1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a good idea???

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 500miles, Jun 21, 2015.

1. 500miles

500miles Guest

Ok, so I think I'm ready to come out for the first time to my best friend. I want to have plenty of time to talk about it, so I was thinking I could do it while we were on a walk or spending the night. I hate burdening her with this, but I need to tell someone!!
    My main concerns with sharing this information are whether or not she will be able to keep the secret and if she will ever be able to feel comfortable around me... To see me and not the label if that makes sense (neither of us know any other openly gay men or women, I don't want her to be afraid that I will fall in love with her automatically because of my sexuality). Also, her mom and my mom are very close friends, so if she tells her mom then mine is likely to find out soon after. I really don't want my parents to know, at least until I'm out of the house in 2 years. They are very religious and I would prefer to feel normal and not be in therapy for the rest of my stay under their roof.
    So I guess what I am wondering is whether or not coming out to her is a good idea. I have felt horribly lonely for a long time, so maybe its selfish to make her carry this with me, or maybe it will make me feel better and improve our friendship? Either way, I need to trust that she won't tell anyone or see me as a different person. Should I go for it? What's the best way for me to do this??

2. cassy4

cassy4 Guest

Hi,
    First off im very sorry that you feel lonely, i can sooo understand that. I have thought i was lesbian since i was little, but now I am having doubts. My mom was the first one who i talked to about my sexuality. I havent exactly come out yet because i am still not exactly sure what I am. I think that there is no harm in telling your best friend. If she is kind and accepting then that is great, but if she isn't Im not so sure she is the best friend. I think a best friend will love you no matter if you are gay/strait/or bi. But, dont do it if your not ready. Good Luck!! I am here to talk if you ever need someone :slight_smile:
    -Cass