1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you hate effeminate over the top guys? read this

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by joshy the queen, Jun 23, 2015.

1. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its an answer from a site its very thoughtful and hope to turn some heads here.
    .........:thumbsup:

the actual problem, which has nothing
    to do with effeminate men and everything to do with yourself.

How exactly does your effemiphobia
    manifest itself? If it’s a question of making catty comments to your friends,
    you can change that as easily as you change your pink Aussiebum briefs. Just
    stop saying those things.

But I suspect you’re talking about
    something deeper: a sense of discomfort you have around effeminate guys.

This is worth exploring.
    Effeminate guys can be annoying jerks just like anyone else, of course, but
    when people think of them as annoying simply because they’re effeminate, that’s the real problem.

Years ago, that was me. I had a
    very effeminate friend at the time, and we were close enough that one time when
    he was acting particularly campy, I outright asked him, “Why do you do that? Why
    do you put on a show? Did you ever just try
    toning it down?”

He looked at me, and he said, “Every
    day, until I was about 18-years-old. It was clear that that’s what everyone
    around me wanted, so I tried to butch it up, I tried not to talk with my hands.
    And I was completely miserable. I used to want to kill myself. Finally, I got
    so tired of feeling miserable, and I just accepted that I am what I am. But
    it’s not a show: this is who I am, how I’m comfortable presenting myself.”

And I thought to myself, “Wow,
    that sounds a lot like the process I went through before I accepted I was gay.”

And I also thought, “Of all the
    people I know, he is one of the few who does
    seem genuine and absolutely true to himself.”

Then he said: “But why does the
    way I act bother you? Why does it
    have anything to do with you at all?”

I’ve thought a lot about what he
    said. The truth is, I was worried that people would look at him and make
    certain judgments about the manliness of all gay people – a judgment that would
    spill over onto me.

But why did I care so much what
    other people thought? Rather than trying to get my friend and all the people
    like him to conform to some ridiculous standard of “acceptability,” I needed to
    be more like my friend in at least
    one way: much less worried about what other people thought of me.

I’m no saint: I’m sure I’ve said
    and done things that were very hurtful to effeminate guys. These feelings we
    have, about others and about ourselves, are deeply ingrained.

But what worked for me was trying
    hard to see the issue from his perspective, not mine. Once I did that, it
    became almost impossible not to see how stupid I was being.

2. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ^^^ This is awesome :slight_smile:

I wish more people thought like this.

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Everyone should have a right to be who they are and express themselves! :slight_smile:

Nice piece!

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know that effective arguments start off by immediately placing all the blame on the reader. It may be effective (?) for those that already agree, but I doubt it would be beneficial in convincing those who truly "hate" effeminate gay guys.

Otherwise, it's mostly true and I agree with much of the sentiment. Many people are afraid of going against societies norms of femininity and masculinity. In that regard, they are afraid of "gay" being percieved as girly. I have more to say but it's late and I don't feel like finishing this thought.... So moving on...

It wouldn't be interesting if I just agreed with the entire speal. I do disagree that it's always "effemiphobia"... Many personality traits taken to the extreme can get on people's nerves. The fact still is that we need to live and let live. If we do not like a personality for whatever, we don't need to associate with those people on a deep level, but we don't need to ostracize, talk bad about, or otherwise try to hurt those people -- only if they are harming others should be show disapproval. What seems more simple to me than trying to understand effeminate guys is to just not be a jerk in general!

5. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Transphobia of any kind is tacky, and it is shallow.

Some guys who are fems are just also jerks, which is what other people tend to remember about any group that they don't belong to.

6. tscott

Just as very feminine can be offensive to some so can being uber-masculine. Both can be caricatures.

7. scxred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Many feminine gay men did not just one day decide to act like that; they were always feminine.. even as children. They were most probably outcasted and looked down upon for their femininity. Why would they emulate something which is looked very down upon by society and even in the gay community for e.g. many feminine gay men are rejected. Feminine gay men are not only present in western society for e.g. two spirit indian natives (completely unaware of western stereotypical presentations on gay men for obvious reasons).Femininity in men in society is still seen as something to be ashamed of. I think the stereotypes may be exaggerated by some gay men as a way to rebel against femininity being seen as weak or femininity in men being seen as negative; hence the need to be "fierce" and "fabulous". I feel like if femininity in men was more accepted in society, the stereotype would actually decrease because there would be less for feminine gay men to rebel against. Think of the reactions a man would get for wearing a dress or 'walking/talking like a girl' in comparison to a girl wearing men's trousers or 'walking/talking like a guy'.

8. Ste86

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can't help the way you are no one should be judged or ostracised simply because of their mannerisms.

9. Cider

No. In my opinion it's wrong to hate someone for what they can't change, especially if it's not hurting anyone.

10. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

I'm annoyed by anyone who'se too loud and intense in his/her movements or behaves in a way to be the center of attention...

11. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I think most people are, but this does not apply to people who naturally act loud or with a lot of movement.

12. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is awesome :slight_smile:

13. guitar

I love it: this is who I am, and this acting this way comes naturally. This piece could have saved me a lot of problems and self-repression over the years.

As someone who is into effeminate men, it certainly helps to open my eyes a bit more to why they are the way they are
    And the simple answer is because that's who they are.

14. joshvolby

sure you can be whatever or whoever you want and how you want to express your feelings but you know you are the only person in the world and not all will just accept it and just go along with it. as long as you wont hurt or offend anyone then that's fine no problem.

15. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I dont have any hatred for feminine men and the story was pretty moving however I agree with Austin that some of the personality traits taken to the extreme can be annoying for example I have no patience for many of the more 'glamorous' and 'bitchy' aspects of femininity although I attribute this to the personality in general instead of the femininity specifically and in any case I'll judge based on the individual, not the group. Fem guys can be pretty awesome and they can be annoying jerks not unlike any one else

16. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed completely with you, Tim. But also, both can *appear* to be caricatures, while in fact being the completely natural genuine expression of a person.

17. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    biAnnika - yes totally spot on

18. rudysteiner

I don't know about anyone else, but reading this didn't change my mind at all on 'effemiphobia'¹, and I'm not looking to play the Devil's advocate.

Just as people are allowed to be who they are, I am allowed to not like certain representations of specific personality traits, or even the personality trait as a whole. Also, because every single 'effeminate' gay guy I've met has made this femininity their whole identity² (purposely or not), they have come across in ways that severely contrast who I am, with no middle ground, I concluded that they're just not the kind of people I want to associate with, and personally I think that's okay.

Anyone can twist my words however they want and call me xphobic, but this is just my opinion.

¹ Is this even a real thing, or just a made up word to make people feel valid/bad respectively?
    ² This is directed at those people who are basically big walking metaphors for the word 'gay'.

19. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel the same as tscott. I find both extremes equally irritating.. whether it's a gay guy who is incredibly flamboyant and bitchy, or a straight guy who feels the need to constantly reassure himself that he's straight by talking about tits all the time and saying 'bro' and 'dude'.

#19 imnotreallysure, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  20. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I hope no one feels like their opinions or views are being threatened - that was not my intention (also so sorry for replying to a really old thread - I've really got to pay attention more and stop doing this), everyone has a right to their views and the reasons that have led to those views.

imnotreallysure, I agree with your second example so much, as that's the environment I was brought up in, so with you 100% there.

I guess I just found myself agreeing with joshy the queen and many of the other encouraging replies in that it really depends on a per-case basis and effeminate mannerisms or behaviours shouldn't just be looked down upon by default, that's the thinking that saddens me.