1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is transgender the new 'stud' lesbian?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DrinkBudweiser, Jun 22, 2015.

1. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, I'm a stud lesbian. People tell me on a regular basis that I act more like a guy than most of the men I know. I fit a large amount of male stereotypes, I'm pretty much considered as one of the bro's to every guy I know. With that being said, I have absolutely 0 desire to identify as transgender, I love being a female. I just enjoy masculine* things way more than I enjoy feminine* activities.
    * denotes traditional society's definitions of what's masculine and what's feminine.

I live right outside of Dayton, Ohio. Which is one of the queerest cities in America (rated the #1 queer city in America in 2015) It's the home of Have a Gay Day and of course, Club Masque. One of the largest and best gay clubs in the world. So, you can only imagine how many different members of the LGBT community I know.

Five, four, three, two years ago (all of the above) I had plenty of stud lesbian friends. I could count on one hand how many transgender FtM people I know. Recently, as in the last year, every stud that I know is coming out as transgender. It seems as if all the friends I always referred to as "she" I am now referring to as "he." I (clearly) don't have an issue with transgenders. I'm close to and know plenty who have dealt with the struggle for many years. But, I can't help but to become a little agitated with the fact that studs, all at once, identify as transgender. Is it no longer good enough to just be a masculine female? Is it a necessity for all studs to claim they are transgender? I'm well aware of the fact that some people change their minds later in life, or whatever the case may be. But I'm literally talking about 98% of the studs I know coming out as transgender in the past year, age ranges of 18-30.

It almost seems as if this is the "popular" thing to do, rather than someone simply just being who they are. Most of these FtM transgenders also just prefer the male pronoun and men's clothes. Rather than saving money for and/or looking into testosterone, top surgery, etc.

Thoughts? Anyone else noticing this, or is it just where I live?

Disclaimer: This post isn't meant to be offensive to anyone who identifies as transgender and is actually dealing with the hardships of not being comfortable in his/her God-given body.

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because being trans has lately been brought to national attention, it's only natural that some rise in it's "popularity" would occur. Personally I think it's ridiculous for anyone to want to be transgender or identify in that way because if they actually understood what that meant, I don't think they'd want that.

There is a statistical amount of the population that is suspected to be transgendered. This was around 0.01% to 0.03% before the rise in national awareness. It's not plausible that that number would suddenly and exponentially jump.

Then again... there is no such thing as being "trans enough" but still, you cannot just choose to be trans all of a sudden. A big misunderstanding when it comes to the transgender community (from an outside-looking-in perspective) is that we figured out we were trans because of gender expression and/or stereotypes. This couldn't be more wrong.

Transgender (FtM) doesn't mean that you are really masculine in clothing and style, and it doesn't even mean that you feel more at home with male pronouns and names. A trans identity results from a person's relationship with their own body and assigned sexual characteristics - not gender stereotypes. The fact that so many stud lesbians now seem to be identifying as trans*masculine would - in my opinion - point to a psychological reason rather than neurological.

#2 Kodo, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    ^Rhys be on fire.

Yes. I could not have said it better.

I don't want to call people "hobby trans" (and here comes the but), but I do think people should be more considerate before doing something that seems fun to them when it's a seriously nerve-wrecking, life-defining experience for many others.

To clarify: I'm not offended by the thread. It's not a comfortable topic for me, it makes me feel insecure, but it is important and should be addressed.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

DrinkBudweiser... if it wasn't a little past 8 AM, I'd give you a better response. But I wanted to say, thank you for bringing this up, because it is important. I'm sure, before I find time to weigh in, others will have and possibly better than I could.

5. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course there's going to be an increase in the transgender population, since it has been in the national spotlight strongly in the past year. I could understand if a few people felt comfortable in coming out as trans..... It's just that the amount of people doing it is a bit agitating. I feel like everyday on facebook, I see a post or two that so and so has came out as trans. If I don't go to the club for a week, I'll return the following week and run into someone (or multiple people for that matter) who announce to me that they are now trans.

