1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if one day science proves being gay is due to environment?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChloeKiss, Jun 23, 2015.

1. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

I doubt that will ever happen personally :lol: I have liked girls since my earliest memories.. But what if one day science proves we weren't born like this? I would be pretty pissed off and would look for any possible way to prove otherwise.. I would also feel guilty lmao! Also my family would be so confused. My mother especially!

So.. How would you guys react to this if it were to ever happen?! I personally believe science will prove how we WERE born like this because.. Honestly.. How could a 4 (or 6) year old choose to be a Lesbian. Thank You!

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I think a lot of people are already starting to believe this, even in LGBT communities. I guess I can understand why some people would think this but I also fear the dangers of it. We already live in a society where "All women HAVE to be available to men", "Why can't men just TRY to like women more?" and "Bisexuals should choose one gender!"

Don't really want that to be encouraged.....

3. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, personally, I just wouldn't believe it. Even scientists make mistakes and sexual orientation is so clearly something you are born with that it makes absolutely zero sense to claim otherwise. I mean sexual orientation even exists among animals...

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It will never happen Chloe. Trust me when I was 6 and I watched dancing with the stars I thought this one tan guy with abs was smoking hot and I told my mom I thought he was hot too.

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They might find that it is due to the hormones in the mother's womb. So, you could be born LGBT, but it is technically considered the mom's hormonal system/environment.

6. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If this happened I would roll my eyes. Could an article stating that it is all environmental with data be published in an academic journal? It's possible. But just because research gets published does not mean its right (or properly done). I have worked in a research lab where we have taken experiments from published research and try to reproduce them in the lab with no luck. Of course this could just be us failing at the experiment but if a properly explained and detailed experiment cant be reproduced, it could mean that the data (and therefore the conclusion from it) are suspect.

This happens all the time with science especially with complex scenarios such as this. I have even heard stories of high profile research being submitted, published and seen as leaps ahead of their time, only to find out that they doctored their data (they were discovered when people failed to be able to reproduce it on their own).

What I have learned from my time reading research is that you must not accept the findings automatically, especially science hyped by the media.

7. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    People already have "proof" that people are not born gay. It's obviously false, so if people come up with more "proof", then I'll find the proof against it.

People think having 1 identical twin being gay and the other straight is proof. It's really not because identical twins can vary in many traits. (One left handed and the other right handed. One being a boy and the other being a girl)

#7 Skaros, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So long as people are accepting, or at least tolerant and uphold principles of equality, it doesn't matter a lot to me what 'causes' it.

In a sense, I've been somewhat bothered by it being somehow better to have been 'born this way', as if it's not our 'fault', and our genes are absolving ourselves of something sinful. In my mind, it shouldn't be a fault, even if it were a choice. (Though personally, I feel it's a complex interaction on genetics and one's environment)

9. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Oh HuskyPup I have felt the same way. I get this twinge of uneasiness when I hear/read about being 'born this way'. But I never knew how to explain it to myself why I found it unsettling. But what you have written makes so much sense! I too felt like it was saying 'whelp I was born this way so I'm not at fault, BLAME my genes because BLAME should be asigned!'

Sorry if this sounds a little weird but its like that eureka moment when you finally understand what has been bothering you and I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling this.

10. BelleFromHell

It shouldn't really matter. Even if it was a choice, it shouldn't make a difference. We still deserve to be treated with as much respect as straight people.

Unfortunately, most people don't see it that way.

11. DragKing692

Alas, science at this point in time! Perhaps some scientists will someday inform us that,"Hey, you were born, hormonally, like this!" and all the homophobes will be like,"uhhh..... what do we do now?" Man, that's going to be fun!
    But on a more serious note, I firmly do not believe that sexuality was due to environment, and hormones will very clearly explain who we are.

12. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

still be me duh -laugh

13. Gandee

Gandee Guest

If science could prove that being gay is due to environment, that would be absolutely terrifying! One more reason to legalize and popularize conversion therapies.

In order to protect the gay agenda, we must infiltrate their base and kidnap the scientists. Take their families hostage too. We can't let a single word out. :evil:

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

San Francisco would be quarantined.

15. MrSkittles

I wouldn't believe the scientists. I have known I was attracted to guys since I was around 9
    or 10 so I known I was born gay and science cant change that

16. MysteriousMadam

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think there is science that already proves that being gay is not a choice and I think their information/findings are only getting better. If it were to happen though, I would just stop listening to them until they get their heads straight lol...

#16 MysteriousMadam, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  17. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We should be fighting for the rights of gender and sexual minorities irrespective of what science is showing about the causes of sexuality and gender variance.

For my part, I can say that if it were a choice, I would have made the one right for me. I'd hate to be straight.

18. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't care either way. Whether I was born this way, influenced by external factors or made a conscious choice, what I do and who I am isn't harmful to anyone.

19. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Lies, you heathen! It is harmful to the children!

Think of the children, you sexual miscreant!

<3

20. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fuck the children.