1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DATING apps/sites

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ThatFrostyGuy, Jun 30, 2015.

1. ThatFrostyGuy

I'm a firm believer that relationships are best when they happen spontaneously from friendships, but I've been feeling very lonely recently and I've been think about using online dating to find someone. I'm not interested in hook ups.

However I'm 18 and I've always got the impression that online dating is for middle-aged divorcees. I guess I just feel a bit lame wanting to turn to online dating because I can't find anyone in real life. :confused:

Also I am going to uni in two months so I could see what happens there, but two months is a long time.

Anyway, anyone got any opinions or suggestions for apps?

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like Seven Asterisks.

3. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is against the forum rules. Sorry mate.

ETA: I got a bit unsure about if it actually is now. I think it is though, right?

#3 Phalange, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  4. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always been against online dating. Awesome, genuine people are few and far between on those sites/apps. I would just wait until you go off to school, 2 months really isn't that long. On top of that, if you find someone via online dating... What are you going to do when you go off to school? Drop them?

As far as mentioning specific sites/apps, that's against EC policy.

5. guitar

Talking about dating sites goes against forum rules. All I can say is try Google.

As far as using them, I've had 2 long term relationships come from online so it can totally work. There was a thread called The Do's and Don'ts of online dating. I would recommend reading that so you know what you're getting yourself into.

6. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My only suggestion for sites and/or apps, chat with someone for a while, and meet a few times in a public space before going somewhere private. Stay safe.

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't tried on-line dating, with or without Seven Asterisks mentioned by Pret Allez. Part of this avoidance of on-line dating is hearing the horror stories from those who have tried it, and found it...ah...wanting.

There is something to be said for waiting 2 months. I think people in a university setting might have an advantage of meeting someone to date. There is a large number of people roughly your age, and many might be interested in finding someone to date. Honestly, it's a situation I can only dream of now--if I were to think of dating, my options for meeting gay or bi men in the real world are considerably more limited; in my age bracket, on-line (as much as I personally hate the idea) might be the only option.

All the above said, I read an article in a local student newspaper, and from what it said, there were people at that college who were using on-line dating. Of course, that's at a specific school at a specific location.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To the OP, I actually have known more middle aged hetero divorcees who have found their next relationship on dating sites than I have any another demographic group. They've done the married thing. Some have had kids. They want more of the same. And I was surprised to see the caliber (well, looks wise) of the people who had success with that. You wouldn't think they would even need on-line dating. You'd think they'd just meet people.

For LGBT people, the important thing is to stay safe. Meet in a neutral place with a lot of people nearby. Trust your gut (not always right). Go from there.

Actually, staying safe during this process is also very important for straight people, too.

It's a process I don't like. I've had some FWB situations. They all ended amicably. I'm a little tired of that now. I don't know why. More depressed? A little older? Perhaps.