1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

closet and out of closet relationship dilemma

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by europeanguy, Jun 11, 2015.

1. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    in uni i plan to be openly gay as this is my best quality (well i think personally its the best thing i like about myself) but my boyfriend is in the closet. since we'd be hanging out alot and id be openly (and perhaps obviously) gay im wondering how this will affect him. should i hold off on being open so he doesnt have to be aswell? and then we both become open about it at the same time? or is there some other way?

EDIT: not specifically open about our relationship just open about sexuality

2. Lyana

Hello europeanguy,

It's cool that you're comfortable with your sexuality and thinking of being out in uni! I support that decision... Being out in uni has brought me nothing but happiness. I have three things to say, regarding your problem:

- You want to know how it would affect your boyfriend? That's something you have to discuss with your boyfriend. Talk to him about it, and see how he feels. Would he be okay with you being out, and there potentially being rumors about you two? Would he hate it? Would it be a dealbreaker for him? Is he considering coming out in the near future?

- Once you know how he feels, you can make an informed decision. In the end, it's your choice to make. You sound like you're ready to be out, and I think it could be good for you. You'll have to look at that, and look at what your boyfriend will have told you, and figure out what's more important.

- Personal experience here: The girl I'm seeing is fully out, but I wasn't out at all when we started seeing each other. We spend a lot of time together, often closely together, and show affection -- but some of our friends still haven't clocked on to our relationship. Uni is not like high school. People just don't care about the same things -- and, in my experience, are much more accepting. I personally think you being out wouldn't be an issue, even if he isn't out.