1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humans.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Yosia, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Yosia

Personally, I think humans are a horrible species. We are very selfish, horrible things in general and have basically ruined the world for any other species over the years.

I think all humans (including myself) have played a part in ruining what could have been a very beautiful world. I mean, what a lot of people call beautiful is nature and all that, yet we continue to erase that nature?

Deep thread I know, but what are your guys views on humans?

2. Dextoid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think humans have their moments. Yes, we've made the world less beautiful. But as far as I can tell, we're also the only species that has an understanding and appreciation of the concept "beautiful". We're a complex bunch. Your compassion for other species and wish for the world to right itself is very much a product of your humanity, too. :slight_smile:

We're so, so far from perfect. But I still like us.

3. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    But humans are cute :grin: Well, some are.

Humans are awesome; what other species has language, art, innovation, and philosophy?

I just wish humans didn't use their intelligence for destructive purposes: why the warring, the weapon-developing, the razing of the forests, the factory farming...there are ways of living on this earth without destroying it, but unfortunately most people are short-sighted and most of us just accepting "things the way they are" and don't really attempt to make anything different or better.

4. Fred89

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have thought that before. We are amazing in other ways too. There are just as many if not more good people for every bad one.

5. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

I think that humans have the degree of civilization they have mostly because of dogs.

Dogs and Humans Co-Evolving

Frankly, I'm on the side of saying that I love the human race, but we are flawed. I would not criticize the human race, though, if I did not love the human race.

If I were entirely and authentically a cynic, I would throw up my hands and say, "Oh, things are never going to change. Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow, we die." I would go out boozing and living it up, not caring about a damn thing, simpy because I didn't have enough love left in my heart to care about the human race's self-destruction.

I do see that glimmer of worth, just in little things. Thoughtful, little details that people try to add to their homes, their love for their animals, their love for each other, their love of creating things with their hands, and all of the different ways that humans try to show their yearning and desire to create and to say, someone was here who had a soul, are beautiful things.

If you really want to demonstrate true contempt for the human race, then stop criticizing the human race, which is something that I'm not going to do. I am going to keep fighting to instill, in my fellow man, that we are capable of better. I look at a world filled with poverty, crime, oppression and war, and I think, "We are better than this," because I truly believe that we are. If I didn't care, I wouldn't say anything.

6. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  7. Simple Thoughts

Well since we're currently responsible for that whole Extinction event thing going on right now I'm with the OP

Humans are terrible.

We're very much a selfish group of beings who destroy everything and take whatever we want without any regard for anything beyond ourselves.

Heck we even kill slaughter and still from each other.

This world is probably going to be destroyed by us. We've known for decades about global warming and even now nobody wants to do anything about it.

8. Dextoid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    But, I mean, what are you even comparing us to? We're so unlike any other known species that we don't really have a reference point for suckitude. All other species on this planet are certainly not considering the welfare of other species when they do what they need to survive. We're actually the only ones that sometimes do consider that and rail against those who don't.

Your idealism is admirable, and very human. You clearly want us to be better than we are, and that's something I can agree with. I'm confident we'll get there, even if things seem a little slow sometimes.

9. Simple Thoughts

I'm not that confident we'll pull through.

We've already caused some serious damage and I doubt we'll get our act together in time to fix any of it.

10. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We aren't really humans. I think that's just a term to describe the vessels/ bodies we're in. We're all just spirits trying to cope with being human.
    Some "humans" are good while other "humans" are bad.. I think we're all neutral :slight_smile:

11. Dextoid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A fair position. I think we've proven our resilience in the past. But you might be right. There certainly seems to be a self-destructive bent in our mix along with everything else. I guess we'll find out when we find out. I still don't think it makes us the worst ever, though. :wink:

12. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I heart this comment(!)(!)(!)

13. Simple Thoughts

We're the worst thing on earth for sure.

Maybe there are some really terrible alien overlords or something in a distant galaxy though.

14. Dextoid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know. I've never really liked celery much. I mean, what is that all about?

15. Simple Thoughts

lol X3

16. The Wallflower

I do believe that humans kinda don't deserve what they have (myself included, of course) but when I see Youtubers like FouseyTube do good things, it gives me hope. Not all humans are bad.

17. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Christiaan said it best.

Or perhaps Gandalf (the Grey) was even closer. "Despair is only for those who have seen the end". We have not.

The only thing that could set our doom in stone is to curse ourselves and stop trying.

Like everything, humanity is a coin, special in a sense, capable of both good and evil. It's kind of a big coin, and heavy, but if we could flip it over ont the right side, we would be able to look at a brighter day.

18. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't think very highly of most of human cultures for creating stuff like hierarchies, contracts, laws, and pretending that a piece of earth has an owner. I just don't understand such concepts on an intellectual level.

However, the human can belong to cultures that live in touch with nature, like the native americans, you know, those folks some westerners call 'savages'.

The core of the human being, without all the negative influence of a deranged culture, is way more nice than you think. I have seen great proofs of solidarity and kindness among human beings, and I have had the pleasure to meet quite a few ones that were definitely worth it.

Now, if you ask me... Would you completly trust a human being? My answer was, is and (most probably) will be negative.

19. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have mixed feelings about humans. It can depend on my mood. At least humans are pretty damn interesting. The greed, the hypocrisy, the violence... yeah, it can be draining. Humanity would benefit from paying more attention to the past. A lot of mistakes are being repeated and some "new" discoveries which are just slightly altered discoveries from the past.

People are more complex than bad or good. With that said, I think everyone has a dark side. I think humans have either no free-will or limited free-will. It's a bit easier to accept things when you realise some people give in to their dark side because they're too weak and/or various environmental factors. As you know, many people think they're doing the "right" thing because they've been brainwashed. I'm reading a book that says I need to learn to forgive people for their ignorance. I dunno how I feel about that yet.

My mood improved because I don't read the news so much anymore. There are a lot of fun things in life, and I guess that's how I deal with my existential crisis.

20. Sarii

People are unlike any other animals on earth. We are able to be kind to not only each other but to other species that don't even benefit us. However, we also have the tendency to get caught in our own creations and become bitter. It's more a question of "do you believe in the good people who have not yet turned bitter?" rather than "do you believe in everyone?"