1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reading your children bedtime stories

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Simple Thoughts, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Simple Thoughts

2. bi2me

It certainly advantages children who are read to, but wouldn't a better strategy be to help and encourage all children to hear books daily? Even for parents who don't feel confident in their own reading abilities, many libraries offer audio books or story hours, etc. free of charge.

3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What's wrong with giving your kids bigger advantages? No one should feel guilty about helping their children succeed in life. Life is always going to be unfair to someone.

4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with this.

5. Simple Thoughts

There is no reason not to give your children advantages in life. As a parent that's basically your duty.

I should note ( since you can't listen to the audio file I think )

that in the audio clip this researcher makes a case for removing children from their parents and offshoring the duty of parenting to the state.

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The article should be - bedtime reading gives children advantage. Encourage more parents to read to their children.

7. Acm

Acm Guest

It would be nice if all children had the same advantages in life, but I don't understand why this article makes it sound like the solution is to stop reading to kids. Instead we should encourage more parents to read to their kids, it's not a bad thing to try to give your kid advantages. Depriving kids of something beneficial just because other kids are less advantaged makes no sense.

8. Simple Thoughts

That was never discussed as an option.

9. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    That's because they're communists :wink:

As ridiculous as this sounds, this is basically the attitude of the public school system: dumb it down for the lowest common denominator.

10. Simple Thoughts

yeah I picked that up when this guy was advocating for having the state raise children in place of parents.

11. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Think more parents should do this. Tbh it might seem crazy but I read my dog bedtime stories on occasion as well as all my pets getting to hear certain holiday stories before easter and xmas...whether pets or people it builds a stronger bond and that's what children need so yes it is an advantage and more parents should take part in spending a few minutes each night reading their kid A story and bonding with them

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, because some children don't have bedtime stories read to them, that means that all children should not have bedtime stories read to them?

I think that we would want to create more opportunities for kids, not restrict opportunities based on the idea of limiting advantages of a more privileged group. Or maybe create a program that encourages parents to read to their children. There are other ways around the problem that are completely overlooked.

As for the second article, there are some children that do need to be in state custody. Volunteering (and for that matter, attending) a poverty level school district with a massive drug problem, I have seen a lot of things and heard a lot of stories. Not all children need to be in state custody though just because some are...

13. bi2me

This reminds me of the short story Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut. It is definitely worth a read if you are interested in how/why people might try to even the playing field.

14. Dans le placard

Odd spin. Some people are disadvantaged so don't give your children a chance? I'm not a fan of purely decadent living, but I wouldn't want to disadvantage my children academically and intellectually just so they don't show themselves up. Wouldn't it be better to promote the benefits of reading to less advantaged people and give inexpensive, if not costless, access to books and literacy materials in deprived areas?

15. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think I'll write a response article claiming that people should avoid reading the article in question as it, ironically enough, leaves you with an intense desire to read children's books to your children, meaning that by reading the article you give your children an unfair advantage over children of parents who don't read the article!

Ok, off to read to my nephews and niece a story! :lol:

#15 Eveline, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  16. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The other side of this story is whether constant exposure to the traditional heteronormative stories and fairytales (the beautiful princess waiting for her studly, err, handsome prince on his white horse bla bla bla) is a good thing or not (as much for those who eventually grow up not fitting that model, as for the majority who can't understand everyone's not the same).

17. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, it is a good thing. The stories expand the horizons of children and help them see beyond their limited view of the world. The more stories told to a child, the more open minded that child will most likely be. It's about connecting with other people and learning to emphasize with their lives. Don't mistakenly believe that the heteronormatic narrative patterns of children stories are in any way hurtful to us. There is no inherent problem with fantasy stories of princesses and white knights, it teaches us of bravery, love and helps us believe that anything is possible.

18. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's okay to a certain extent. Every kid should get to hear such stories, but it's not like it's all they should be hearing. They should have all different kinds of books read to them.

19. Simple Thoughts

^

That

We should expose children to as many stories as possible. Maybe even stories from different cultures as well.

I heard there is a story called "The Spider's thread" by some Japanese author ( I forget the name ) and the premise behind the book sounded interesting. I think it's a novel though, but it might be a fun experience to read something like a novel and convert it to something more bedtime story suited. You might teach yourself a thing or two that way x3