1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for Highschool

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bookreader, Jun 14, 2015.

1. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    I recently graduated from middle school and I was wondering if I can get any input or advice for highschool?

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try not to take it too seriously.

3. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One important thing is to get involved in your school meaning that you join clubs or a sport here and there throughout your high school career. Do the school work regardless of how you may feel about the course or the teacher! Dont jeopardize your future and just get things done in a timely manner. Take it from this girl right here that suffered because of her poor time management skills aka procrastination. Try to miss school only when it's absolutely necessary to miss school. And dont forget to go to your counselor if you ever need help whether it be academic or otherwise they will most likely be able to help you. Best of luck hon I hope I helped!

4. Mitchell

Make friends with your teachers, look to see if school offers GSA... See if there are any clubs you like. I liked yearbook.

Meet your guidance counselor or school psychologist (if applies).

Get your homework done on time.

5. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Barely anyone you meet there is going to remain a part of your life in the long term, so if they're jerks, remember how absolutely meaningless everything they say and think is because it's just a matter of time until you never have to look at them again!~

~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't worry or get stressed about it or anything. It can be a fun experience and open the doors to some viable opportunities to persue in the future. Be sure and reap the benefits of high school while you have the chance, make connections with people, programs, use it to explore your options, and figure out some subjects you enjoy that you'd consider going to college for. Don't feel pressured into doing anything you don't want to though. Try to have fun with it and challenge yourself in different ways~

6. Here's some advice from a person who just went through three out of the four years of high school :slight_smile:

Well first of all, research the map directory of your high school and study it. I didn't do this and for my third period, I ended up on the other side of the school from where my class was.

Also for the first few days or even before school when you've received your class schedule, explore the school and find some routes that would keep you from being tardy without having to speedwalk, or even worse, run.

Trust me, depending on the school, 4-10 minutes to get to your next class won't be enough time if you walk the wrong path. Either the route is longer, too many stairs to climb (bummer if you have PE before a class), or it's too packed with people and it looks like NYC. I actually have eight minutes to get to class, and some routes make getting to class into hell.

Try joining some clubs and eventually become part of its cabinet. It really stands out on your university app. Try club hopping. When your school has a club fair, sign up for all the clubs you seem to find interesting. Go to their first meetings, and drop any club that you don't see yourself in for at least until your junior year.

High school is a crucial time for universities, so keep your grades high. Even if your freshman year isn't so good, try your best in improving in your sophomore and junior years. Universities do like it if you try to maintain a 4.0 GPA throughout high school, but what really stands out is if you started average, but the gpa steadily or sharply improved. From personal experience, I started with a 3.0 in freshman year, but it went up to a 3.6 by the end of my junior year.

Don't overextend yourself by excessively doing community service, dating, and club managing. Academics comes first. I've seen this in some of my classmates during freshman year, and their GPAs ending up crashing to 2.0. Extracurriculars are meant to be extras to your strong GPA. If it's weak, then your "well-rounded ness" wouldn't be highly regarded.

Try to get more acquainted with the upperclassmen. I don't know about your school, but the upperclassmen for me (2012, because I've been part of the upperclassmen since 2014 :lol: ) during freshmen year were super nice. The upperclassmen would help you get adjusted to high school life and also fill in on some tips on how to stand out in front of universities.

Lastly, high school isn't going to last forever. Make the most of it. Have a stunning GPA, become well-rounded, and make good friends. Three years of HS went by in a flash as I still vividly remember my first day of high school. If there are jerks, forget about them

HAVE FUN! :grin:

#6 anthonythegamer, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2015
  7. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kiss ass. Seriously. Go out of your way to meet your principal and VP, and any other staff members that might be useful to know. Be pleasant, and leave a good first impression. I've gotten quite a few detentions excused due to the VP thinking I'm sweet. :badgrin:

For the love of god, respect your teachers. Laugh at their jokes, even if they aren't funny, compliment them, and just stay on their good sides. Teachers can help you out a lot if they want to see you succeed.

As for the students.. a lot of people aren't going to like you. That's the way these things go. There will probably be a lot of people who you don't like as well. Don't take any of that personally, and try not to get sucked into the drama.

Other than that, just know that it's only four years, and you won't remember any of it thirty years from now.