Maybe it shouldn't be, but it's driving me crazy.

6. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Over time things will most likely change back. In general, if someone cis tries to truly transition they will start suffering from gender dysphoria and it won't end well. Hopefully over time the visibility will focus on how real this really is for us, how traumatic and painful it can be to live as a lost and disconnected person in a body that feels wrong in the worst way possible... :frowning2:

#6 Eveline, Jun 22, 2015
  7. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Interesting. I've always found it curious how a lot of the LG folk who were most uncomfortable with transgenders were themselves gender-variant in some way (a few of my trans friends would say, "That's because they're closeted trans/in-denial!" but I think the issue is more complex than that).

With visibility and rights increasing for the T, I think self-discovery and coming out for many young people becomes even more layered than it would have been... thirty years ago, since there are now more terms, more options. That said, I do have my own worries that some might see trans as taking the "easy" way out, which seems to go hand-in-hand with concepts related to assimilation.

While some might be doing it out of confusion or fitting in, there are others who didn't have these advances available to them before, and are truly happier now. I doubt all masculine women (and feminine men) are going to disappear overnight, replaced by trans men and women, because most are happy with their bodies, even if society has yet to catch up with their "roles".

I also understand that it's quite common for trans men to have a "butch lesbian" background, which isn't surprising, considering how connected the lesbian, feminist, and trans male communities are. In some ways, I'm envious, since (straight) cross dressers, gay men, and trans women seem to exist on totally different spheres, with little holding them together. At the same time, issues like these seem to be less common.

Anyway, it's complex, since gender-variant, transsexual, and gay communities have existed side-by-side for a long time. There weren't always strict barriers drawn between terms and communities, and in many countries, there still aren't. Some hold a more rigid, clinical view regarding transgenderism, while others are more let live.

Perhaps asking yourself why it bothers you so much would be a good idea? I know a few butch women who say they feel betrayed. I was for the longest time bothered by overly effeminate men, partly because they reminded me of my own "feminine" traits. Women have bound their chests even before trans rights took off, so I wouldn't say bodily discomfort is the only criteria.

8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Yeah, I understand this. I won't deny that a lot of them are truly trans, but I think younger people these days are confused on what trans even means. I have seen people identify as trans, simply for being gender non-conforming yet having NO gender dysphoria at all. You can be a trans man and be feminine which is what people don't get....it has nothing to do with gender roles.

I too am a more masculine lesbian compared to everyone else on this site, but I'm not really "all the way". I consider myself more soft butch/chapstick. However, I do not even see other androgynous lesbians anymore.

I just really hope that people are coming out as trans because they truly are and not just following gender roles.

9. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not uncomfortable around trans people, not the slightest. One of my very, very best friends is a trans-woman. I'm not a closeted trans/in-denial, I love my body and who I am. I'm not sure if you were generally stating that or indirectly stating it towards me, but I figured I'd clear that up first of all. We're all one big community, I support transgenders 110% - it's just almost like this is a trend, the popular thing to do. As if being a masculine woman or a feminine male isn't good enough... So taking the next step would solidify them as the alpha of the breed (for lack of a better word)

This isn't something that affects me personally I don't care what other people do, it's your life. If you want to go sky diving with bologna on your nipples, come out as transgender, change your taste in music, cut your hair, whatever... I don't care. It's just from a standpoint of seeing the struggle someone whose transgender goes through, it's almost like it's an insult to the T part of the community for all of these people to just be loosely throwing around that they're transgender. There's many who are transgender one day, just a stud lesbian the next, back 'n forth. I fail to find it rational.

It's one thing when it's trending to cut your hair like Justin Bieber, so you do it. It's another thing to see someone's who's transgender and just be like, "eh I'll give it a shot!" If I were transgender, I'd be insulted. I just feel like that's what's going on. You have an excellent point when you mention that not ALL masculine women and ALL feminine males are transitioning, that's very true. Majority around here are changing their preferred pronouns left and right though, seems a bit extreme.

