1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do many people hate the South?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LesbianThrasher, Jun 27, 2015.

1. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I guess since I lived in the South for as long as I can remember, I might not understand why there's so much hate towards this part of the US. I know that there are some problems with racists and has a pretty conservative population and all that but it's not like the other states are perfect either. Besides, the South is actually a really nice place to live and most people have better manners here than any other parts of the country (at least in my opinion).

Why so much hate?

2. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Iiiiiiii lloooooooovvveeeeee tttttttthhhhheeeeee sooooouuuttttthhh!

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only people who hate the south have never been there. It really is beautiful and populated with decent people. The only problem is that their rednecks are intense :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: and the general culture is different from other places so they are easy to stereotype. But it really is a place so rich with life and deserves consideration at least.

I have resolved to love the south and wish for progress with its problems.

[youtube]c-q7Mih69KE[/youtube]

#3 Argentwing, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry but I can't stand the South.

5. Cider

The answer I'm giving it from my perspective.

I don't think anyone I know actually truly hates the south, they just make jokes about it, and have preconceived ideas about it due to the media.

I can apply a real life example to myself. Since I'm black, I actually was kind of afraid to be visiting my cousin in Dallas for a week, because I thought the second I got there people would hurl racist slurs at me. That of course, turned out to be the opposite, there's diversity and most people are pretty outgoing and kind, and I wouldn't mind going there again! :slight_smile:

6. AlamoCity

Except for segments of the population, the south's a pretty diverse and wonderful place to live. I even plan on moving/retiring one day deep in the Hill Country (already live at the edge of it). Sure, the food will give you high cholesterol and the tea diabetes, but they're delicious :lol:.

As for the manners, it can be hit or miss. Many people are transplants and don't have the same manners as people who were raised here.

7. ThatFrostyGuy

It's always portrayed to me as being full of dumb, bible thumping, sexist, racist, homophobic, stupid people. And I'm british.

As we all know people like to check their facts (/sarcasm) that seems to be how people assume all AMERICAN southerners are. Obviously not true but stereotypes usually exist for a reason.

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The South can be a very beautiful place and a very interesting part of the US, filled with interesting views, places, food, and so on. I just happen to dislike the racism, homophobia, and sexism that is very prevalent in that region of the US. I also dislike the Southern culture of shunning everything that is different than what they already know. It also has a political fervor for revolution and saying "Fuck you" to DC and the North and Pacific West Coast, while always taking much more money from the Fed than they put into it.

These six charts should outrage any Southerner.

[YOUTUBE]6Y_m3beW0C0[/YOUTUBE]

9. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

Probably because of the historical baggage it has and how people are very quick to see what's happening now and pointing out that things haven't changed much in such a long time (usually with things having to do with social change).

10. Lazuri

Because alligators are fucking terrifying. It's the perfect predator.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heh I just had the opportunity to visit Dallas recently. I was pleasantly surprised by the hospitality. That and it's a modern city with people from all over. There's actually a disproportionate number of Indians (as in the Asian variety) which I thought was bizarre, but not unwelcome. My gf has a couple Indian cousins by marriage and they are the best people :love:

Lol, as a Floridian, I can count the number of wild gators I've seen on one hand. However it does preclude the ability to wade/swim in any fresh water because there is bound to be at least one nearby.

12. BelleFromHell

Because it sucks here. Take it from someone who has never stepped foot outside of the southeast.

They ARE. They act like they fucking own Florida now!

[​IMG]

13. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to say that most of the people I know who are outspoken in their dislike for the South (and there really aren't all that many) are from there.

14. Gentlewoman

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't hate the South. I hate the Confederate Flag and that for which it stands, I hate the rampant Last Cause .bullshit, and I hate the prevalence of monuments and memorials to the Confederacy.

15. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The south really is beautiful but in the counties near where I live,there's lots of trash just scattered around and it's so sad to see such a nice landscape have so much litter.
    As for the rednecks, I feel like the more rural areas houses some of the most extreme and dirtiest ones I've ever seen.

16. Gallatin

The South's not perfect, but neither is any other part of the country. After all, the Northeast has the Patriots and the Bruins, so there goes that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At least we have sweet tea...

18. Chi and Bashful

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I agree some of the nicest people I've met are in the south and ironically I've experienced more racism and prejudice in the north

19. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I hate the south, not the people from the south.
    I cannot understand your weird accents.
    I hate rural areas, I live in one, the nearest house is a quarter mile, and it is not a skyscraper.
    Rural areas are common in the south.
    People here dislike the North more commonly than Northernors.
    People here hate urban and modern areas.
    It is easier to get sunburnt the closer to the equator you go, I would rather wear winter clothing before February than have to continue to put sunscreen on if I go outside for more than 10-20 minutes.
    Yankee is an insult here, yet people who live here are Americans.
    Pickup trucks, rednecks, redneck fixes, and tractors are extremely annoying.
    Outdoor farms are annoying.
    Lack of sidewalks is annoying.
    Lack of building taller than two stories is torture.
    There are not enough urban areas here.
    Un-American is more of an insult here than in the Northern states.

If I could choose to live in any country, it would be the UK, there they speak English and not American, use more metric, and I would not be as outnumbered for using the UK keyboard layout.

#19 PerfectlyNormal, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  20. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've actually hear more people saying that the north is more racist than in the south. I know my mother who used to live up there says that she encountered more racism during her childhood. As for me, I've yet to experience any racism at all and people are so much more polite here than in the north. Of course, there are rude people but not compared to the northern states.