1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans Women vs. Cis Women

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MysteriousMadam, Jun 29, 2015.

1. MysteriousMadam

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I was looking around on the internet, basically procrastinating (I was going to try and work on my singing today) and I came across a blog post about Caitlyn Jenner. Long story short, the blog said that trans women, like Caitlyn Jenner, objectify women (they just said women, I'm assuming they were talking about cis women because they are already mentioning trans women in a not-so-great light) by acting like they are women by getting breasts and wearing make-up, nail polish, and clothing that is traditionally female. I've heard this argument SO MANY TIMES before (in real life and over the internet) and it seems like the basis of the argument is the fact that cis women have had to put up with periods, breast development, and female puberty. Along with that, cis women have the ability to give birth which can be fatal or dangerous. Apparently, trans women are trying to "proclaim" womanhood when they can never do the things cis women can (having kids and having a period are the two things that keep popping up). Along with that, them getting breasts and wearing make-up are objectifying women and putting them in a sexual light when that's not what real womanhood is about.

To be blunt, I think this argument is bullshit. I find it to be transphobic in a very sneaky way. You're basically saying that trans women are not real women, which speaks for itself, but then you're trying to act like you care about women and the struggles they go through. I also find this argument to be really hypocritical because you're saying make-up and breasts don't represent real womanhood, but bleeding a little bit every month does? There are cis women who can't have periods, so now they're not real women? Also, I wear make-up, a ton of cis women wear make-up. Are we objectifying ourselves? It's a slap in the trans women because they're not even "objectifying" or trying to "proclaim" anything, they just want to be themselves. It's such bullshit, oh my god.
    I want to make a good rebuttal against this argument, but I don't really know what to say. And I almost feel like I can't make a good argument because I'm not a trans woman, I don't know their experiences and how they personally feel when people say stuff like this.

I need some input. And I'm sorry, I didn't even plan to get so heated, it's just that I'm tired of hearing this. What do you think is a good rebuttal for something like this? What can I do when I hear stuff like this?

2. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It is hypocritical: if we're going by numbers alone, I'm sure there are way more cis women who wear make up, get implants, etc. but I don't see the same level of outrage aimed at them (maybe I've missed them). Also, you could argue that trans women are pressured into being extra femme, in order to pass and go unnoticed. Trans men and women seem to be held to higher standards, ie they're told, if straight, "Why didn't you just stay the way you were, if you're still going to be attracted to men/women?" And if they step out of bounds, people go, "You see? You're a pretender!"

I also think a part of it involves trans women going "crazy" with the freedom they have: male-bodied folk aren't exactly encouraged to paint their nails and wear lingerie, so when someone has the chance to, and it's a step in expressing their true selves, yeah, it can be a focus for a while! Again, plenty of teenage girls go through similar phases, and that's what it is for many, basically: a second puberty.

Simply put, it's a vocal minority that's upset simply because a "man" is doing it. They're black-and-white thinkers who believe gender is entirely constructed, while at the same time, think everyone and anyone born with a male or female body shares the same experiences. I don't think there's any changing their mind, but if you can punch holes in their arguments, others can take notice and become more receptive to those views.

3. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Not all trans women are feminine either, I've met a few that aren't. It's all bullshit and just looking to spread hate.

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Feminism needs to accept, support, and protect all of our sisters, not just cis-ters!

5. MysteriousMadam

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You know what, I like this. I'm going to steal this and never give it back...
    (Jk :lol: :wink:)

---------- Post added 29th Jun 2015 at 05:48 PM ----------

Gravechild, to comment on your comment (lol) there was a girl who was in my English class was "outraged" with the whole Caitlyn Jenner thing when it first came out due to the sexualization and objectification of women and she said that, and I quote, "If a girl our age [around 15 going on 16] was flat-chested and told everyone that she wanted bigger breasts, everyone would shame her but when transgender women do the same thing, they're celebrated. It's so disgusting!"
    And in my head I was like, "uh no it's the other way around but okay..."

6. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I agree this is where the line gets drawn.

In this scenario, you have two oppressed minority parties that aren't race. So the question becomes "If you choose a side, which should it be?"

The overall goal of feminism is acceptance of everybody. That's really where it's leading to. So when you look at it, which party is the one left out? That's the one to side with.

7. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

I love you for this (*hug*)

8. Lipstick Leuger

That is why I am glad Michfest is in it's last year. They did not accept Transwomen as our sisters. It pissed me off.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Trans women get murdered at one of the highest rates among any group all over the world, and those cis women want to claim that their womanhood is more dangerous than trans women's?

10. MysteriousMadam

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think this year alone, there have been 8 trans women who were murdered. And that's just in the US

:bang: