1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you deal with stupid people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by The Wallflower, Jun 23, 2015.

1. The Wallflower

What I mean by the title is... If someone came and told you: "You made the wrong choice." or something like that, how would you react or what would you say to that person?

I've faced these kinds of people many times before, but I've never really done anything. I stay quiet and try to ignore them.

Not anymore; I'm ready to defend myself.

I have a notebook ready to write it all down, so please share with me! :grin:

2. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Arfff!!

during what? exams/quizzes? class selections? elections?

personally i dont mind stupid people here in my workplace...
    we get along really well (probably because I'm one of them:lol:slight_smile:

sorry if mine is not that helpful at all =)

3. The Wallflower

Haha, oh Benny... x3

I mean, what if a person told you that you made "the wrong choice" by going gay, transitioning, etc.

Oh, and this thread can refer to all stupid people in general.

When I say stupid, though... I mean people that don't know what they're talking about, that do or say things just to get on your nerves.

4. BiKate

Grab somebody of the opposite sex and make out with them in front of stupid people.

But really I'm not sure, I'm not actually out yet so haven't even had to deal with that kind of stupid. The most action I've taken against anyone, is when I overheard co workers talking about how gross "faggots" are and after being too shocked to say anything, ordered gay pride and marriage equality stickers on ebay to plaster over the staff room :')

But really I'd like to see what some people suggest on here about how to defend yourself against the stupid.

5. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Like Sartorious, what if I'm one of the stupid people?! :lol:

If I had a boyfriend, I'd grab him and french kiss him right then and there? :lol:

You mad, bruh? :grin:

6. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Stop taking it personally, 'cause after all they are talking to somebody else : The image they think it's you. Once you realize this, and the fact that we are all fools, their farts wil melt with the bckground noise.
    Try to spend time in good company, better company. Let them rot among themelves.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

8. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same as I treat someone homophobic. I ignore them til they leave. I've learned that you cannot change a homophobe's or a stupid person's option no matter what you say. So I generally ignore both until they go away.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some stupid people I know are irritating because they argue withOUT facts and they are also pushy at the same time. I steer clear of them. I have had a couple of other friends who might be a little like this but still had a good heart and I had to limit my exposure to them because their "stupidity" stressed me out.

10. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If someone directly told me I'm a faggot, I would tell them that 'why yes, I am' and 'Is that a problem?'
    Or if someone tells me 'that looks gay on you' I say 'that's the objective'
    It usually shuts them up really quickly. You have to own the gay.

11. MysteriousMadam

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    AMEN (!):eusa_clap:lol::eusa_danc:roflmao:

12. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I keep them close so I can feel intellectually superior - like a true egomaniac.

13. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I think somebody is being malicious with their willful ignorance... I usually devalue them. I think they're lower than dirt. Therefore I feel less inclined to waste time with them.

14. randomly me

randomly me Guest

I usually try to see the use full qualities in someone which can be very different.A person doesn't have to be intelligent to be of value.I get annoyed if people are slowing me down though...

In a situation like this
    I'd usually give them a "Stop wasting my time you are dismissed." look.
    They aren't worth a verbal reply.(unless it's appropriate criticism and they have actually something good to say )

15. awdru15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I take no notice of them or be sarcastic in my comments .

16. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I speak to them as if they had more intelligence, unless they start speaking very rudely to me. Then I usually try to argue a bit, fail, and walk away.

17. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Study them. Really, just pretend they are microbes swimming around under a microscope, and look upon them with a sort of detached scientific curiosity. Just study one such individual.

Take note of how that person is not really looking into you. That person cannot see into you. That person cannot see into your mind or your soul. That person does not have the capability of knowing your internal struggles or the moral dilemmas that you have faced. That person is making a peacock show like he knows you, but it's just that: it's a show.

What these people do is form a construct, in their minds, of some preconceived notion of what kind of person you must be, and that person has already played out, in his mind, how you are going to react by weeping and crying and apologizing for being such a dirty sinner, so that person can have his power trip. Regardless of how you actually react, that is how the person you are dealing with will remember the transaction, as that fantasy. If you watch the play of emotions on that person's face very astutely, you will see that person having reactions to a person who isn't even there and who never really existed at all.

Rather than trying to engage that person normally, simply deliver a lecture on the general topic, just as a professor would to a hall filled with disinterested and reluctant students. See if you can get that person into your narrative. Just remember your favorite professor or the best teacher you ever had. Borrow from that person's style, and even try to get the same inflection. Your teacher ALWAYS had to deal with students who were bitter and resentful over being kept all day in classrooms, the students often dealing with much less talented instructors for most of the day. If you ever had that one shining gem, in the educational system, who could manage to bring a sparkle to the eyes of someone you knew slept through every other class throughout the day, borrow that instructor's methods.

18. tscott

How do I deal with stupid people?

By stupid, I'm going take it you mean willfully ignorant, rather than those with poor IQ's or limited access to education. If that is the case, poorly. I have a strong tendency to be dismissive at best and combative at worst.

19. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I look in the mirror and try to talk some sense into myself, it rarely works. :grin:

20. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just because someone doesn't agree with you and vocally says it, doesn't mean that they're stupid. If I voted for Bob to be mayor and my best friend said, "I don't agree, I think you made the wrong choice - I voted for Tom." I wouldn't say she's stupid. I don't agree that people should get face tattoos, some people think they're cool. I'm not stupid for disagreeing and if it's what they want, they aren't stupid for getting it.

However, I think that you're referring to someone disagreeing with you being gay. This is probably the millionth thread I've seen on this... I just ignore people. There's no reason to argue with bible thumpers, they'll never find you more correct than Jesus.