1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm graduating with with a master's degree today! (well, sorta kinda...)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BobObob, Jun 12, 2015.

1. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like I've failed in many aspects of my life, but now I've actually achieved something that I'm proud of. I can't believe I did it (well, almost) in spite of entering the program after only taking 1 class in the field (not recommended, but in some cases can be done), and having a minor learning disability (relating to auditory perception and indirectly to language processing). It's amazing how much I've learned, yet how little I know about the field in which I'm getting a master's degree in.

I technically haven't achieved it yet. I'm glad I chose not to attend the commencement ceremony (I generally don't care for attending ceremonies), since I still have a lot of studying to do for a final exam I have tomorrow, and because I'm going to have a case of “last minute-itis” for a paper due later that day.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is extremely common, I often think that upon graduation, one gets a degree in ignorance; by that I mean one begins to understand the vast landscape of what you don't know, or simply what is unknown by anyone.

(It's still better than not knowing what you don't know...)

3. tscott

Congratulations.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome! Congratulations! Regardless of your undergraduate preparation, a master's degree represents a lot of work and pretty deep understanding... though, as Greatwhale points out, sometimes it's understanding of our limitations. :slight_smile:

5. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that's it's even more common for my type of degree in “computer science and engineering”, since it's broad field, and because a lot of the skills are developed over time with practice (which is partly why there are some excellent programmers out there without any college education).

I think a lot of the value of the master's is having the documented ability to be a good learner, which I think is crucial in some types of jobs in the ever-changing tech industry. Although I learned a lot, my programming skills still leave something to be desired, I only know a few programming languages, and have only a basic understanding of databases, file systems, and OS's. I do have a decent understanding of networking technologies though. I'm sure I'll gradually fill the gaps over time with practice, like like my older brother had after getting masters in the field in a similar manner (although he did it in 1.5 years at the University of Chicago without any college education in the field, which is insane).

6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha I love that! As I get further in school I realize how little I've just barey scratched the surface of what there is to know. I often can't tell if things are just getting hard/more complex or if I'm getting stupider!

Congrats to OP :grin:

7. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I too felt stupider when studying more complex stuff. Taking graduate level linear algebra without formally studying math since high school was a humbling experience, especially since that shit gets really hard really fast.

Are you familiar with the dunning kruger effect (excellent video on it here)? It basically says that the less cognitively skilled someone is, the more likely he/she is to overrate their cognitive ability often because they lack the ability to assess their ability (and conversely that highly skilled individuals tend to underestimate their skills).

8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oww that looks painful. A year of calculus was enough for me to hate math. ;~;

And that sounds logical!