1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you do an LGBT Designation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Eye Shine, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Would you do an LGBT Designation

1. Yes because internal acces only

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. Yes because it is not a big deal

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. No because it is my private business

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. No because I don't want my company to know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Eye Shine

So I was on my electronic Human Resources at work and I saw something labeled "LGBT Designation". I clicked on it and it basically just tells your company that you are part of the LGBT. I was a bit hesitant to do it at first but because it said it was for internal access only I did it. I am open but people still discriminate so I wouldn't want just anyone to know.
    Anyway Would you do the LGBT Designation or no?

Here is the specifics of what it said:
    "Blank is an equal opportunity employer. We are gathering this demographic information to help measure the effectiveness of our Diversity and Inclusion efforts. Due to the sensitivity of this information, internal access is currently restricted to select team members in HR who need the information to perform their job duties. For more information see the FAQ."

#1 Eye Shine, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  2. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would if I truly believed that I wouldn't be discriminated against. I might anyway. I don't think I have been able to convince very many people that I am straight.

3. Lyana

I would, because this isn't people polling their employees in order to fire them. It's supposed to serve a purpose. And it's not like they're going to hang a poster on the wall saying, "Lyana is bisexual. Just so y'all know." I think it's important to promote LGBT acceptance in the workplace.
    I also think it's very likely I'll be closeted in the workplace, when I actually have a workplace.

4. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Go with your instinct. They assign statistical weights to deal with people who are just more anxious and less likely to out themselves, at least if they're doing it right. I can almost guarantee that, if your company is venturing to ask, it's safe to sign on.

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would, but that's just because I'm so far out of the closet already that I don't ever want to go back in, and won't do so for job security, either.

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some companies require hiring based on diversity. And some legitimately treat lgbt as a positive. But not all. Why the hell do you think I'm not out at work (people here know what I do)?

7. I don't really care, so might as well do it.

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If an employer/organisation adopts an equal opportunities policy or equal access policy it's important for them to do some monitoring of the policy and its effectiveness. Are they meeting the benchmarks for recruiting and retaining people with protected characteristics? Are they ensuring fair access for all people? Asking these questions helps them to measure performance, so I'm usually happy to answer. It's always worth checking how the collected data will be stored and used though.

9. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I don't hide my sexuality, but neither do I see a reason to make note of it in every conversation or situation.
    I'm also kind of against set quota for hiring certain people from protected groups.
    I want to be hired because I'm the best person for the job, not because I happen to be queer, Dutch, male, whatever.

10. Jellal

I would, since I'd rather this be handled and perceived professionally rather than personally ... if me being part of the LGBT was a lot more matter of fact and not some kind of hidden thing, then it'd be a weight off my back.

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably not. It wouldn't be any of my company's business. I'm there to work. Although, I don't usher stand what this program really even is.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My polling option is not available: "yes, because the business needs to know if its inclusion efforts are successful."

If they are trying to know how many LGBT employees they have, how the FFFF are they going to know if I don't disclose that I'm a transfeminine bisexual???

Also, remember this isn't even "just internal." This is privileged internal.

~ Adrienne

13. LibertyValance

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sounds like the kind of HR stuff I just delete without reading when it appears in my inbox.

14. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It all depends on the industry of the company and also my experiences with said HR department.

15. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It would definitely depend on the workplace. Currently, there's no way in hell I'd inform my company. Getting fired would probably be the least of my worries in that scenerio. In the future however, I would at least have the security of knowing that I couldn't be fired thanks to Ontario's Human Rights Commission! I'd still have to be cautious though I think, especially if I'm in the public school system.

The poll needs a 'case-by-case' option.

16. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I probably wouldn't do it. I am a very private person. And after hearing some very homophobic comments from my direct supervisor, I definitely wouldn't do it. I'd hate for him to possibly think less of me just because I don't fit his ideal. Though I must add the following, copied directly from the cover page of job advertisements: "Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, religious belief, age, national origin, marital status, physical disabilities, HIV status, gender, social origin, culture, political opinion or conscience and sexual orientation. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply"

It's a very laid-back company in general. Our dress code is informal, and they don't have a problem with people with visible piercings or tattoos either. Yes, it's a great workplace! (!)

17. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone