1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"What's next? Public nudity rights?"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Driftr

Does anyone know how to respond to this? I read on one of the pop culture forums I go on a lot that this was someone's parent's response to the SCOTUS ruling.

I kinda laughed it off, but then it hit me. What is really stopping public nudity (not just in those nude biking parades) from being legalized? Is it just to shield children from seeing nudity? Is it just a common decency thing?

I'm not saying that I support public nudity. I just thought I'd figure this out so I can shut these slippery slopers up.

Does anyone have a clue?

2. atoadaso

atoadaso Guest

I think it's part way between common decency & the human body being sexualized as soon as it's all or part of the way naked. I don't wanna see anybody naked anymore than those homophobes do. I fail to see the connection however. Straight married people aren't walking around nude.

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Someone's parent on a pop culture forum. Stop right there.

People say stupid and unintelligible things all the time, most of which we should probably ignore. Public nudity and gay marriage rights have nothing to do with each other. The only reason "this person" probably connected them was because they were probably a homophobe, and upon hearing the word "gay" they immediately think of sex, which reminds them of nudity. And thus they connect the two with their predisposed idea of the "ridiculousness" of both gay marriage and public nudity... yielding this nonsensical rubbish.

As to the issue of public nudity, I think it is a common decency thing. I mean, would you like to be flashed by some random person walking down the street? If you wanna be nude (the general you, not you you) do it in your own home and not in public.

Those are my thoughts at least.

4. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

I honestly agree

---------- Post added 27th Jun 2015 at 02:32 AM ----------

well said.

5. Emmanuella

This doesn't really answer your question (at all), but Sunday August 23rd is apparently international go-topless day...and I am DEFINITELY excited (though I won't personally be participating!!)
    There are many women across the world that currently fighting (and have been for decades) for the right to partial nudity in public (since men do have the right).

In all seriousness you ask a very interesting question. To answer the first part of your post, I would just dryly answer that " fighting for the right to marry somebody you are in love with --as 90% of people can already do, is NOT the same as fighting to run around naked. That is something that NOBODY CURRENTLY has the right to do. (okay, men do partially....but....nobody is allowed to be fully naked in public. in that regard, everybody is EQUAL. we all have the same right. You were allowed to marry your lover, now I have the same right. Again. EQUALITY" -- that would be my response.

As for why public nudity is not completely legalized. I (maybe it is just me and I am just a prude??) but I think that most people have an innate reluctance to go completely naked in public. A lot of us don't want to see everybody else's "special bits", and we want to save our own "special bits" for people who are special to us!? I don't know...

6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While public nudity and queer rights have nothing to do with each other....I will note that public nudity does no direct harm to anyone, and would argue for its legality (despite having no interest in engaging in it).

Seriously, it's only societal stigma making it seem weird.

Long story short, I suggest the bigots come up with a different pointless, unrelated topic to claim as a snowball effect.

7. Sarii

I, personally, would rather not see everyone's junk flying around in the breeze. On the same token, I wouldn't have the confidence/will to walk around nude.

8. Driftr

Nice to hear your insights. Thanks

I thought of this a bit more and realized that the main reason why many would be opposed to pubic nudity is because of children. If everyone is walking around with their genitals hanging out then children would essentially start having sex much younger and playing around with each others ding dongs. So because of that I have no problem with public nudity staying illegal.

Or perhaps I missed something, I dunno. But I'm just going to go with that until perhaps someone comes up with a better idea.

Also, I'm just scared that if such a movement like public nudity rights took off, people will be blaming gays by the droves for "paving the way" It's sad enough that people think that the world is going to shit just cause we are getting our rights.

#8 Driftr, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  9. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, often times there is some sort of logic behind social norms. I'd be interested in knowing if there were any health risks associated with nudity. I mean, in America people typically wipe their asses but smearing paper on it (many other countries, I believe, use bidets or whatever to wash it, which seems more sanitary). Then sitting down without any underwear or pants on where others have sat? You know those people that get skid marks? Yea... ew. I don't want people sitting down with their bare asses anywhere near me. In addition, hepatitis is spread through feces and it is not like HIV -- it can survive days or weeks exposed to the environment. Although, I am not sure how easily it would spread. I think it's best if we keep our clothes on... Seriously though, I don't know much about this so I can only speculate possible public health issues involved with this. I wonder if our ancestors originally covered up purely out of either fashion or comfort, or if there is some reasoning that made practically every civilization wear at least loincloths.

10. Foz

Foz Guest

Nudity is banned just for common decency, the excuse of 'to stop children being exposed' is ridiculous as most young kids have seen their friends naked!

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think laws against public nudity date back to Victorian era. People are socially conditioned to be horrified and embarrassed about nudity... but if you objectively think about it, why is seeing someone's genitals any different from seeing any other part of their body? Simply because somewhere, we were taught that this was wrong, dirty, inappropriate.

