1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best universities?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonybg, Jun 11, 2015.

1. anthonybg

anthonybg Guest

Can anyone suggest me good universities in Europe where they don't demand much money in order for the students to get good education? I really want to apply for one but I certainly can't afford universities like Cambridge or Oxford unless I win a scholarship from an English language competition, which is possible, but not likely, haha.

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

2. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    British universities are quite expensive now. As an EU student you would pay £9,000 a year. Oxford and Cambridge also have college fees. And living in a British city can be very expensive. If you are interested in a British university, I would look for whatever scholarships are available in Poland for overseas study.

Other EU countries, like the Scandinavian countries, have much cheaper university fees. And EU citizens pay whatever a national of the country pays.

US universities are VERY expensive, but do have generous bursaries for the right people.

What do you want to study?

3. anthonybg

anthonybg Guest

I haven't decided yet but I'm going to study programming next year so I want it to be something related to Computer engineering. I'm in 9th grade and I know it's too early to make such an important decision but I guess having such a profession is highly profitable. I don't really know what I'm really into, not yet, but I might get interested in programming and writing various weird computer codes, lol. All I know is I'm good at English. I went to the second part of Cambridge's University competition. And three points were separating me from the first place (did I say that right?), lol.

4. Doppelganger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As far as I know, european students can also get loans for the government, same as british students. I am not COMPLETELY SURE and I don't know which countries would be considered, but in theory you could get a student loan being european so you could afford the tuition fees. Sadly, they wouldn't cover any living expenses so you would need to provide for yourself.

5. anthonybg

anthonybg Guest

Well, they certainly won't cover the tuition fees. Believe me, we always have to pay. My sister had to pay 5000 levs (about 2500 euro) in the course of 4 years but I guess it also depends on the specialty you want to study for.

#5 anthonybg, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2015
  6. Foz

Foz Guest

7. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    IF I were you I'd try and convince my parents that I should definitely study abroad, and once they're on board with that I'd check for EU scholarships for talented students.

The Scandinavian countries don't have tuition fees for EU citizens, but you have to learn the language of the respective country in order to proceed with your studies. You will also need money to pay for the living expenses, that's where the parents might help you.

It is difficult, but it's not impossible. Basically, that's how I did it. Most often two problems come up with studying abroad - the language and the money.

8. Doppelganger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I might be wrong, then. Anyway, I am going through some websites because I was almost sure EU students could get a loan for their university tuition fee, I will let you know if I find something useful.

Well, found it: if you have been an european citizen for over three years, you could apply for a student loan same as a british student http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/financial-help-for-eu-students just in case you are interested. You would need to repay it and such, but you would have your tuition fees covered same as everyone.

#8 Doppelganger, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  9. anthonybg

anthonybg Guest

Thanks for making this research. :slight_smile:

10. Doppelganger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No worries, it was just five minutes, to be honest. Don't know if you would be interested in a british university as they are quite pricey but well, just in case. Good luck!

11. anthonybg

anthonybg Guest

My situation is a bit different but I guess if I'm doing well at my studies, my mom might make up her mind on whether or not I'm going to study somewhere else. I will have saved a little money by then, and it might be enough for me to study abroad but she'll surely have to send me money, especially for food and a hostel, lol.

---------- Post added 11th Jun 2015 at 11:39 PM ----------

Of course I am but that's the bad thing, they're too expensive for me to afford studying at them. Hope this will change with the time.

12. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

It actually depends on a lot of things, first and foremost is teaching language

i also aim to get a Master degree in Germany, From what i've researched so far the classes with no tuition fee or up to €600 each semester are taught in German Language, For classes taught in English the tuition fee is almost 10x higher than the classes that taught in German language.

But the tuition fee's and total living cost in Germany is definitely more affordable than US or UK for sure

13. Doppelganger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, sure, they are expensive, but if you get a student loan the government would pay for your tuition fee (meaning you don't have to pay for university itself) and then you repay it when you get a job and start earning money. So, it would be "free" somehow as you wouldn't need to pay for your degree, but of course you would need to support yourself (housing, transport, food) and that could be expensive, but I guess it would be the same in any country, unless they offer some kind of scholarship.

14. Foz

Foz Guest

Currently ~80% of German courses are taught in English with a target of 100% by 2018 or something like that. The only reason Germany is doing this is because they have a birthrate crisis, in 10-15 years the qualified workforce is going to shrink by ~10% so this is their plan to get people in.

The UK doesn't have this problem so international students effectively subsidise part of the cost of UK students!

15. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Good thing they have crisis, now i might have a good chance to slip in :grin::grin: