1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hijabs on girls

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonythegamer, Jun 20, 2015.

1. How do you guys feel about them? (let's not get so political in this thread)

I honestly think that they make girls look super pretty. Although they cover their hair, their veil would serve as their hair. You can't get that with hair dye!

There's just something about it which makes girls look so fashionable. I'm just taking in my own experiences when I see the very few females that are veiled, usually when I go to Citadel Outlets (It's a very touristy outlet mall in Los Angeles which attracts a lot of people. They even have signs in Chinese, Spanish, and Arabic).

In case if you have no clue what wearing a hijab looks like...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I agree. Some look absolutely gorgeous in them.

3. RainDreamer

Different strokes for different folks. I enjoy seeing free flowing hair that flutter in the wind more.

4. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Some girls really do suit the look.. I usually see muslim women wearing them though..

I am pretty sure in the movie I can't think straight Tala wears one at one point.. I may be wrong though! She looked cute in it if I remember correctly though!

Dammit I just googled.. I don't think she wears one in the movie but she would definitely suit the Hijab look! She's cute! ♥

#4 ChloeKiss, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  5. LOL I know hijabis are 99% Muslim women. I didn't think I needed to specify that. However, wearing a hat with your hair stuffed inside it or wearing a hoodie simulates wearing a hijab.

6. BelleFromHell

I think they can look really cute, to be honest. :slight_smile:

7. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah. If you don't belong to a culture where you wear hijabs, it would count as cultural appropriation to use one, I'd say.

8. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not a fan of the look.

EDIT:

Before the Political Correctness Squad has a chance to jump on me...I support Muslims' right to use and wear it. But, I'm Jewish, so I see no use for it in my culture.

9. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not exactly sure of how practical use it is as a head garment, but it does look good on some people. :slight_smile:

10. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love seeing women in hijab around my college campus as they have a simple beauty about them. As I gay man I love to see a woman in any sort of (for lack of a better term) ethnic clothing, I see it as her having pride in her heritage. I hate that our boring everyday fashion here in the US and over in Europe is whitewashing the rest of the world. That being said, I also hope that it is her choice to wear it, I don't like when I see a girl in a hijab being bossed around by some guy leading her around like a pet dog.

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually do find them really pretty usually!

12. Gentlewoman

Out Status:
    A few people
    HTML:

I don't see how so. It isn't too sacred a garmet, or something that has to be earned. It isn't something purely ceremonial, either. It's everyday wear, and borrowing everyday wear because you like it isn't really appropriation, it's normal cultural exchange, like when Chinese people wear blue jeans.

---------- Post added 21st Jun 2015 at 12:52 AM ----------

In a desert it is very practical. Good for heat dissipation.

13. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hijabs are not specifically named in the Koran. So, it in itself is not an exclusively muslim garment. I believe the Koran just states that a head covering is recquired.

14. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, thank you for clarifying. I figured its use was to keep a person's head cool while they wore it, but wasn't entirely sure. :slight_smile:

15. Acm

Acm Guest

I think they look nice :slight_smile:

16. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A white person, who doesn't come from a culture the hijab is worn in, who sometimes wears the hijab as an accessory would never understand the full meaning of it. Using something that is a part of another culture as a fashion statement, if you belong to the dominant group, would be called cultural appropriation, wouldn't it?

It all depends on if the two cultures are on the same footing. If they are, then using something from the other culture would count as exchange. If someone belongs to the dominant group and uses something from the minority group, it would be appropriation. If someone belongs to the minority group and uses something from the dominant group, it would be assimilation.

I'm no expert on the subject though. I know that I would feel like I was appropriating the hijab, as a white western person, if I were to wear it.

17. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Arfff

as a former moslem, i have to say that some girls/woman can pull a stunning look while using hijab.

but personally i'm not a big fan of it, but i'm not against it at all. A lot of girl i know who did not use hijab back then have drastic personality changes after using them. They exclude themselves and act like they're a lot better than other girl who don't use it.

I know not everyone have that some sort of 'attitude' shifts but still they're a lot more visible than those who use hijab for the true spiritual/religious purposes.

18. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't mind. They add a bit of variety to crowds, and like someone else said, it's always pleasing to see ethnic minorities express their heritage.

Though now I wonder if the different colors signify anything, and if some are encouraged or discouraged?

19. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

I think a western lady with a big hat and a scarf is kind of cute, too.

20. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]
    I will never understand why it's so offensive to some people if one group wishes to imitate or borrow parts of one culture simply because they appreciate those aspects. Just because you're the "dominant" group, that means you cannot appreciate other cultures and their clothing? Just because you're the dominant group means you can't understand the "full meaning" and respectfully imitate another culture or borrow parts of their fashion? What if you're white and wish to convert to Islam? It's such a narrow-minded generalization that I cannot believe people actually believe this. The fact that people have to feel uncomfortable or "walk on egg shells" to explore other cultures is definitely not going to help reach mutual understanding and respect.

Give me a break. It's so freaking hypocritical to have different standards for different groups. :tantrum:

---------- Post added 21st Jun 2015 at 06:15 AM ----------

My muslim friend used to wear all sorts of different colors I don't think they had any particular meaning to her other than she liked the colors and they matched her outfit.