1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Info/Experiences with religious conversion therapy camp

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DreamerBoy17, Jun 16, 2015.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I have heard a lot of different things on these types of places, and I'd like an accurate picture about what gay conversion camps are like. See, I'm starting a story about a lesbian girl who eventually gets sent to one and I'd like my story to be as factual as possible. I've researched the type of thing online, but like I said, I've seen different things and I thought there would be no better place to ask than EC! Even if this was one of my worst nightmares about coming out
    Also add your experiences with them!

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have any personal experience of conversion therapy, but if you are seeking more information I would recommend a documentary made for UK television by gay GP, Dr Christian Jessen. It was called Undercover Doctor: Cure me, I'm Gay! It was made for Channel Four and may be available to watch online. If you Google the programme title it should come up.

Here's a newspaper article about it: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-gay-cures-in-new-channel-4-show-9082429.html

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have any personal experience, but this documentary by VICE about conversion therapy was very informative and shows how the camps are like. Possible trigger warning for disturbing images, depending on how much stuff like this gets to you.

[YOUTUBE]wD4sWQG2DnQ[/YOUTUBE]

4. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Holy shit are those real? How are those allowed to exist?
    Man I pity the poor kids who have to go through that. It's like beating someone into the ground emotionally. That must cause some serious mental health issues in gay guys.

5. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Yeah, they're real. A lot of gay guys meet their first partners at those places. Those are the more emotionally resilient ones. Probably, a good guy like you would remember it as a sort of crazy person's version of summer camp.

The ones who are actually in need of some kind of authentic help and have emotional issues not related to being gay? The ones who might have actually killed themselves WITHOUT any extra abuse or weirdness to push them over the edge? Yeah. It's bad.