1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to write GOOD movie reviews

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by edy, Jun 30, 2015.

1. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    I always wanted to write movie reviews. There's this guy (pretty much a Roger Ebert wannabe), and I used like his reviews (although I strongly disagree with some of his opinions), and I just read some of them last night

Now, I have his words stuck in my head. Almost like I couldn't writing anything without copying him...when I don't really like him anymore! I really want to have my own style, but every time I try to write a movie review, I have writer's block and it's so frustrating :bang:

2. Jellal

How about, try approaching the review from a different angle. For example, maybe give your advice as an analytical critic vs your opinion based on overall how enjoyable you found the film. Some movies are technically really well made but aren't necessarily entertaining. Pointing out what you enjoy personally vs what's "objectively" good or bad about the film might make your review more unique, as long as you make sure to differentiate those two frames of thought within your review. Just one idea there.

3. thepandaboss

I'm repeating advice I've heard from dozens of other writing instructors and gurus. But basically, your first million words are going to be crap. The key is to stick with it until you get to the next million.

Okay, so that's a bit of a blanket statement. But it really does speak to the idea that you can't improve as a writer unless you have extensive, practical experience. I think what you need to do is basically watch as many movies from different genres as you can. Foreign films, horror films. Oscar winners, low budget crap.

Maybe consider taking a film studies class or reading up on the subject? You don't necessarily need to know as much as an industry insider but it does help to be familiar with filmmaking and artistic conventions so you'll be able to specifically identify why something works (or doesn't) in a particular film.

Also, keep writing. You'll never get better without practice.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That depends on the direction you want to take things. I know depending on the site I share it with, it's more formal and forward and other times it's laid back and full of puns and pop culture jokes making fun of the movie (or whatever it is) if it's bad enough.

5. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    thanks

6. Posthuman666

Not repeating why the movie was horrible or amazing over and over again without reason. Explain what elements of the movie, such as plot and story, script, acting, special effects, and all that good stuff. Just do not go on and on about how much the movie sucked without giving any reason.

Understand the movie for what it is. Don't expect a horror film to have great fight scenes. But don't think that it can't. Be open, but acknowledge the genre and purpose of the film.

7. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    You know what? When I had to write a new review for a totally different film, I copied the last review because I run out of ideas very quickly :tears:

#7 edy, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  8. PurpleDude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'll tell you what I don't like about movie reviews, maybe that will be helpful in some way.

I don't like seeing reviews that compare movies to each other. if it's being done to point out how another movie did something better especially. comparing movies within a franchise, you can't really avoid that, but it doesn't need to be overly done. basically, I want to see an honestly written review that states why I should or shouldn't spend my time on that film, without wandering off-subject.

9. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

Improving your own writing depends not just on writing, revising, and writing some more (practice makes perfect approach) but also on reading more, in this case more and different reviews from different reviewers. Look at some of the biggies in the field, they're bound to have collections of their own reviews (like Roger Ebert or Pauline Kael) or online archives. Find out who's read and why they're read, find the reviews you like or dislike and figure out WHY that review does or doesn't work for you. Film appreciation is half the battle in this case, the other half being an appreciation of the writing as well.

10. Gen

Gen

I used to have a blog for book reviews. The best advice that I would give is bring something more to the table than a review. For instance, I lived for sarcasm and dry pretentious humor so I allowed that to shine through in my reviews. You could feel the personality and that is primarily what allow people to want to keep reading my thoughts.

Very few in the general public care about what university film professors think about the latest film. They want to hear the thoughts of people they identify with. People that make them laugh. People they find endearing. You want to write reviews that people will enjoy reading regardless of whether they even considered going to watch the movie, pick up the game, buy the book, etc.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Could have swore you posted this a while back...

Wait, you did.

I'll just copy and paste what I said there:

If you want some examples:

Terrible Sequels: Jaws 2, Part I
    Terrible Sequels: Jaws 2, Part II

Terrible Sequels: Jaws 3D, Part I
    Terrible Sequels: Jaws 3D, Part II still in development.

I wanted to be informative and fair. I take into account the year something is made, the technical limitations of the time, and overall context. I also throw in stupid or amusing tidbits to maintain a sense of fun. The goal isn't to glorify or rip the film, but to sell it as best as I can, while being honest.

Too many "reviewers" take the extremely negative approach (Nostalgia Critic), and while that can be amusing, it's not refreshing. You can do the negative approach, but you have to balance it with something else; add your own style and flare.

Bottom line, you want to entertain those who read/listen to you. Otherwise, they won't be coming back, and they can find somebody else to satisfy their reviewing hunger. But most importantly, if you give off appealing vibes, folks will know and want to be around that. So have fun with it.