1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mind the (Age) Gap: How Old Is Too Old in a Relationship?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Starwind78, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have an affinity for drooling over men and women much older than me - 10 years and up.

Ironically, I'm not somebody who says age is just a number. I think there can be insurmountable challenges that come with age gaps in relationships, especially when the older partner was in a position of authority over the other at some point. Even when that's not the case, I would be concerned about being pushed around by someone older, but the heart wants what the heart wants.

What do you all think about age gaps? Anybody from a relationship with a large age gap want to chime in? Is there a discrepancy between what would be personally acceptable to you and what you tolerate in others? (e.g. you wouldn't date someone 10 years older than you, but don't judge others who do)

2. Sarii

None of my business who you decide to date, but personally I'd rather date someone a few years around my age.

3. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not sure a simple mathematical "gap" is the best way to measure this. For example, beyond the legalities involved, there's a big difference between 15-25, 18-28, 35-45, 60-70 using your example.

I recently read "divide by 2 and add 7" as a quick reference, although googling the article again reveals it's about "being socially acceptable" more than chances of compatibility.

4. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Obviously not, and I too have heard of that calculation, but a simple age gap is a starting point.

I wanted to add a poll, but took too long, and now EC won't let me post it.

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    At the moment, I don't think I could be with someone more than 1 year younger than me, but I think I could go 5 or maybe even 8, 9 or 10 years older.

6. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same here, except with the older range going up to around 20 if push comes to shove.

It also differs between the sexes for me too. I don't think I could ever date a guy my age and most definitely not younger. With other girls though, I could probably 1-2 years younger.

7. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My upper limit is 24 and my lower limit is 16. That seems to be my broad age group. Yeah I've met 30 year olds who I found attractive but I wouldn't pursue a relationship with them - there'd be a big berth in life experiences and I'm still studying. Plus when I'm 30 they'd be middle aged.

I'm more flexible when it comes to sexual partners.

#7 imnotreallysure, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  8. Cider

People around my age. :slight_smile:

I don't think I would date anyone 20 or up, and even 18 is a stretch for me, but probably because I'm young :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Age is just a number.

10. Simple Thoughts

I think that age is a very important factor to be considered

1.) If there is a significant age gap you'd both have grown up in different eras. Maybe you were a 90's kid and they're 80's kids. It doesn't seem like much, but they grew up with a different social standard, different media, different forms of entertainment, different events happening in the world. A whole slew of things that'd effect your ability to affectively understand and communicate with one another. It'd create a bit of a barrier

2.) Aging. Personally I'd prefer that if I planned to spend the rest of my life with someone we'd be going out somewhere close to the same time ( I know you can't really plan this ) but the thought of falling for someone and being ready to spend the rest of your life with em only to have them kick the bucket of old age a good decade before you leaving you all alone for 10 years sounds terrible. Absolutely terrible. I'd consider this one a personal one and less of a "For anyone" argument.

I'm sure there are more reasons, but I'm brain dead at the moment.

11. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've always said that I could never date someone who was more than 3-5 years older than me but I have this huge crush on a girl at work and she's 8 years older but acts a lot younger. Not that early 30's is old, mind you. If she wasn't straight and married I would absolutely date her. So I'm learning to be more lenient. 10 years is too much for me though. As for younger, maybe 3 years.

12. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is an excellent point and I think this problem is often underestimated. I would be concerned mainly with a clash of values. In addition to the obvious, politics, there are customs and standards of morality in day-to-day life that have changed a lot in our culture over the years.

That said, I personally don't think this would be as much as a concern for me, at least with folks in their thirties. Not because I'm an open-minded special snowflake either, mind you, but because I've had to navigate age gaps for much of my life as a child to older parents. I actually tend to feel more comfortable with people in their thirties than people my age.

I typically find that people in their thirties are more grounded, more deliberate with their life choices, and simply less selfish. They are still young enough, however, to be open to new ideas and be ambitious in their careers. To me, it's the perfect blend of experience and youth.

13. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have a strange attraction for women who are about 3 times older than I am. This has been happening since last year and it's just...weird. Although I much prefer a younger women, lol.
    Also, I'd like to mention that there's a pretty big gap between my parents (about 20 years age difference). My mom is in her late 40s and my dad in his early 70s. It sucks that my dad is that old because I don't know how much time he has left and he can't do many activities with the rest of the family so he's left out. There's also times where I wish he were younger so that way I wouldn't have to worry about him dying any second now.

14. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This completely depends on the age group.

Say for instance a 10-year gap... There's nothing mentally or emotionally healthy about a 28 year old dating an 18 year old. Each person is in completely different stages in their life. I can never understand what the hell people in their late 20s finding appealing about high school fresh-bait. On the other end of the spectrum, a 30 year old dating a 40 year old isn't really a big deal. Love is love, lust is lust, people are going to do what they want in the end. I don't even bother making an input on it anymore.

Me personally, I'm 23. I won't date someone younger than 21 for the simple fact that if you can't legally sit at a bar and order a drink, I don't think we have any business being together. Considering the fact that I drink on a damn near daily basis. Everyone also seems to change once they turn 21 and are able to go out to bars... It's like a whole new world. I've never dated anyone older than me, honestly. I don't know what the maximum age that I'm willing to date is. If I had to take a guess, probably 30. That seems high though.... 28-30?

Editor's Note: If some 20 year old broad climbs in my bed, I'm not afraid to fuck her feelings.

15. ewitstristan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldn't go anywhere 3 years outside of my age. At the age of 13, though, I'd say I wouldn't want to be dating already.

16. BelleFromHell

For me, anything over 10 years would be too much, even if I was over 50. I'd prefer an 0-5 year age gap, and I tend to attracted to women in their early 20's.

I don't care about the age gaps in the sexual/romantic relationships of others, as long as they aren't downright creepy.

17. sugarcubeigloo

Meh. If were just talking about adults who are able to consent to a relationship. Who cares? Some people find soulmates in all kinds. For all I care the parties could be 18 and 81 (in the US); good for them as long as they're happy.

I hit a hangup when it comes to minors in relationships. There isn't that much wiggle room in terms of minors dating other minors (maybe a year). I'm hard-pressed find any situation where a minor and an adult should enter a relationship.

Personally, I wouldn't go any lower than a year or two and no more than 10 years older.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I like my cougars.

19. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sorry to hear about your dad. My dad is 65, my mom 60, and while she's still going relatively strong, he's slowed down a lot over the past five years. I can't imagine what it will be like when he's in his 70s, even though that will be reality in five short years.

20. Van

Van

If you like the person and you feel good with them (and both are consenting adults), I don't see where the problem is. Even if they're 15-20 years older/younger. :rolle: I mean, I'd date someone in their 40's. However, I think 45 would be the limit. :slight_smile: