1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on Pride?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DreamerBoy17, Jun 15, 2015.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So as we all know, June is LGBT pride month! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:
    What I'm asking about is your opinions on gay pride parades/festivals/culture in general.
    I didn't go to my own city's parade which was yesterday, even though my mom probably would've taken me if I asked. I generally dislike the stereotypes events like these perpetuate seeing as I'm not really stereotypical at all. Of course, I'm not saying pride isn't important because of I do think we should celebrate being ourselves. I am just saying it personally isn't for me (okay maybe if I got a girlfriend I would consider going for a cute date), but especially with parents involved I feel like I would be trying frantically explain the whole time that I'm not *that* type of gay. Parents are awkward in general. To each their own, I guess.
    On a side note: I do love the rainbow thing though. It's just so symbolic of inclusion and equality. :icon_bigg

2. RedHeadHatter

OK, I don't know if what I am going to say is valid for all countries, but gay pride parades in mine have turned into political events. Whenever it happens what comes with it is the clash of two opposite ideals. The best example of that was the case in the last gay pride parade here, of a trans women who dressed up as jesus and reacted his death. I mean, in my point of view, she was trying to convey a message of how trans people die really early in life and that it requires that much deaths to get the attention of the media. However, independently of what her intentions were, the case created a caos on social networking and on the political scene.
    I guess thats one example of why Gay pride parade represents another political event.

3. Gandee

Gandee Guest

I like them. I like to look at those hunky muscular men featuring in those events. I look at them and forget about everything else <3. I don't care about the symbolism. I'm shallow like that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.
    Thinking about it, I like any kind of parade. The louder, the more colorful, the more I like it. Hm, sexy drummers.

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I enjoy Pride :slight_smile: I've only been to a parade once, and I had a really great time.

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I absolutely love and enjoy every day of Pride Month. :slight_smile: I'm hoping to go to STL Pride at the end of the month!

6. wewillbeokay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love Pride personally. I don't really see it as a stereotype fest? I could understand how people could, but Pride, for me, is about the aura. It's just about being in a street full of people who accept you :slight_smile: And don't get me wrong, I know that's not always the case. There are protesters, and people in our own community who think that certain sexualities are more valid than others. However, I try to look past that. Pride just makes me feel good :thumbsup: It makes me feel like it's real. Because I don't always feel like I'm a part of something just because I'm gay. I often feel very lonely.Even though I know there are others out there, it's very easy to feel alone when you're the only gay person in your school. (&&&)

7. Lipstick Leuger

I go and take the wife and kids every single year. Sometimes, the Grands also. My kids love it when they can have the Grandparents come to Pride. It is their culture and life and they love to share it. I even got a picture of my 70 year old mother with the Drag Queens. She wanted it blown up and put on her wall! LOL

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love and hate the month of June.

I love the month of June because it's running season, and it's also pride season. It's the time when I get to go to some wonderful city in Montana and be in the presence of my gay and bisexual friends, and I can be my queer self and feel a lot of supportive energy around me.

I hate the month of June because we rehash the same tired arguments against pride parades. While I certainly acknowledge that some participants engage in appropriate behaviors (particularly in dress, or lack thereof), it's important to realize that these people don't represent all Pride parades. This will be my second year at pride just this weekend. We have not to my knowledge ever had a problem with inappropriate dress.