an employer fired you for being LGBT. They usually hide that under something else. I guess the best thing thst you can do is wait and see what happens.

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It might be worth your time to do a bit of research into the laws/regulations on employee rights and what kind of protection and/or recourse would be available to you. Having that information, never hurts.

If nothing has been said by someone else thus far, chances are that your co-worker might not have said anything to anyone else. I'd just leave it and see how things go. :slight_smile:

9. EnviroLady

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Argh I hate that overstepping feeling. I think the idea of research is great and just waiting to see what transpires. I completely understand the whole not wanting the boss to know, we are here to support you should anything happen. Hopefully it will just be brushed over but better that people know who you are than make gay jokes when you are around that make you unfortable and to know the company stance on gayness when you just start than finding out after years you won't be accepted and have to hide who you are. No point working for a company who cannot accept you for who you are. Better to be poor and happy than rich and miserable.

10. awdru15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi simple thoughts I would look up something called Data Protection Act basically it protects individuals private information being passed on I doubt he would tell anybody anyway because of being unprofessional but look up the Act just to cover your back .

11. Simple Thoughts

Oh well this isn't a lifetime career for me. I just need to survive until I can move in December or find a better job.