1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think about Trigger Warnings

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Simple Thoughts, Jun 11, 2015.

?

Are Trigger Warnings a good idea?

Poll closed Jun 14, 2015.
  1. Yes I think Trigger Warnings are a wonderful idea!

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. No, they are a terrible idea

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. I'm not sure

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  4. I don't care

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. Simple Thoughts

I'm just curious what you all think about Trigger Warnings.

I know my reputation so let me make this clear. I do NOT want this to be about feminism or social justice so let's just keep this isolated to trigger warnings okies ^w^ ( this is something that is usually my fault so hopefully I can follow my own rules x3 )

I have two major issues with Trigger Warnings.

My first being that it completely kills art and artistic expression. What I mean by this is that if (Trigger warning: This book contains Rape ) pops up before you read a single page of a book, than you already know to put up your emotional barriers and walls before you being reading and in doing so it takes away the books ability to 'catch you off guard with a powerful emotion. In other words it strips the book of it's power to have any impact on you whatsoever. Also it kinda spoils the book as well and when you already know what's gonna happen it takes the fun outta even bothering to read it in the first place.

My second being that it promotes people running away from their problems. It's this idea that if real world concepts are "Too tough" for someone than instead of helping them overcome these obsticles we should shove them into a room ( metaphorically speaking ) with puppies rainbows and unicorns and assure them that they don't ever have to touch reality again and can live in their happy place forever. I find that to be extremely psychologically damaging and a road block to any dealing with real trauma as at some point people need to move on, and this is only giving them more 'outs' to run away and retreat internally.

Still I'm curious, what do you think?

2. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    mmmmmmmm.... yus, you and I get along on some things :slight_smile:

3. Simple Thoughts

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A little bit of both. Not everybody is always ready to deal with traumatic thoughts and it's a courtesy. At the same time, we live in a world with bad things and it's unrealistic and unhelpful to think that shielding them from your potentially triggering post will give them comfort.

Personal demons will persist until they are confronted. I've seen some stuff too so I'm not just talking crap. It feels much better to reach acceptance of crazy, awful experiences.

5. newfish

I feel like there's a difference between running away from your problems and avoiding possible triggering content until you've successfully had the treatment so that it's not a problem anymore.

6. Simple Thoughts

How someone intends to use something ( or idealizes it ) and how it's actually used are two different things.

There is already a 'real life trigger warning room' that is basically a preschool room for adults with puppy videos included. It's going the way of escapism.

7. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh man, the nuance in this poll is outstanding. :rolle:

Yes, trigger warnings are usually fine in most cases. There are some cases where they are overused, but for the most part they are perfectly sensible. I won't yell at someone for not using trigger warnings but it would be nice to know if a certain show or article has for example, graphic images of rape or other sexual violence. You could say TV and movie ratings are a mild version of a trigger warning.

PREACH.

8. Simple Thoughts

People have to start somewhere and if you ask me a book is a good place to start. If it gets too tough ( even if you're caught off guard ) you can physically close it and set it down until you've recomposed yourself.

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2015 at 12:13 AM ----------

Tv ratings are meant to seperate adult content from children's content though I agree with your sentiment here.

I don't care for trigger warnings myself. I think it's taking things too far and we're going to be stuck with a future society of people who are incapable of handling reality.

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2015 at 12:14 AM ----------

Sorry, I didn't feel like coming up with 10 unique and well defined sub responses. I figured yes, no, maybe, and who cares were good enough.

9. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think trigger warnings are stupid. Every time I read something and the first thing I read is "TRIGGER WARNING!" I want to beat whoever wrote that to a pulp. The only types of people I see who write it are weak and don't know how to deal with their problems.

10. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I disagree. I have seen many people who are well grounded in reality and think that trigger warnings are fine. I've also seen people who are not well grounded in reality who tell people like victims of sexual assault, violence, bullying, etc, to "stop being such a fucking pussy and get over it" (I've heard this numerous times about people talking to an acquaintance who had been sexually harassed at work). That sentiment can be just as harmful to someone as over nurturing them. You have to strike a balance, and that's what the people at the far end of both spectrums on this issue do not understand.

That's a bit of a hasty generalisation about people who use trigger warnings, as well as a very untrue notion that people who prefer trigger warnings do not know how to deal with their problems.

11. Simple Thoughts

Also when you see "Trigger Warning" on something you know that the subject matter is most likely going to be on a social issue or be a metaphor for a social issue so you've basically already read it once you see that. You know what view they hold, what it's going to be about, and there's no point in actually reading it anymore.

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think they meant the answers are too extreme. You can agree with their presence without thinking they should be used everywhere, can generally disagree without saying they're terrible, and anyone who doesn't care probably won't bother to vote. :lol:

13. Simple Thoughts

I wouldn't tell anyone "don't be a pussy"

I can actually understand someone not being able to deal with a touchy subject in media. It makes perfect sense to me, but trigger warnings don't help anything at all. This problem can easily be solved by simply walking away when it gets too tough.

