1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Coming Out Experiences?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by davidfreckelton, Jun 22, 2015.

1. davidfreckelton

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I told my mum that i was into guys right. she says that im too good with babies to be gay and when i said that there are girls i like she said that means i cant like guys. its like she doesnt know what bisexual means. whats worse is that she doesnt want me talking to any of my LGBT friends, at all.

I was wondering if anyone has had any bad experiences. partly out of curiosity, partly to make myself feel better

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've come out to 3(?) people. And they all had good reactions. But shortly after they just quit talking to me (and I've tried talking to then and asking to hang out)... Guess it could of been worse :/

3. Formality

I haven't had any bad coming out experiences, but I've had my fair share of discussions and arguments about LGBT issues, and I can tell you I'm not always happy about some views people in my surroundings hold.

On a more positive note. Stay strong in yourself. Keep on being you and live as you are and most probably your mother will get around. Some concepts can be hard for people to grasp when they've lived their whole lives without any perspective on the matter so don't expect her to understand it instantly. Be patient and explain to her what it means and how you feel. Maybe she'll have an easier time getting around. :slight_smile:

4. BiPenguin

Sadly, many families react poorly to those of us. Society has been conditioned by religious nutters for a long time now which will take a long time to move past. Hopefully they come around to accepting you as you are in the future.

5. thepandaboss

Two words. My mom.

She didn't take it well. We're not really on speaking terms anymore. On the bright side though, the rest of my family and my friends took it pretty well.

6. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Oh, she's just being difficult. This one actually sounds pretty decent. No crying, no spiritual crisis, no traumatizing trips to therapists, no exorcisms, no time spent living in a youth shelter, no recriminations, no self-recrimination, no name-calling, no physical attacks, no ex-gay camp, and so on. If your mom can manage to be merely difficult, then you're doing pretty good!

7. BelleFromHell

I once came out to a guy at the homeless shelter I was staying at after he asked me if I had a boyfriend. He used the usual excuse, the Bible, and called me a disgusting sinner. We argued for about 20 minutes. After I called him homophobic, he threatened to send his "homegirl" to kick my ass.

I told everyone that he was bad news and I didn't feel comfortable being around him. I didn't even accept the bag of chips he offered me, although I ate like a bird that day and really needed something to fill my stomach. Not even two hours after all this happened, he was discharged from the shelter for sexually assaulting a gay male friend of mine with a stick.

That's got to be my worst (and most scary) coming out experience.

8. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One guy at school told me that I was just confused and I would 'get over it' eventually. A friend told me that I should try to like guys because then I will realize I'm interested in them after all, and I'm just bisexual. We're not friends anymore, and that's part of the reason. She just didn't understand that I couldn't like guys, I guess.

9. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

I have not came out but I already know how my family would react toward it so no just no

10. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nothing terrible but when the truth came out to my dad he thought I couldn't possibly know my sexuality. He's more open now but still teases me about boys, probably out of habit...
    My mom outed me to my grandma and she said, "what happened to make you not like boys? Is it that they're dirty, nasty, disgusting, lying, and idiotic?" (Yeah she's pretty sexist) I tried to explain I was born like that and that I had nothing against men but she didn't seem to buy it.
    But really, if the worst you're getting is a few homophobic comments now and then, you're doing fine. There is so much worse that can happen to an LGBT person.

11. Ryandoesthings

I've only had one.
    I came out as trans and pansexual to one of my online friends (Ive only come out to online friends so far) and they were very interested in what it meant cause they hadn't heard of it (They were 13 at the time and didn't know what it meant), so in telling them they outed me to the chatroom we talked in and everyone had gotten mad at me. Turns out most of them were either Christians with homophobic views, or just homophobic 13 and 14 year olds which ended up in me having to leave cause the admin also happened to be homophobic. Thats really the only bad coming out experience Ive had, though the only ones I've had were online so I dont know the feeling of it in real life.

All the luck to you. x

12. guitar

I've been very lucky in that I've yet to experience a bad coming out. Some have gone better than others, but once they get over the shock, they always say they support me.

I feel for a lot of you who've had horrible experiences.