1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tattooed and still terrified of needles?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by siriuslypadfoot, Jun 24, 2015.

1. siriuslypadfoot

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I decided to go vegan for the summer and my mom noticed how pale I was today and decided that I was anemic (which I don't doubt based on my mood the last few weeks and my lack of making sure I was getting B-vitamins and iron). So, I got a multivitamin that I'm going to take, but she still thinks, and I agree, that I should go to a doctor and get a baseline of my nutrient levels.

I am terrified of needles.

I have two tattoos. I passed out during the second one and was fine to finish after I came 'round. I have no problem sitting for them, and I'm even better at getting shots. But for some reason getting my blood drawn makes my skin crawl. I was twelve the last time I needed it done and every second of it was horrible.

Does anyone else have a fear that only manifests itself in certain scenarios like this?

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a fear of blood and needles, which extends to tattoos and piercings.

I also have an oddly specific fear of flying over water. I'm fine as long as it's on land, but flying over water scares me

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm fine with needles when it comes to getting vaccines and tattoos. I'm also fine with seeing my own blood and/or bodily fluids, but I cannot stand seeing other people's blood and bodily fluids like phlegm, barf, etc. I have such an aversion to it I almost have to leave the room if someone next to me has a nosebleed.

4. Lazuri

In the words of Burnie and Gus of Rooster Teeth, that's called a moment of clarity. When you realize you're in a metal tube suspended above the middle of the ocean and think "what the fuck am I doing? Gravity works, I've seen it. This plane is bullshit."

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm like that too. I love the rush of getting tattooed and pierced, but I cringe when I have to give myself shots or have internal freak outs when I need to get blood work.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol, thankfully aerodynamic forces work too, unless we've been stubbornly shutting out physics by pure willpower all this time.

OP, I understand your fear of needles despite having tats. I don't have any tattoos myself, but it's a different kind of needle and certainly a different way they're used. Getting my blood drawn is creepy to think about, but with my medical issues this past year, I've gotten it done multiple times and the fear has reduced to almost nothing. It doesn't hurt near as much as you'd think and is over fairly quickly. Just turn away and think about puppies while it's being done; you'll do fine. Good luck with the results. :slight_smile:

7. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have a generalized FEAR of needles. I'm not afraid of getting a shot or having my blood drawn. But when it comes to numbing needles (ie: for stitches) when they stick that motherfucker so deep it's by my bone.... IT FUCKING HURTS. I'm afraid of the pain that I know is associated with it.