1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinion on drag. do you like it?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Burnedcloset, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Burnedcloset

Have you done drag? Would you try drag? Who is your favorite queen/king?

I guess I can say I really enjoy it. Never seen a queen IRL but, I've seen RPDR season 4-6 and think it's very interesting.

I don't think I would try it. My favorite queen right now is Alaska.

#1 Burnedcloset, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  2. AlamoCity

No.

No*.

Don't have one.

* If they said that if I were to do drag and cancer would be cured, sure.

3. Cider

I've never done drag.
    I probably will never do drag, I would if they would give me like a helicopter or something
    I don't have a favorite drag queen or king

To be honest, I don't even fully understand what drag is, but that doesn't mean I support them any less.

4. PurpleDude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    one year for halloween I was fully prepared to dress as a bride, if my girlfriend dressed as a groom in a tux. the whole thing was my idea but she said absolutely not and I pretty much forgot about it for quite some time. we weren't together anymore that next halloween, so I guess it doesn't matter. beyond that, whatever people choose to wear is up to them, as long as they're comfortable being seen in it, why not. :icon_bigg

5. Jonathan

I don't do drag myself, but I think drag queens (and kings) can be pretty awesome. My favorite drag queen would have to be Bianca Del Rio (in my signature she's dressed as Dora the Explorer :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ).

6. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Fashion isnt my thing

7. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel the same.

Speechless. :eusa_doh:

8. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to say that I don't get it...have never gotten it.

It seems to me that if a person is actually trans, and needs to present as a woman, there are many healthier ways to express that need.

But it also seems like many/most people who are into drag don't actually identify as trans in any way. If you are straight or gay and doing drag then *to me* (and I know I'm limited here) it seems like you are engaged in burlesquing women...having a night of fun "enjoying the trappings of being a woman" without having to endure any of the actual realities of being a woman. And that smacks heavily of disrespect...kinda like wearing blackface and "shuckin' the jive" in old Minstrel shows.

So yeah...I don't get it.

9. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

I know more drag queens then drag kings. I never thought that there was any well know famous drag kings tbh. but any ways the ones I know are repaul,Gigi,williams.

well.I don't think of myself as a drag king I'm a king.

10. Justinian20

I am into fashion yes but i'm not particularly a drag fan. I wouldn't mind doing it for entertainment purposes as I can see the appeal behind drag. But I wouldn't do it super regularily as I am more comfortable just showing the world my body with my face

11. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't done drag, but I've definitely thought of it. But the way I'd do it would be more of an inverse way, having a female persona and a male persona. Kind of bringing out the two extremes of me.

My favorite queens (Don't really know very many kings) are Panti Bliss, RuPaul, and Divine. I follow Panti's posts for a couple of reasons, the most current one being the issue of gay marriage in Northern Ireland, where my boyfriend lives. So I tend to get some news about that through Panti's stuff.

12. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This guy I am seeing really likes Ru Paul's Drag Race so I have seen some clips from it and they were usually pretty funny. I haven't seen an actual drag show, so I don't know. I don't think I personally would ever do drag.

13. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mom used to love drag (queen) shows but they don't really do much for me. I mean I support people doing it and I hope they enjoy the hell out of it but I don't particularly feel like going to see them.

I'm kind of curious about drag kings I have to admit, but I haven't really looked them up so I guess I'm not that curious. I'd dress up as a guy just for kicks but I think it would be pretty hard to hide my chest so I don't think I'd make a good drag king. (On the other hand when I was younger and my hair was short I was sometimes mistaken for a boy.)

14. Rainbows~Exist

Hell yeah I would try it!!!

It looks soooo awesome and fun to do and right now Drag Culture is my current obsession!
    My favorite Drag Queen has to be Willam Belli. She's hilarious.

15. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wrong. There are plenty of trans men and women who do drag, and it isn't uncommon for some people to use drag as a "stepping stone" towards transition. It was one of the few safe spaces transgenders could be themselves, for a long time.

I don't see it as disrespecting women, at all (plus there are many female performers, ie faux queens, and fans). Some find it empowering, some find it artistic. I doubt your average queen is out there to mock women. Do you have the same gripes with faux kings?

Anyway, yeah. I like them. As mentioned before, I was blown away during my first show, and ended up making plenty of friends involved in that community. Not sure if Jeffree Star counts, but I love some of his expressions.

Performing? Not anytime soon! Unless you count singing in the living room when no one else is around. :lol:

16. Night Rain

Sorry, it's just not my thing. In fact, it turns me off...

17. Formality

I've never done drag but I wouldn't mind trying it for fun. I think drag queens are very funny, my favourite would have to be blanca del rio, though I'm not very familiar with many. She is hilarious tho.

18. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

I actually went to a club once where a drag queen shouted into the microphone, and she said, "This is *quickly makes up name* Cher's birthday, but it's not actually the day that Cher herself was born. To be accurate, it's the birthday of her pussy."

*snickers* It was late at night, by then, and people were drunk or stoned enough they didn't care.

Okay, so my view is that, if you see drag queens, people are having fun. That's pretty much the only thing that really matters to me, when you get right down to it. I'm very trans-friendly, but some drag queens just ain't my style. They do still tend--even when they look tacky--to create an atmosphere of disinhibition that nothing really compares to. In fact, sometimes the tackiness itself just gives that air that the rule-book has gone out the window. People open up, and they start to dance.

19. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I beg your pardon? I stated that I don't get it, and told you how it seems to me. That can only be wrong if I do in fact get it or if it seems to me other than I stated. I was trying to be careful to make it clear that this is all *my* perception...and that I recognize I don't understand. I would welcome an explanation that would help me understand better. You have not provided that.

The fact that transmen do it and that some transpeople use it as a stepping stone to transition does not counter my impressions at all. I get transpeople's need to present as the other sex. All I said is that is that it seems to me that there are healthier ways to address that need than drag.

I agree that most drag performers are not "out there to mock" women. That doesn't mean that they don't. (I am *quite* sure that many/most Minstrel show performers, at least in the North, would have said and felt that they have a great deal of respect for black people as well...certainly many didn't feel they were "out there to mock black people...it was just about having fun and entertaining people...sound familiar?) I'm quite aware that some women participate. I have a female friend who is nuts for it. I don't get her interest either, except for the technical aspects of stage make-up, which is something she studies.

And I know nothing about drag king, but showing disrespect toward a privileged group vs. showing disrespect toward a less privileged group isn't really apples to apples, anyway. How exactly *would* one make a mockery of a man? Do drag kings do that?

Look, I wouldn't describe my feelings about drag as a "gripe". It is more like perplexity. I respect that many people enjoy it, and I'm not telling anyone to stop. I'm merely noting how it strikes me...because I was asked my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, then say something to help me change it.

20. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Actually, women ALSO like to camp up the glamor, and they ALSO do it for humor and fun.

It's just that, when guys do it, it's so much more fun because it's so outrageous, you just feel your inhibitions go right out the window.

But I don't see how it's any worse for a guy to go crazy with eye-shadow and glitter than for a woman to crazy with eye-shadow and glitter. The reasoning is similar. It's just so outrageously tacky, you can't really feel all that serious.