Also, like I said earlier it really defeats the artists/creators intent when the emotionally compelling content is revealed before the proper time and takes all of the power away from their platform leaving it just another thing for someone to idly gloss over expectantly.

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2015 at 12:20 AM ----------

Well my question was "are they a good idea?" not "Should they be used on everything ever for all times?"

14. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This. Like my answer: I generally think they're okay but can sometimes be too extreme. None of the poll options accurately reflect my answer. An "other" option is always a good idea if people have very nuanced answers on a touchy subject, and it helps get rid of a lot of polls with 20 answers.

I'm sure you wouldn't. Any decent human being wouldn't. But there are a lot of people who think that whenever people don't "man up" and immediately face their problems, they're seen as weak. Trigger warnings don't take away from creativity I don't feel. I've written numerous pieces for posts I've put on here (such as a letter to my past self) as well as pieces of fiction I have wrote that deal with real issues such as shaming, death, and so on. People I showed them to still thought it was very moving, even after being prepared by a trigger warning. In fact, my English teacher said it was one of the heaviest and hard hitting pieces of fiction he had read.

15. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't really seen trigger warnings often, but it seems people always talk about them. I've seen maybe 1-2 in my entire life and at least one of those was here, I think. Where is everybody else seeing them? From what it sounds like, they seem a bit a silly and are probably overused. For example, I think they might be appropriate in some extreme cases.

16. Simple Thoughts

To me it'd ruin the whole thing.

For example:

If I were reading a book that started with "Trigger Warning: This book deals with Rape" and I'm introduced to a character who's reserved, timid, clearly is dealing with some internal struggle, and has issues trusting others than I can pretty much immediately put it together that this character is where the 'rape' aspect is going to be inserted and then the whole book just becomes 'predictable' and bland to me.

If there is anything I hate in a work of art it's when I already know what's going to happen before it happens. It ruins the whole thing. If I can guess the ending than I feel like it wasn't written very well in the first place.

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2015 at 12:34 AM ----------

My understanding is colleges have started using them recently on assigned readings.

17. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I think a little warning is fine. You don't have to say "This book/post/excerpt contains rape", for example, you could mention it has traumatizing elements, if your concern is not to totally prepare people for your content.

Really, I don't see a problem with trigger warnings themselves, only those who go overboard with them. I can understand, again, rape being something that makes you uncomfortable, or perhaps animal cruelty isn't your cup of tea. Sexual material or vulgarity, too, are understandable as well in not liking.

However, if you have a trigger warning that says:

"Calling me out when I insult you", that's pushing it. That special treatment nonsense is what, really, needs to be addressed. The hiding behind cherry-picked conditions and self-diagnosis without making an effort to do anything about it. Now, I do understand, some folks have had events in their lives that, quite frankly, they would rather not be reminded of. But there is a difference in, say, surviving sexual abuse verses getting mad when you aren't referred to as 'sprout' as your pronoun.

Of course, I remember a time when "Trigger Warnings" were called "Not Safe For Work (NSFW)" or "Spoilers". Perhaps I'm getting old...

18. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have no problem with trigger warnings. My problems rest in people who say they won't use them because people who do need them, in their eyes, are a bunch of sensitive little whiners who don't know how to function in the real world. I also don't take kindly to people who use "trigger warnings" as an excuse to be an asshole, such as the Youtuber Onision who uses them to defend his "shock humor"; such as trivializing rape and terrorism because South Park does it.

19. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that you're being unfair to people who suffer trauma. Sometimes people need space. They are also not at a place in their healing process that we can predict. Finally, I'm not sure that I feel comfortable with you telling everyone else how they need to heal.

20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Bryan that the lack of nuance in the poll makes it difficult to offer up a useful answer (or, for that matter, to provide any useful results.)

Trigger warnings have their place. For example, for recent rape survivors or people in the midst of dealing with sexual abuse issues, reading certain things can be very triggering. If there's a completely unexpected trigger for something major, then a trigger warning is reasonable.

At the same time, when we get to a place of coddling people so that they don't take any self-responsibility, that isn't helpful to anyone, at least, not in the long term. People who are likely to be triggered by something have the option to not go to places where they might be triggered, or to work with a therapist to develop strategies to handle the situations when they find themselves triggered. It is not the responsibility of society to look out for any and every possible trigger warning and avoid saying anything that could potentially be upsetting or offensive; on the contrary, that does a huge disservice.

Like many things, there's nuance, there's a reasonable line to draw... and there's a lot of people who try to make it a much bigger deal than it needs to be, or put the onus of responsibility on others instead of taking it on themselves. It's all about common sense... which seems to be in short supply in many places these days.