1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe in a personal god? (poll)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Suspector, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Suspector

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm curious if those in the LGBT community happen to believe less in the concept of a god.

I for one, don't see how someone can be Gay and believe in a personal god such as the Christian God represented via Bible

2. Dextoid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think a lot of churches have done a grand job alienating LGBT people from spirituality entirely, which I think is too bad, as it should be left up to each of us looking inside ourselves and considering nothing else.

Personally, I was very spiritually incluned as a teenager, now I'm more or less atheist/agnostic. I'm not adament that there's absolutely nothing out there beyond what we can see, I just really have zero interest in exploring it. That's not because I'm gay, though. I was all about researching different pantheons as a teenager, well after my gayness went into full swing. I don't know what changed, to be honest.

Not much of a story, eh? :wink:

3. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not religious.

But I don't claim atheism either.

I believe there is a God, but not a god that we can perceive, understand, or even know of. Because literally - it's a concept beyond humans - for that we know of right now.

I'm quite spiritual; and I'm not afraid to express that side of myself. I believe in science, but I believe there is something to be found in both spirituality and science... Claiming to be one versus the other is frivolous.

Also; if I can't fully give myself to a religion - seeing how each religion would at least have some conflict with who I am now - and what I identify with. (Being LGBT is one thing.)

Then I can't convert and become religious. I know people out there that are LGBT(and etc.) and religious and that's perfectly fine.

But it's not something I can do myself.

4. Still Me

I reject the Christian God because of the inconsistency I see in my own family. As far as the existence of a deity in general, I don't know. I believe that there are forces that are beyond my understanding. If some of those are or were created by a conscious force, so be it. I really don't feel like I was supposed to spend my life trying to figure out whether there is a God or not. Its not something that interests me.

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    There are very many on here who are LGBT+ and believe in the God of the Bible or other personal gods. Saying that someone shouldn't be or aren't is erasure, which is never okay.

6. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Arfff!

to be honest i dont believe in god, i used to but not anymore.
    not since i found out that there is no way i can be gay and be a devoted moslem at the same time.
    But personally i believe in a higher power that control this universe. But it aint the god that commonly taught and preached about

7. Ashley2103

I don't believe there is a god. I'm not atheist though. I am pretty sure there isn't an afterlife, but part of me really really wants to believe there is one, as easy as it is to see it is probably just imagination. I guess its just human nature to want to not die off completely. No offense intended to those who follow a religion.

8. Simple Thoughts

I don't believe there is a god.

Being Bisexual and all the things I went through with my father were a major turning point for me in terms of religion. I guess the best way to think of it is that the way religion treated me for my sexuality was what pushed me out the door, but what keeps me out of the door is my own reasonings and understandings of the world.

I actually hate the fact that it took being bisexual myself to step back from religion, because I would have been one of the people posting under the # OneManOneWoman if my sexuality hadn't happened. It bothers me so much to think that if I hadn't been forced out the door of religion I would have ultimately been a terrible person is kinda a bothersome thought.

I guess I was lucky enough to have an event in my life tear me away from a bad religion.

I am aware that not all religion shares in this hatred and close mindedness, but that doesn't really change the fact that I'm rather jaded to the concept of religion myself.

Anyways...

The reason I'm out of the door of religion and not searching for any spirtuality that fits me is because I see no reason to believe. There is no evidence of a god, there is no reason to think there would be one, and if there is one they are either completely univolved with the world or get a chuckle out of human suffering. Either way, I wouldn't see the point in caring about their existence.

9. Ardi

Out Status:
    Some people
    I was raised in a religious household; my mother is catholic and my father is Jewish. We would always celebrate both holidays and while it was a fun way to get together with family and such, as I grew older, I slowly began to question the idea of whether or not there was actually a God.

And about a year or two ago, I have decided that I don't believe in God for various reasons.

Yup that's my story... Not really much of one, haha.

10. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

No, I'm an atheist

11. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I identify as Agnostic for now, although I'm more inclined to believe in a higher force.

12. bulbul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I do believe in God yes. It's true most religious ppl don't like the LGBT community, but why?!! Because we r an abomination? Are they so "righteous" they hate anyone who does something they believe is wrong? Because if u look closely into their own personal lives, u will see all kinds of sins, from lying, cursing & talking about ppl behind their backs all the way to stealing and adultery. So what the hell is their problem? Their problem is they just want someone to hate on, who knows maybe they think that God will forget about their wrong doings if they become vocal about other ppl's businesses.

In the end I believe that no body represents God nor can they stop anyone from having a relationship with him.

13. blackhatguy

It really depends on the day, to be honest. Though sometimes it seems like things work out better than they really should.

I'm most familiar with the LDS view on God, who is portrayed as patient and loving to all, regardless of sexual orientation, spiritual beliefs, or what they've done. But, under this view, He commands sexual relations to be between man and woman, lawfully wedded. So that's been a little complicated lately.

14. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, I can't say that I believe in any deity as an agnostic atheist/humanist. I've read excerpts from many Holy Books, and have read the Bible cover to cover about 6 times, and I have not seen any evidence of any of the obvious fables and "tall tales" for lack of a better word are anything but. It's simply the conclusion I've come to. I even do not believe in a deity that is not a part of any religion out there.

15. Par

Par

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes! I believe in the Christian God - except I don't take outdated verses/laws out of context and use them to discriminate against people.

16. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I do. I don't think God is well represented by most churches or religious institutions, or within holy scripture - certainly not in the Bible anyway, but these are somewhat different issues. My personal relationship with God is very important to me.

17. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  18. Cider

Yes, I do.

19. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, I don't believe in any of the thousands of gods the human race have dreamt up over the centuries.

20. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I believe in the divinity of nature, that god is simply the ground on which we walk on and the connection that we have with the world around us. God also exists as an abstract manifestation of a narrative and its influence on us all as a result of our shared experience.

#20 Eveline, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015