Sex and nudity are not inherently connected, and neither is dirty or wrong. (Though sexual expression/activity should probably be reserved for private spaces.) Nudity and touch are not inherently connected. But we keep passing down these judgmental beliefs without ever really examining them.

If you've ever been to a family-oriented nude beach or clothing-optional place... you see people from 2 to 102 nude. It's no big deal. I've talked to people who have grown up in these environments, and there's actually a book with a collection of published research on children raised in nudist/clothing optional environments. Surprise! They have lower incidence of delinquent behavior, typically have sex later than their clothed peers, and are generally better adjusted.

So what's to fear?

Well... you'll never get a straight answer out of the people opposed to it, because they really don't know why they're fearful.

12. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It may not have been law, but haven't there been social norms involving wearing clothing in almost all groups of people in history?

13. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because we are a clothed species and it embarrasses people to see naked people. You can be as naked as you like at home but we have to have some sort of respect for people's comfort in public. It would be weird walking around with loads of naked people.

14. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I support it completely. I think that the only reason why it's seen as taboo is because people choose to make it taboo. If people chose to chill the fuck out and stop making it a big deal, it wouldn't be.

Here's two examples:
    Breasts. There is absolutely nothing sexual about breasts. They are viewed as taboo because people sexualize them. They wouldn't be sexualized if they weren't taboo.

In primarily Muslim countries women can flash an ANKLE and the guys get excited. There's even less sexual about ankles than breasts.

15. Ditz

Interesting subject...

The acceptance of nudity in public is very much a cultural thing and it would be interesting to see the opinion of members from different countries on this forum.

I think a lot of it has to do with sexualisation... In cultures where nudity is taboo it often is sexualised, in other words nudity is only associated with sex, whereas in communities where nudity is accepted as normal, it is non-sexual. On that note, those apposing homosexuality also immediately sexualises it... A relationship with someone you fall in love with whether straight or gay is so much more than just sex, it's about companionship, support, interests etc. but when it comes down to being judged, ignorant bigots tend to focus on sex alone.

I've grown up between Germany and South Africa and in those two cultures alone there's a massive difference in approach when it comes to nudity... In Germany and Austria I've been to many unisex Saunas where you're not allowed to wear any swimsuits, everyone, young and old are in their birthday suites and don't really give it a second thought. In South Africa you might find that the guys will sauna together naked at the gym, but it is segregated and definitely not unisex. In Sweden I've had both mixed and non mixed sauna experiences... Nudity over there didn't seem to be much of an issue either.

On a recent snowboarding trip to Japan I've visited a couple of Onsen's after each day on the slopes. An Onsen's is a Japanese hot spring bath house where you have this whole traditional ritual that you have to go trough. Women and men are separated, each have their own Onsen. You basically get to a first room where you have to undress to your birthday suite, then you go to a second room where they have these little chairs that you sit on with a shower hose and bucket and you basically have to scrub yourself down. After that you're allowed to go into the hot spring, with your little wash cloth that you can put on your head or on the side of the tub, never in it.

In Africa a lot of the rural populations are not bothered by nudity either. In Tanzania I've seen Masai with capes and ornaments but everything else basically exposed. In South Africa some cultural groups go topless in their cultural wear etc.

The point that I'm trying to make is that it really is just a cultural thing... Besides, who doesn't love to go skinny dipping!!!

#15 Ditz, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  16. Driftr

You guys definitely brought up some great points which kind of made me reconsider my stance. Because it makes no sense that a guys torso and abs are seen as sexy, yet they are allowed to be shirtless in public and women can't be topless because that would be an "object of distraction." The funny thing is that shirtless guys are also an object of distraction to many straight woman, bisexuals and gays.

But I just feel like introducing public nudity in a country where the majority of people are religious would be disastrous for the country. I know for sure that more than half, if not 75% of the population would stay indoors to avoid seeing naked people which would affect the economy.

Also, I don't know if I'm wrong or not, but wouldn't the sexual assault and rape cases skyrocket if that ever happened? Or maybe it would because perhaps we as a society are not used to public nudity?

Anyway, I just feel like where we draw the line is public health because when people are nude and they sit on public benches or chairs, I guess diseases could be spread this way because some people don't wipe good enough down there lool.

17. Foz

Foz Guest

Amazon and Ebay have already done a good job of that!

18. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interestingly, in the places where full nudity is common, assault and rape are actually substantially lower, not higher. I think it is because people come to understand that nudity in itself is not sexual or arousing.

Well, for example, in cold season, many, many colds and flu are spread by doorknobs. And most nudists know to bring a towel to sit on :slight_smile:

19. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

I'm sure no one would like/want to see me naked, I have saggy legs and arms and my breasts are saggy, and I'm hairy all over the place's on my body I think people would throw up:roflmao:

20. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I support public nidity.