1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To the asexuals

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pret Allez, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, you aces out there!

I was at Pride togay, having a fun time with my friends! ^_^ I was of course walking with Planned Parenthood (who else?), and I happened to scan the crowd and find a couple of aces. I was happy they joined us.

I was also quite sure that the vast majority of the people in the parade and on the side of the road waving have no idea what asexuality is, or what the purple and gray colors were for, but I know. :3

I was glad to see them out there, because it reminded me of the fact that I need to consider what it's like to be who I am and what it's like to be who they are. Most of us are sexuals. And of course, we do battle with the oppressive heterosexuals who just hate our sexuality. But I'm not sure the asexuals feel like we really understand. I wonder if the asexuals feel just as alone, if not way more alone than we do, those of us who are gay, bisexual or pansexual. I already know what it's like to feel tired because I'm being questioned by most of the society. I can only imagine what it's like to be questioned by almost all of the society. :frowning2: Asexuals suffer violence and discrimination too.

We care for you too, and I hope you feel welcome here and offline in your LGBT communities, as the two pocket aces seemed to feel at Big Sky Pride today.

(&&&)

2. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Yes, they do. Many people are not abused for being gay, but they are abused for not joining in on the compulsory culture of misogynistic heteronormativity. It's one of many reasons that I question the very authenticity of attributing homophobia, under any circumstances, to religious proscription. Abuse against asexuals proves that people are not cruel to gays because of their beliefs, but they are cruel to gays entirely because they are jerks.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Did you just invoke Adrienne Rich, here? I kind of love you. :kiss:

4. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What is a pocket ace? Explain the pocket part.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's an affectionate term. There were two asexuals walking together, and asexuals sometimes call themselves aces. Two, hence pocket aces. :3

6. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you, Pret. It's nice to see some asexual recognition.

I consider myself asexual because I don't experience sexual attraction or desire. I do, however, find myself romantically and emotionally attracted to males, so I call myself "gay" out of convenience. I also put "demi" with a question mark near my sexuality on this site because I've never been with a guy, and it might be possible that I would feel sexual attraction if I was with the right guy. But for now, I consider myself asexual on a technical level.

And yeah, it's not easy for other people to understand and it's often overlooked. So it's good to see that there is at least some recognition of it.

7. Jonathan

As someone who considers myself somewhere on the asexual spectrum, I think it's incredibly nice that there was a visible asexual group there marching. It's great to see different parts of the community come together :slight_smile:

8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'm not ace, but I love the recognition and support! We need to love more aces out there since so many of them face invalidation and even violence (especially corrective rape). Yay for ace positivity!

9. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I also consider myself somewhere on the 'asexual spectrum'.

There were some members of a couple asexual sites that did a meet up at the Denver PrideFest today...unfortunately it was earlier in the day & I didn't make it to PrideFest until later on.

10. BelleFromHell

I'm glad that asexuals are getting more noticed in our community. Years ago, back when I suspected I was asexual, NOBODY knew what it meant. Now, almost everyone on this site has at least heard of it.

They're being noticed more and more everyday, and it makes me happy. :grin:

11. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not ace, but it's great to see that an ace group was there. Also, yay for Planned Parenthood!

12. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There was an asexual flag at the LGBT job fair I went to in March(our first ever here). I didn't know the colors. I just remembered that.