---------- Post added 22nd Jun 2015 at 10:30 AM ----------

Hallelujah hollaback!!!!!! Thank you. Consider your post co-signed. I completely agree.

10. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Aren't roles a part of the experience, for most people, though? When a young trans man/woman imagines their ideal life as being someone's husband/wife, or a father/mother, those are roles. I'd say for most people, it's a combination of social, mental, and biological reasons, with some leaning towards a direction (or directions).

Some radical feminists argue that gender is entirely socialized, and that it's impossible to truly "feel like a man/woman" unless you were born and raised as one. I don't think something being learned makes it less valid, though.

I've never liked hearing "confused" from gay men and lesbians, since it mirrors what heterosexuals have been saying about those groups. I might have my doubts, but I'll never assume to know better than what someone is going through.

Maybe it is a trend, maybe it's not. If so, be sure it'll pass, just like others before. Someone online said that genderqueer was the new bisexual, and I thought, "Well, sh*t." :lol: And no, it wasn't directed at you specifically, but I do see blogs and posts describe the supposed tension that exists between trans men and butch lesbians, except I've had more experience hearing the trans guys side of the story.

You're not alone in feeling they're making light of "true" transgender struggles, either. There are even more, and more serious, dialogues within the trans community regarding who is more "valid" or "acceptable". It's ironic, since most of us at one time, by some people, would have been considered "pretenders". :dry:

I'm not even sure the medical community, which started many of the procedures and guidelines to live by, has caught up with the political/social movement. One of the myths I'd like to dispel is that it's solely a young people's thing: there are several men and women who are old enough to be our grandparents who have been involved in drag or what have you, and recently decided to transition. Again, more opportunities and increased acceptance.

Along with supporting transgenders rights to live how they please, I'm also interested in breaking down many social norms related to gender, so other genderqueer and non-conforming folk don't have to go through hell for not fitting in! And yes, this sometimes puts me at odds with more conservative folk who wish to assimilate and be seen as "normal".

11. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I take this back. I do NOT feel insecure about this thread anymore! (!)

You guys are awesome, I just wanna snuggle this thread into oblivion!

DrinkBudweiser and gravechild, you are both really cool!

Hugsies!

12. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Grave, I'm sure it'll pass with time if it is a trend. I guess it's a little unfair to refer to the recent out-comings of the trans community as a trend. (I kind of feel like a dick for saying that now.) Maybe with all the national support shown for people like Jenner, Lelah Alcorn, etc. they just feel more comfortable with letting the world know. There's nothing wrong with that and it's awesome that they find comfort in doing so. I just truly hope this is what these new members of the T community truly want, instead of just following along for attention or better self-validation.

I don't think I've personally witnessed any tension between studs and transmen, although I'm sure it exists. I think more than anything, I've heard lots of lesbians just really blown away by how many lesbians are coming out as trans-men. Including myself, (obviously) I began this thread on it.

Becki, I'm glad you don't feel insecure. You have my complete support, I just thought this thread was a topic worth discussing. I hope everything is going well for you.

13. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Of course, I wish everyone the best in coming out and finding safety, acceptance, and understanding, trans or not. :slight_smile:

Sometimes I feel like mediator, when these sorts of discussions come up, and it's always been a source of curiosity, to see what those placed firmly on one side or the other think.

In the past, professionals thought of transsexuals as "extreme homosexuals" (which is pretty absurd, considering the variety of sexualities represented), and think some people still confuse the two. Maybe LGB having more gender-variant examples, or a larger percentage of self-identified LGB populations within the trans community play a part? Hmm.

14. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I guess it depends how roles are defined. The better term to use would have been stereotypes. I fit some masculine stereotypes, yet I'm a woman. However, I have no desire to be a "dad" or a "husband", and I can understand that being a different thing. But it seems like a lot of genders are just made up out of stereotypes and dress style.

