1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holding hands

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CuriousArticles, Jun 22, 2015.

?

Do you hold hands with platonic friends?

1. Yes, I'll hold hands with any of my friends

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. I'll only hold hands with very close friends or in certain circumstances

21 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. I'll only hold hands with a partner

30 vote(s)
    44.8%
  4. Not really a hand holding fan in any sense

13 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So when I was about 12 I became friends with this girl who wasn't exactly my type of person. And on several ooccasions she held my hand. This wasn't romantic in any way and a lot of girls like her held each others hands but it made me uncomfortable.

Since then I've had it happen a few times with girls who are close friends but I tend to drop it pretty quick as I don't like it.

What are everyones opinions on platonic hand holding? Personally i find it very intimate and only want to do it with a romantic partner, although I make exceptions for circumstances like keeping contact in a crowd or reassuring someone who's upset.

2. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I sometimes jokingly do it with friends but it never lasts longer than 10 seconds. I don't go around holding hands with people.

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Where is the "very close friends and partners" option? Sign me up for that one. For now, I'll say partners only, I guess. Except kids, of course, like my little sis.

4. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    arfff!!
    i think that what OP means is holding hand between two mature teenager/adult. Kids are generally an exceptions

yeah, i also pick partner only
    because guys dont usually hold hand to each other in any way

5. Lyana

I don't do it with very many people, but under certain circumstances, yeah. I'm far more demonstrative in public with my best female friend, physically speaking, than with the people I've actually been in a relationship with. My friend and I have always held hands, or even walked with our arms around each other's waist. It's just our thing. I know she's comfortable with it and I'm comfortable with it, so why not?
    But I can't think of any other "just a friend" person I'd do it with, so I guess I do associate it with a high level of intimacy. Just not necessarily romantic intimacy. This is a friend I roomed with for two years and am obviously extremely comfortable doing pretty much anything with. Plus I trust her and love her to bits.

Hand-holding was never really a thing in the romantic relationships I've been in. I mean, it happened occasionally, but holding hands in public was never a given. But I enjoy it, yeah, and I do find it romantic. It's more about the person than the act itself for me, I think.

6. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oops. Sorry! Was implying that partners were included there.

7. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is exactly what I think about holding hands. ^
    However, if others express friendly affection in that way, I think it's fine. I personally wouldn't because I don't like touchy stuff with people who are not close to me.

8. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think a lot of people (mostly women) feel this way. personally I'm really comfortable hugging cuddlingand linking arms with my best friends but hand holding? Just feels more romantic intimate to me. i feel awkward doing it with friends without a reason.

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My hands can get sweaty really easily and so can other people's and I don't like the way it feels so know I'm not really much of a hand holding type of person.

10. Formality

I don't so it very often. Mostly when I do it I'm drunk. I love holding hands but if I'm gonna do it sober it'd have to be with a partner.

11. awdru15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hardly ever hold hands just not my thing and if I do its for a squeeze of support like am hear for you .

12. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've held hands with a couple close female friends. One time we were making our way through a big crowd and holding hands kept us close, so it was practical, but neither of us found it weird.

13. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

I said I'll hold hands with any of my friends. But by that I meant that if any of them were to grab my hand I wouldn't object, I would of course (depending on the person) be surprised, but there are only a few of my friends who's hands I would grab. But I mean it's different with my guy friends I've had a few of them jokingly grab my hand but I don't think I could grab the hands of any other than one (who is my childhood friend) without it being awkward?

14. The Wallflower

Partner only.

I'm a person that isn't a fan of physical contact, and I get embarassed just by public hugs... so if we're gonna hold hands in public, we'd have to be really close, if you know what I mean.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'll hold hands with anyone, though I may not initiate it. This isn't really that big of a deal for me.

That said, randomly holding hands with someone is not going to have the same feeling as, say, holding hands with someone I've invested feelings into. I like to think of holding hands as a little reminder of, hey, somebody likes me and I like them, and this is awesome.

Corny, but that's how it is.

16. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

I find people's hand too clammy or sweaty. And it makes me uncomfortable.

17. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like the IDEA of doing it with a partner. In my area though, it isn't socially acceptable for 2 friends who are guys to do that sort of thing. It's still sketchy as to holding hands with any 2 males. I have to watch it for my safety.

18. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The idea of holding hands, even with a partner, sounds annoying. Kind of like cuddling. Not a big fan.

19. GypsyButterfly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've only held hands with partners. I will touch friends hands or give their hands a quick squeeze. I don't let it linger. I'm affectionate & might let it go for awhile. I don't think most of them would be comfortable with it, though.

20. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same, except I tend to be on the other end of that problem. I have this awful condition called hyperhydrosis that makes my hands sweat way more than necessary. :frowning2:
    It sucks cause I actually would like to hold someone's hand but my stupid hands are so clammy
    Sometimes I get kinda depressed cause I just glom everything with my f*cking sweat.

#20 Celatus, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015