1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would we be better off without gender?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DreamerBoy17, Jun 23, 2015.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've just been thinking lately on how different the world would be if we didn't have gender. Just think about it. There would be no reason to treat people differently in society with gender roles like: men should work and women should cook all day. People could actually do what they would be best at without being pressured to do anything else. Relationships would truly be "equal" because there would be no expectations on either side for stereotypical things as in, the guy pays on dates. I think it would make the world a better place. I realize that humans will always find ways to categorize and separate people with things like skin color, but I think having a gender free society would be freeing. I also understand that there is no possible way for our own world to become like this, it's just wishful thinking.
    Do you think we would be better off without gender?

2. Simple Thoughts

I'm not sure.

I mean things would be more equal I suppose, but things would also be less diverse.

I'm too tired to figure out how to word this, but ultimately I feel like the world would lose a bit of beauty if there was only a single gender.

3. C P

C P

I think you mean gender roles/expectations?

4. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mean that would come with it, but what I mean is if everyone was the same gender. Like some androgynous race, if that makes sense. I don't think it would make the world less diverse: there would be different hairstyles and fashion and all sorts of things to set people apart. It's purely speculative, I just find it interesting to imagine how that world would be different than ours.

5. Gandee

Gandee Guest

But..but..I like being male (or squirting cucumber) :frowning2:
    In that world, there would be one universal gender, and the rest wouldn't even identify with humans at all.

6. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What CP said.
    I like to hold the door for girls and be the one who pay. I don't expect from her to be a submissive little goody two shoes in return, as a matter of fact I like women wearing trousers and as independent and capable as me.

Others like different stuff, and I'm okay with it. As long as we respect each other, we can have those expectations. What's wrong is the lack of respect, nothing else.

As someone here told me, there is lots of different relationships, with very different dynamics. As long as both are happy with the arrangement, they can do whatever they want, 'old' or 'new' styyle.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Something else would take the place of "gender". There would still be race, sex, and class, not to mention religion and just personal beliefs.

In some ways, it may prove beneficial, but unless the way the world operates is changed, all you're doing is removing one source of segregation to make room for another.

8. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, gender gives us the ability to predict better the behavior of others which strengthens our connection to them, it also makes our identity more stable.

9. Jellal

Personally I'm inclined to believe that we would be better off not having known gender. And if we had never known it, we would not miss it. But having not known it, we would not know we were better off.

What I'm saying is, it wouldn't change as much as you'd think :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Ashley2103

11. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In this kind of society, it would certainly fix a lot of problems, but I think we would lose a lot of variance and that would be a bad thing. I think we should try and fix the expectations and roles people have in their heads rather than make us all the same gender, if that were even possible. Equal, but different.

12. Yuliya

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't think that "gender free" society would be better or worst, I mean gender isn't "obstacl"e on the way to equal world, or any other "differences" like color of skin, nations, religion e.t. Such "obstacle" is created only by our point of view on those things. If I see everyone as equal we'll be equal, if I see something like "problem" it'll be a problem.

13. atoadaso

atoadaso Guest

We'd just find a different way to categorize ourselves & others. Human beings as a whole love finding what separates one individual from another. Plus, gender & gender roles are't the same thing.

14. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think society will suck regardless.

15. atoadaso

atoadaso Guest

Can I just say that your avatar makes this post all the more cynical, & hilarious?

16. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Actually, a really cool novel was written on such a society: The Left Hand of Darkness, by Ursula K. Le Guin, although her society had people who shifted gender. That society had its own set of problems.

Now, we are really slowly moving toward a culture where we are essentially androgynous. If you pay attention, the most gifted individuals in our culture show a considerable degree of androgyny. It is increasingly becoming a normal sort of thing, especially among the literati. The most advanced and powerful cultures in the world have a high degree of gender equality. Women in those cultures prefer men who are less distinctly "masculine."

As for whether or not this is a good thing, that remains to be seen.

17. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am glad my avatar had its intended effect. :lol:

18. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It only sounds appealing because diversity raises controversy.

If we didn't have gender roles, society would create some other type of role. Tall humans should do this, short humans should do this, yada yada... No thanks.

19. Aura

I came here thinking yes of course we would be better off but after reading some responses I now think we would be better without gender roles and expectations instead of without gender completely

20. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    But I like identifying as a female, girl, and mammary glands owner. Keep gender identities and get rid of gender roles. Or at least make them more flexible.