I should clarify that I do NOT mean to insult trans people or say that someone is less trans for whatever reason. I support trans people and the right for them to be themselves. However, I struggle to understand what the meaning of gender even is at this point. It seems now like anyone who has a vagina and is masculine/androgynous in expression has to be FtM or genderqueer and I feel like that erases a lot of us who do not consider ourselves this way (including trans men who wear dresses and makeup).

Of course, I'm sure a lot of trans men have hid under the "butch lesbian" label for a long time and I'm not saying the OP's friends are not trans. It just seems weird that we're living in a backwards society where everyone has to fit assigned gender stereotypes 100% to have a certain gender attached to them.

15. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think one of the more amusing things about gender is that somehow people who are cis struggle to explain what it means to be female or male and still expect someone who is trans to prove that they really are female or male. There is something much more deeply ingrained about being a person of a specific gender beyond the body and constructed gender role/identity. I feel this, I truthfully can't know if someone who is female really feels like I do but my intuition says that they do. When someone suggests that you are trans because of the way you act, it's natural for you to feel discomfort at the thought and there is nothing wrong with feeling this way. Because, in the end, you really are female and there is no real reason for you to think otherwise unless you know deep down that you are male and feel gender/body dysphoria about being female.

16. AlamoCity

I once read in an online article about how transmen didn't like to date butch women because it was a blow to their masculinity because the butch female would be more "manly" than the tranman.
    I suppose transmen are as fragile in their identity as cismen :lol:.

17. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes, 'cause they are after all men, a fact that some cismen seem to forget.

I don't know what's going on with your social circle, Budweiser. As someone mentioned, if they are not really trans, the'll stop and go back at some point. Everyone has the right to explore gender, and tell the world about it : It's called freedom of expression, and if you want it for yourself, you should allow the rest to enjoy the same 'privilege'.

And last, but not least, all the nuances of butch lesbian can look and sound even more 'masculine' than some men. Gender expression is not the same as gender. At the end of the day, a man is a man, even if he wears glasses and is president of a chess club, he is a man.

I have no idea what's wrong with that... Transmen are not after exterminating butch afaik...

18. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, it's not easy to fake being transgender, and they will probably revert if they are truly masculine women. If not, though, it's possible all of your friends are trans men. I hope they know that just because they are masculine doesn't mean they have to identify as male... I am not sure about anything yet, but I may be trans male, and if I am, I would be considered very feminine or androgynous. I'm not that manly at all even if I wish I was sometimes.

19. Lipstick Leuger

Unfortunately, this happens to be the plight of the Hard Butch/Stud. People have little understanding of how masculinity can present itself within a female. My Butch is also very masculine of center. It makes me sad that Butches/Studs feel that they are not ok as they are and that to truly harness masculine energy they have to transition. It sometimes is quite a journey for a very masculine Butch/Stud to be ok with who they are and with society in general. People should transition because they know nature made a mistake and they are in the wrong body(my ex was trans), not because they feel Butch/Stud is not a valid gender presentation.

One famous Butch/Stud is Ivan Coyote. She has written many gender books and talks about being Butch and how it is confusing for some. Also, read Stone Butch Blues. This is the gold standard for Hard Butches/Studs. In the book she goes through her life trying to learn self acceptance.

#19 Lipstick Leuger, Jun 22, 2015
  20. ApexxShadow

I mean, gender is something that's felt. Everyone experiences gender in a different way. I for one, don't experience gender at all, or at least that's what it feels like to me. Masuclinity doesn't mean male, as femininity doesn't mean female. I have a frien, who identified as lesbian for a very long time. He would always dress on the more masculine side. Okay, so about three weeks ago, he ended up coming out to me as transgender. He said he knew for a long time, just didn't come to terms with accepting it. I know some trans people who have no intention to transition, or are unable to transition. Though, not being able to transition doesn't make them any less of a trans person, and it doesn't invalidate their gender.

I don't know, those are just some of my short thoughts on this.

#20 ApexxShadow, Jun 22, 2015