1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I handle it well?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Emmanuella, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Emmanuella

So today I was a substitute teacher in a kindergarten class. The teacher left some fathers day cards for the kids to make.

There was one little boy who came from a family of two moms (how cool is that!?!?) Anyway, when the boy asked me who to address I told him he can address the father's day card to his 2 mom's, and that they are happy/lucky that they get to receive cards for both mother's day and father's day.

The little boy seemed satisfied/excited with my suggestion, so I hope it won't offend his moms to receive a father's day card.

Are there any current same-sex parents here? Opinions? Would you have preferred the card be addressed to a grandpa or uncle!?

I was trying to think of how I would feel as a (hopefully) future LGBT parent. I honestly don't think I'd care at all either way, but some people cate about these little things... thoughts?

2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I wasn't raised by two mothers, but my father was never around, and on father's day, I sent my grandfather a card instead. I can't imagine they will be offended though.

3. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you did well, so you deserve an applause. :slight_smile:

[​IMG]

4. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's really sweet! I wouldn't find it offensive if I was in that situation. As a possible future LGBT parent (I know, waaaay ahead into the future, but still) I'd think it's an adorable gesture and love what my child gives me

5. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Of course they're not gonna be offended, that's a nice gesture and I'm sure they will love anything their son makes them. You did a good job making him not feel alienated, and making the assignment relatable to him.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It should be fine. Although not a parent myself, I can't see his moms getting upset about it. It's really the thought that counts and I'm sure they'll appreciate it. :slight_smile:

7. Emmanuella

Ok...I just tend to over thunk things. In any case, chances are I might not be with that same class again after father's day anyhow!

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: